Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 13:18   #1

Boat: Laguna 30
Replacing diesel with electric

Has anyone actually done this? As soon as I hear from the engine guy I may be at a point to choose. I like the idea of electric, never buying diesel fuel appeals to me.

I know solar panels and batteries aren't cheap, but neither is fuel.
I know an electric motor will run out of battery juice before an engine will run out of fuel.
I know that an electric motor won't give me the top end that a diesel will.
I know the sun won't always shine to charge the batteries.

I also know that with electric I can eliminate raw water strainers, impellers, exhaust manifolds, heat exchangers and all sort of other stuff that I don't understand.

So...
Has anyone actually done this?
Old 26-06-2017, 14:09   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Replacing diesel with electric

Lots of threads on it around here... but apparently lots would depend on how you intend to use the propulsion. Only in and out of marinas? Several folks here have said electric could be viable for that.

Serious cruising? Or even normal auxiliary for use when wind doesn't cooperate? Or in emergencies? Many here say it's either a) not ready for prime time yet, and/or b) expensive. Check out the various threads...

-Chris
Old 26-06-2017, 14:31   #3

Boat: Bayliner 3870

As to your questions, more information is needed.

Big boat, small boat? Sailboat or Powerboat? intended cruising or local sailing?

I have not done the conversion but did the research a couple years ago and almost pulled the trigger on a setup for my Ranger 33. I forget the name of it now, but it would have netted me 4hrs cruise @ 4 knots on a 48volt system. That would have been in and out of Little Creek with a 10 mile cruising range and some left over for an emergency. It would have been fine, except the Chesapeake Bay is known for going from 10-15 knots of wind to 0 in an afternoon. I've had to make 20-30 mile runs back to port because of this and the limited range of the electric would have required me to get towed in.

At the time I was contemplating rebuilding my Atomic 4, going with a diesel conversion, or the electric. All were expensive, money losing options. I went with the Atomic 4 rebuild since it cost me the least in more ways then one. The electric conversion would have made it unsalable.
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 14:47   #4

Boat: Riva 48

I believe electric on boats will follow the car evolution. First hybrids will appear (for example, 15 nm range on batteries+a small, constant rpm generator to boost range), then retrofits putting the batteries in the engine compartment with the motor on a pod (like a sail drive) and finally boats will be designed from the ground up to be electric putting the batteries in the keel and bringing the cockpit to be nearly level with the salon+a small backup generator.

If I were to do it, I would go hybrid today, so you will still need to deal with the exhaust, etc.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 18:27   #5

Thanks for the responses. To give the requested more information,

30' sail, Chesapeake now but moving to SE Georgia hopefully before Thanksgiving. So mostly local/coastal but I plan the trip to Georgia to be outside, between the east coast and the Gulf Stream. I plan on using sails whenever out, but will have a small gasoline generator for backup.

Any more information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 26-06-2017, 18:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Lots of threads on it around here... but apparently lots would depend on how you intend to use the propulsion. Only in and out of marinas? Several folks here have said electric could be viable for that.

Serious cruising? Or even normal auxiliary for use when wind doesn't cooperate? Or in emergencies? Many here say it's either a) not ready for prime time yet, and/or b) expensive. Check out the various threads...

-Chris
+1. Good summary of recent threads!

It all depends on your "use case". Size of boat and how and where you use it are the main determining factors. Lots of long previous threads here discussing the pros and cons if you search here.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 18:52   #7

Respectfully-
That's my problem, my Google-** has always been weak. I've never been able to get search results I was looking for even after people said there are thousands of threads on the subject. My search always comes back with either nothing or 1 million things that might mention for example the word diesel or mention the word electric or mention the word replace. This is why I ask specific questions looking for specific answers.
I was looking for someone who had actually done the conversion with the hope that I might take this to PMs and pick their brain.

So...

Anybody?
Old 26-06-2017, 20:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Go to "Search" on the top menu and enter replace diesel with electric in the "Google Custom Search" box. Don't use the top box - it is not nearly as good.

I just did it and most of the first two pages of links are directly relevant to your question.
Old 26-06-2017, 20:42   #9

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 26-06-2017, 20:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is probably a good starter thread with lots of appropriate links to other threads:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-183966.html
Old 26-06-2017, 20:44   #11

Thanks again!
Old 27-06-2017, 09:23   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The replies so far summarize the issue pretty well but to get into great and glorious detail Stu gave you a good starting point.

My summary (similar to those above).

Electric eliminates a lot of engine related stuff but at a sacrifice or at the cost of other trade-offs.

The main one is range. If you only need to get from the marina to open water then no problem. If you're 30 miles from home, the wind dies and you have to get back or else then it will be or else.

To get the range back you have to add a LOT of batteries and/or a generator. A small portable generator may not give you enough power to motor or only enough to motor at a very slow speed. You might have to do a long, slow recharge of your batteries to get going.

Just for a rough comparison, 25 HP translates 18 kW. A Honda EU2000 portable has a constant rated output of about 1.6 kW. You will certainly get some electric fans chime in that electric motors are stronger and need fewer kWs to move than equivalent HP from a diesel but even if you allow for that the difference is only a few percent, not 5 or 10 times better.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:30   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Your not finding 'how I did it' stories on conversion to electric is no surprise. Many including me have researched the issue and concluded that today it is just not practical. The range limitation is very real unless you reserve your motoring to in marina situations or your sailing to short range from port or anchorage.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:16   #14

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Hi, I converted our Tartan 27-2 to electric. I am very happy with it. When we bought our boat the old diesel was dead. It had been read from numerous accounts that the old Farymann was underpowered and expensive to repair. Putting in the electric drive cost me almost half of what a new diesel would of been. But ours is a very basic system. We have no vibration, is quiet, and do not winterize so we can sail in December and Febuary (which we did). We docked next to some friends of ours at a marina and they did not hear us come in! But we have about 4 hours of run time which in our 5th season has been plenty. if we need more that that we will get a portable generator. A 30' boat would require more energy, so that might require bigger or more expensive batteries. Ours are 190 amp/hr, lead acid. For short use, you can't beat it.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:49   #15

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Check out this site, these kids are wandering around the Carib with their electric powered sail boat, their YouTube channel has good video of the installation it looks doable.......

Sailing Uma— Electro-Beke
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, electric