Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2014, 03:56   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Replacement Engine Prices

Hi all, looks like I need to plan for a re power in 2015. I currently have a vp 2003T 43hp in a 36 foot steel ketch. Displacement is about 12-13 tons.

I'm probably keen on a yanmar but open to other thoughts.

What is a new engine likely to cost?
Do new engines include their respective control panels, wiring, engine mounts etc?
I presume they include the gearbox ?

Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 04:36   #2

Boat: Rival 36
Re: Replacement engine prices

Ted,
We went through the exact same process two years ago with a 2003T replacement. Our options were limited as the space in our Vancouver 36 (11 tonnes) was restricted by the relatively small footprint of the turbocharged 2003. We went in the end for a Beta 38 against the Yanmar 39. Cost around US10,000 for the engine and gearbox and another US4,000 for fitting and other bits and pieces. The work was done in Florida. Great engine (now done 550 hours) and helped us cross the Atlantic back to the UK. Fuel consumption is good and the engine will cruise at 5 knots at 2,000 rpm and 6 knots at 2,500 rpm with a Maxprop (had to be switched around as the shaft rotates the other way on a Beta from a Volvo).

I am sure the Yanmar would also be a good engine, but the Beta is simple to maintain and parts are cheap (I have done all our servicing and I am no mechanic!). I guess it depends on what is available where you are.

Good luck with your choice.
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 04:37   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Ted,

I have recently witnessed people paying VASTLY different prices depending on how much of the work they do themselves.

I just saw an invoice, issued out of Sydney on a client's boat, for two 60HP diesels, Kubota conversions I think, for $12K each (no transmissions but including instrument panels), but then the same invoice had an installation cost for the engines of nearly $20K each. (Yes, that was $20K for EACH engine, $40K total install cost, PLUS the engines.) That was from a big Sydney boat outfit, with a good reputation.

Contrast this with a local guy at our club who bought a 15HP (Nanni I think, or maybe he was removing the Nanni and putting something else in...) for $6K with transmission and panel and installed it himself, I think he ran up about $1K in hoses, fittings etc. And he seems pretty purist and fussy, I don't think that would have been a shoddy conversion.

Someone else I know paid $40K odd to have an 85HP installed in their boat semi recently. I don't know if that included the gearbox.

Finally, I have priced a changeover engine for our boat, (just in case, as far as I know our engine is ok) from a truck spares place in NSW, and they can provide me with a long block non-marinised version of our 96HP engine for $2500 with a reasonable warranty, and the only other costs will be whatever I cannot recycle from the original marinisation. Realistically I would have to say there's gonna be a grand or two there if I am unlucky, and practically no cost at all if all the bits are still ok (manifold, heat exchanger and water pump">raw water pump.).

So, not sure if any of that helps, except to maybe suggest that self install, if practical, is a good price option.

Matt
Old 19-08-2014, 04:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmartin View Post
Ted,
We went through the exact same process two years ago with a 2003T replacement. Our options were limited as the space in our Vancouver 36 (11 tonnes) was restricted by the relatively small footprint of the turbocharged 2003. We went in the end for a Beta 38 against the Yanmar 39. Cost around US10,000 for the engine and gearbox and another US4,000 for fitting and other bits and pieces. The work was done in Florida. Great engine (now done 550 hours) and helped us cross the Atlantic back to the UK. Fuel consumption is good and the engine will cruise at 5 knots at 2,000 rpm and 6 knots at 2,500 rpm with a Maxprop (had to be switched around as the shaft rotates the other way on a Beta from a Volvo).

I am sure the Yanmar would also be a good engine, but the Beta is simple to maintain and parts are cheap (I have done all our servicing and I am no mechanic!). I guess it depends on what is available where you are.

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks. I'm not sure of foot print imitations. I'm hoping I'll have few as my engine bay is fairly big. I'll have to measure it all up. I had not realized a Beta rotates a different direction. And we can get Beta's here. I don't know much about them yet other than they seem to have good reviews overseas. I don't like the colour though 😳 I'd be after a 43hp in a beta I think. Does the price include gearbox, control panels, mounts etc? What doesn't it include?
Old 19-08-2014, 04:52   #5

Boat: Rival 36

Ted. Yes the engine Beta supplies comes with everything. If you are not fitting it yourself (we didn't) it would be good idea to get your engineer to have a look at the options offered by any manufacturer so the right parts are ordered. There are various options on the type of display/instruments/alternator you want, but all the bits are openly priced. We (and the guy who fitted the engine) found Beta staff in the US and UK very helpful, but that's probably not much use to you in Australia!
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 04:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ted,

I have recently witnessed people paying VASTLY different prices depending on how much of the work they do themselves.

I just saw an invoice, issued out of Sydney on a client's boat, for two 60HP diesels, Kubota conversions I think, for $12K each (no transmissions but including instrument panels), but then the same invoice had an installation cost for the engines of nearly $20K each. (Yes, that was $20K for EACH engine, $40K total install cost, PLUS the engines.) That was from a big Sydney boat outfit, with a good reputation.

Contrast this with a local guy at our club who bought a 15HP (Nanni I think, or maybe he was removing the Nanni and putting something else in...) for $6K with transmission and panel and installed it himself, I think he ran up about $1K in hoses, fittings etc. And he seems pretty purist and fussy, I don't think that would have been a shoddy conversion.

Someone else I know paid $40K odd to have an 85HP installed in their boat semi recently. I don't know if that included the gearbox.

Finally, I have priced a changeover engine for our boat, (just in case, as far as I know our engine is ok) from a truck spares place in NSW, and they can provide me with a long block non-marinised version of our 96HP engine for $2500 with a reasonable warranty, and the only other costs will be whatever I cannot recycle from the original marinisation. Realistically I would have to say there's gonna be a grand or two there if I am unlucky, and practically no cost at all if all the bits are still ok (manifold, heat exchanger and raw water pump.).

So, not sure if any of that helps, except to maybe suggest that self install, if practical, is a good price option.

Matt
Holy $&@$. On my boat were receipts and a bill from 2006 (I think) when the engine was overhauled in Cairns for $16500. For a rebuild! I couldn't believe it. The guy who owned it was a Doctor and I guess he had more money than sense. A massive $8 g was in labour.
Old 19-08-2014, 17:20   #7

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40
Re: Replacement Engine Prices

Ted

We are currently waiting for our new engine to arrive in country. We have ordered a new Volvo sail drive version. We own a Naut 40 by Joe Adams which for 33 years of her life has had a Bukh 36hp engine. We put a re-conditioned engine in 3 years ago as the original Bukh had 22,000 hrs cranked up. This cost us $1400 to replace like for like.

Now we find the re-conditioned engine is literally worthless and have been quoted $10,000 just for spare parts.

Needless to say we are VERY unhappy as the Bukh dealers in Sydney have washed their hands of the situation by saying the mechanics who discovered the problems are simply overservicing. A new Bukh engine only is $16,000 and if we wanted to replace the gearbox and the saildrive unit, the cost would be $22,000 without installation.

By changing to Volvo, we are able to fit a larger engine (55hp) complete with gearbox and sail drive unit at $14,000 with an estimate of $10,000 for installation.

Trust this gives you some $$$$ info

Sapient Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 17:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Holy $&@$. On my boat were receipts and a bill from 2006 (I think) when the engine was overhauled in Cairns for $16500. For a rebuild! I couldn't believe it. The guy who owned it was a Doctor and I guess he had more money than sense. A massive $8 g was in labour.
Ah, might be a medico thing... the client is a surgeon with a 60' cat.

I still have the original paperwork for our Diecon converted Nissan ED33. $2900 including instrument panel and transmission, but that was back in the 80's. And, that would have been a low mileage engine from Japan, back then I think they had to decommission the vehicles at 40,000km. So I think of our engine as 2000 hrs PLUS 40,000km.

Matt
Old 19-08-2014, 17:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
...as the original Bukh had 22,000 hrs cranked up.
Seriously!? 22,000!? That's brilliant.

Matt
Old 19-08-2014, 18:07   #10

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Oooops!

Got my zeros and 2's mixed up there. The correct figure was 20,200 which is still a lot of hours and did give fantastic service. Which is why we went with a re-conditioned unit the next time. So much other history on our choice made the scrapping of the Bukh a no brainer though.

Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 18:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
The correct figure was 20,200 which is still a lot of hours and did give fantastic service.
Hey, at that end of the scale, 20,000 vs 22,000, that's still brilliant. I will be happy if we get 5000 out of our old monster, and ecstatic with 10,000.

Not that I can see us reaching either figure, given how little we get to use the boat.

Matt
Old 19-08-2014, 19:08   #12

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Hi Ted, just in the slow process of swapping out my old bukh 20dv for a secondhand nanni 30 hp. I seriously considered a new beta 35, nice engines (they do do white paint as well as red).

Franklin marine in the huon sell and install betas down here. I think it was around the 12k-13k mark all up for a 43hp about a year ago.

I have seen some volvo and yanmar spares prices so didnt want to touch them. $50 for a small bolt painted green… ouch.

Whats up with the old motor?
Old 19-08-2014, 20:08   #13

We replaced a Perkins M50 for a Beta38 a couple of years ago. We did everything ourselves. The motor/transmission was around 10k. We went ahead and replaced the fuel tanks, lines, fittings, prop, etc and came in around 15k total cost for the repower.
Old 19-08-2014, 20:26   #14

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Damn fine engine, a Bukh, its a work of art! You can find reconditioned Bukh's in the UK quite cheaply. Very few engines are SOLAS certified for lifeboat use. One feature I like is that it is able to start with no battery via a wind-up starter motor.

To the OP>

If you repower with a different engine, you could be in for big $$$ on things that don't line up, turn the wrong way, locations of mounts etc.
Old 19-08-2014, 22:38   #15

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Damn fine engine, a Bukh, its a work of art! You can find reconditioned Bukh's in the UK quite cheaply. Very few engines are SOLAS certified for lifeboat use. One feature I like is that it is able to start with no battery via a wind-up starter motor.
Not so sure.. Having had one, albeit briefly. I was not impressed with the poor design of the water injection into the block on the 20dv. Very Prone to blockage, and hidden behind the flywheel so extremely difficult to access.

The heads also prone to cracking and corrosion. But in fairness this one was about 34 years old and Sues milage is very impressive…

And parts are extremely expensive. At least in aussie.

But we digress from Teds querry. My advice would be to do what you can to keep it running for a while longer. But expensive rebuilds seem to be a bad idea.

Seems a lot of people are swapping out older but still ok engines. I'm not sure why, money to burn.. Or fear of a failure at the wrong moment?

Tags
engine, men, price