Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 18:09   #46

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Replacement Engine Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
WM Diesel in Sydney marinise Kubota engines

Witchards Marine - inboard diesel engine manufacturers for yacht or motor boat - WM Diesel.

I found the proprietor John Witchard, most helpful when I repowered with a 68 hp WM diesel in 2009. At the time, they were way cheaper than Beta and Nanni, for the same base V3300 Kubota engine.

Very pleased with my engine.

Lee
Thanks, I'll give him a call. It will be worth just getting an idea on a 48 or so.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 18:31   #47

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Not 100% sure on a marine Volvo, but turbos typically have pretty standard mounts. Here is a sizing chart from one of the industry leaders Turbine housing A/R and sizing | Turbobygarrett

After you find the size, an eBay search will yield results in the 200-500 range (is there an Australian eBay?)

I know this isn't answering your question on replacement engines, but with a $10,000-$15,000 cost, maybe a $300 band-aid isn't too bad.
Old 26-08-2014, 20:34   #48

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Thats a good quote. The list price for the 53hp is close to $17k. I got a price today for the 39hp with the optional panel got $12k.

I rang Beta Australia and couldn't even get them to answer the phone... I'll try again tomorrow. yanmar dealer exceptionally helpful and turned out to be someone I know.
Ted,

Thought I would try out Beta myself after your problems as I am considering them to install in a future catamaran at the 43 - 50hp size.

Got straight on to Graham at Beta and his prices on a 43hp and 50hp were $12,993 and $13,983 respectively. Said he had recently sold 2 x30hp for a cat in Kettering a few hours down south of you.

He said they had had a recent telephone changeover and that could have been the problem.

There number is 02 9525 1878.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 22:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Ted,

Thought I would try out Beta myself after your problems as I am considering them to install in a future catamaran at the 43 - 50hp size.

Got straight on to Graham at Beta and his prices on a 43hp and 50hp were $12,993 and $13,983 respectively. Said he had recently sold 2 x30hp for a cat in Kettering a few hours down south of you.

He said they had had a recent telephone changeover and that could have been the problem.

There number is 02 9525 1878.

Cheers
Thanks Very much. I still havn't had the time to try again. Mind you, still no email response. I was quoted $11500 for a Yanmar but that was 35hp.
Old 26-08-2014, 23:03   #50

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
WM Diesel in Sydney marinise Kubota engines

Witchards Marine - inboard diesel engine manufacturers for yacht or motor boat - WM Diesel.

I found the proprietor John Witchard, most helpful when I repowered with a 68 hp WM diesel in 2009. At the time, they were way cheaper than Beta and Nanni, for the same base V3300 Kubota engine.

Very pleased with my engine.

Lee
+1 When purchased my boat came with a WM 50 hp, great engine and John I found is very helpful and co-operative even though I was not the guy he sold the engine to.
I would strongly recomend his services.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 17:25   #51

Off topic.
Brilliant,
Thanks for seconding what I try to explain to people about having work done on MY Vietnamese dive boat..the same idiots and practices are the norm here in S. Vietnam.
I have people telling me I am straight up b.s.ing when I say I have the only micrometer on the island, that both steel and aluminum pistons are welded when cracked or burned.
Lots of boats up that way have sunk in the past few years, a fair few westerners have died and the worst of the boats have been grounded, so you were likely not on the worst of the worst.
That place was beautiful 20 years ago and there were none of those boats.
Thanks !
Larry
Quote:
I recently went on a Halong Bay Cruise in Vietnam. Whilst these large boats look so luxurious on the outside and inside public areas, it's commonly a different picture down stairs. I asked and eventually convinced the captain on mine to let me see the engine. He was really suspicious as no one had ever asked before, but after telling him I was into boats he sent me down stairs with a steward. What I saw really shocked me. A converted old truck engine, with a truck gear box, gears and all. Something around a 500hp. Oil was pissing out everywhere into tray's underneath it, which they were clearly just draining back into the engine. Beside it was an old engine block that had been stripped down. Not sure if it was one they were wanting to do up or if it was a previous exchange which they simply couldn't get out of the engine room. To my eyes, it looked like they had connected up raw water in place of radiator, though the fan was still connected to it. This large cruise boat which had eight cabins for paying visitors, had no instruments at all, just switches for lights, steering wheel and forward and reverse lever in the wheel house. Turning was to extreemities, so it was all the way to the left and all the way to the right, so the vessel snaked along at what I'd guess was a top of about 4 knotts. No chart plotter, no depth, speed, oil, temp or anything else in the wheel house. Very amusing.
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 18:59   #52

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
....What I saw really shocked me. A converted old truck engine, with a truck gear box, gears and all.
This feels uncomfortably familiar to me...

Matt
Old 30-08-2014, 23:02   #53

I've found a UK address where I can get a turbo kit for just $100, which includes postage, but they only deliver to UK. I'm still looking elsewhere, but just in case is there anyone in UK what would be willing to receive and forward item on for me to Australia ? Weight is .03kg, so it's a small item . Not sure what it would cost to forward on to Australia but at that weight I wouldn't think it be much, which of course I'd pay for.
Old 31-08-2014, 01:52   #54

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Good luck to anyone doing a swap. Talk about a big project.

Does anyone know of the good places to look in order to see what engines will mate up with which transmissions?
I know that there's rarely such a thing as a "simple" engine replacement, but... every little bit of info helps.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 14:15   #55

Hi Ted
I have just noticed that you are looking for somebody in uk to forward a turbo kit for you.
No problem if you want me to do it.
Just to let you know how I have been getting on with my own 2003T.
Had turbo rebuilt but still getting oil passing turbo seals into air intake.
Took turbo back to repair shop and saw it running on test rig for 45 minutes.
Not a drop of oil passing seals even at 85 psi oil pressure and 35000 revs.
Turbo guy reckoned the problem was most likely high crankcase pressure not allowing oil to return to the sump quickly enough and the oil building up inside the turbine body above the level of the spindle and then leaking past the piston ring type seals on the shaft.
On reading up about the IHI turbos the same basic turbo is used on the diesel VW Passat and they have a smoke problem.
The answer to their problem is to put a restricting banjo bolt on the oil feed to the turbo with a 1mm hole in it.
Interestingly most turbos have a restrictor inside the turbo itself but mine did not.
I didn't want to chance going down to a 1mm hole but fitted a banjo bolt with a 2mm hole.
This reduced my smoke a lot but I still had a problem when pushing the engine on a bit.
2000 revs no problem, 2500 revs smoke.
I then thought about the crankcase pressure side of the thing.
I replaced the small bore pipe from the rocker cover to the air intake with a 1/2 inch pipe and routed it through a catch can to collect any oil in the fumes and then cut a hole in the air cleaner to take the bigger pipe as the original hole in the air cleaner restricts the flow to about 1/8 inch.
Have only ran the engine a couple of hours since but the usual black tide mark across the transom has disappeared. Long may it continue.
I realise that this is only a band aid solution and that I need to address the real problem ( hopefully piston rings and honing the bores will do the job but that is a job for the winter)
My address if you want to use it.
Harold

H Shewan
Finderne
Main Street
Lochcarron
Ross-shire
IV54 8YD

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Moody guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:49   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody guy View Post
Hi Ted
I have just noticed that you are looking for somebody in uk to forward a turbo kit for you.
No problem if you want me to do it.
Just to let you know how I have been getting on with my own 2003T.
Had turbo rebuilt but still getting oil passing turbo seals into air intake.
Took turbo back to repair shop and saw it running on test rig for 45 minutes.
Not a drop of oil passing seals even at 85 psi oil pressure and 35000 revs.
Turbo guy reckoned the problem was most likely high crankcase pressure not allowing oil to return to the sump quickly enough and the oil building up inside the turbine body above the level of the spindle and then leaking past the piston ring type seals on the shaft.
On reading up about the IHI turbos the same basic turbo is used on the diesel VW Passat and they have a smoke problem.
The answer to their problem is to put a restricting banjo bolt on the oil feed to the turbo with a 1mm hole in it.
Interestingly most turbos have a restrictor inside the turbo itself but mine did not.
I didn't want to chance going down to a 1mm hole but fitted a banjo bolt with a 2mm hole.
This reduced my smoke a lot but I still had a problem when pushing the engine on a bit.
2000 revs no problem, 2500 revs smoke.
I then thought about the crankcase pressure side of the thing.
I replaced the small bore pipe from the rocker cover to the air intake with a 1/2 inch pipe and routed it through a catch can to collect any oil in the fumes and then cut a hole in the air cleaner to take the bigger pipe as the original hole in the air cleaner restricts the flow to about 1/8 inch.
Have only ran the engine a couple of hours since but the usual black tide mark across the transom has disappeared. Long may it continue.
I realise that this is only a band aid solution and that I need to address the real problem ( hopefully piston rings and honing the bores will do the job but that is a job for the winter)
My address if you want to use it.
Harold

H Shewan
Finderne
Main Street
Lochcarron
Ross-shire
IV54 8YD

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks Harold,
Today a local Volvo dealer got back to me with a price for the kit at just $128 Aust. It's got to come from the UK, but that's still only adding $18. So, it appears the cheapest place to get the kit is in my own little state. I was expecting $258 thereabouts.

Where you changed the pipe coming off the rocker cover to the air cleaner, my mechanic had me route that into a jar with water in it. The water takes care if the fumes and any smoke and the jar is a visual site to see how much oil was coming through it. I've since added back the air cleaner and routed it back it'll the air cleaner.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:22   #57

Hello Salts,
Can anyone tell us what was the last year Perkins Prima M50's were made new?
A woman and her husband's dilemma
danp7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, men, price