Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2008, 04:58   #16

Boat: Citation 34' Center Cockpit (Australian design and build)
Sounds like a useful technique to use on an engine owned by someone else :P This is likely safe enough on an engine outdoors BUT... A rag saturated with gasoline in a diesel boat's engine room, where nothing is sparkarrested, is just asking for a disasterous fire. Try this on a boat and you'll get "blasted" all right!

As I posted previously the rag is damp not saturated. Petrol is only combustible in a fuel/air mixture off between approximately 15% to 19% fuel air mixture, any less there is not enough fuel and any more there is not enough oxygen. Aerostart sprayed around in copious amounts can have the same result as saturating a rag with petrol (you end up with too much fuel and not enough oxygen in the combustion chamber). Too much aerostart sprayed around and not going into the intake can result in a decent explosion as well. Please note that I stated that rag was damp not wet (even I'm not that dumb).
Old 25-07-2008, 21:49   #17

Boat: 48' Alu Cat
I have used the damp ( Petrol ) rag as well as Aero start methode successfully.
There appears to be no difference, either work well.
The damp rag methode is easier & safer in my opinion. If you use too much Aero Start the engine could overrev.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 00:41   #18

With due respect GreatKetch, Ausieman did say a DAMP rag, not a saturated rag, sounds like a reasonable idea to me since one would be in control of the situation. I have used the spray diesel start on motor vehicles with success but the ether contained in the can is even more volatile than petrol and a spay can in a salt water environment would soon rust through and you wouldn't even know about it!
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 07:33   #19

Re: Removing Injectors, Perkins diesel

PROBLEM IS NOBODY ANSWERED THE QUESTIONAS TO WHETHER THERE IS A WAY TO GET THE INJECTORS OUT? I'm having a prolem with an increase in the oil level in my 4:108, which I attribute to leaking fuel from injectors into my oil. As such I am trying to pull the injectors with no success. I have the nuts off the hold down thingys but the injectors will just not loosen up and come out. Is there any kind of a tool such as a gear puller that is to be used? Help!!!!!!!!
CAPTAINDENI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 18:05   #20

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Removing Injectors, Perkins Diesel

OK, I just did it a minute ago. Mind you, I have my 4.108 sitting on an engine stand in my well equipped and well lit auto shop so I'm totally cheating, but here's how I did it. After labeling and removing the fuel lines I sprayed penetrating oil around the base of the injectors and on the rusty mounting nuts. I removed the nuts and tapped on the sides of the top of each injector with a plastic hammer taking care to not hurt anything. Some would turn after the tapping. Next I took a 12" adjustable wrench and gently turned each injector CW & CCW, torquing on the squarish body of the injector, not on the hex shaped top, and then they were all able to get all twisty-like. Next I put 2 screwdrivers under the mounting flange of each injector and pried up alternately with the screwdrivers, careful of the mounting stud threads, all wiggly but not too hard. 4X pop! They came out. I only got a little diesel in my goatee.
This diesel mechanic stuff is fun. I haven't been challenged by a Porsche for quite some time but this old Perkins is learning me some new tricks.

Does your oil smell like fuel or is it milky?
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 20:43   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Removing Injectors, Perkins Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Did you crack the nuts at the injectors?

An electric pump will NOT generate enough pressure to activate the injector.

Injectors sometimes get frozen/rusted in. PB Blaster and time and gentle tapping and twisting.

The key word is gentle/patience
Gentle tapping/twisting...lady slippers come in real handy also
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel