Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 15:24   #1

Boat: Niagara 31
Removing Handle

I've attached a photo of a handle that used to be attached to the cable that actuated my de-compression feature on my old engine.

I couldn't unscrew or pull the handle off ! Resorted to cutting it off !

I would like to move the engine fuel cut off cable to this hole, so I need to remove the handle on that cable.

How does it come off !!!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle from boat.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	82931  
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 16:01   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Removing handle

There may be a pin under the paint.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 16:07   #3

Hmm. I checked. No paint, it's solid plastic, and what's more it will rotate but doesn't unscrew ! Thanks anyway.
Old 12-06-2014, 17:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

OK - the obvious - Can you thread it through the hole from the other end?

Can you cut the handle that you cut off already lengthwise and see inside it, assuming the same construction?

Clearly there is some sort of internal snap ring or something allowing the handle to rotate but stay attached.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 17:08   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Either the handle unscrews from the cable or you must thread it in starting at the other end.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 17:17   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Well then, a big hammer and break it off.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 17:20   #7

The handle is probably cast on a bushing with ringed detents in it, or a nurled nut and rotating on those detents. You just need to break the plastic off and then use plyers to grab the bushing. The bushing is probably bottomed out or cross threaded and jambed!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 17:49   #8

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

If I remember correctly, the handle on my previous boat's decompression/engine-stop was permanently connected to the cable. The cable ran through a sleeve -- much like a bicycle brake -- and was attached to a bracket on the engine. When it seized up (as it sounds like yours has), I ordered a new one (cable/handle/sleeve). I pulled the handle and the whole cable out of the sleeve, poured lubricant into the sleeve, fitted the sleeve in place, attaching to the bracket on the engine, slid the cable down the sleeve until the handle bottomed out, and then attached the cable to the decompression lever. Would that approach work in your situation?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 20:06   #9

Unfortunately not !!

Let's start at the top end. As you can see the handle is attached to the rod, which is about 6" long. I can't pull it up more than that. The rod goes through a "nut" on the console surface which I can undo. The nut is attached to a short cylinder on the inside of the console surface about 7" long which is what the rod is sliding up and down in. On this short cylinder, which is partially threaded about 3" to the top, there is a nut. This nut gets tightened to the under surface of the console. The two nuts on the two different sides of the console surface are what holds the short cylinder in place.

Now unfortunately, as I said above, the short cylinder is partially threaded, i.e. I can't turn the nut off the end of the short cylinder, I can only turn it down to where the thread ends ! Attached to the bottom of the short cylinder is a "sleeve" through which a wire runs. The "sleeve" and the wire run to a few inches away from the fuel cut-off lever. The "sleeve" is then held to the engine block by a bracket and the wire protrudes and is connected to the fuel cut-off lever. As you said, it's like a bike brake cable.

Unless I cut the rod near the handle, I won't be able to move the still in place cable to the hole I've just made by removing the not required de-compression cable. It's a mystery ! !
Old 12-06-2014, 21:14   #10

I think there is some confusion here. What you are showing is a standard fuel shut off cable, NOT a decompression cable. You will need the fuel shut off on your new engine, unless the new engine has a solenoid type shut off. Decompression is normally a rather large lever on the engine, near the valve cover, that is engaged by hand. Check with who you are buying the engine from, and find out if the shut off is cable controled, or an electronic solenoid? Decompression is normally used to help start an engine, not to stop it. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 22:41   #11

Please don't let us get off topic. The issue is how to get the handle off !
Old 12-06-2014, 22:56   #12

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The...handle...probably...doesn't...come...off.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 00:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You need to go to the magic forest and find the gnome. He will give you a gold coin. Take the Gold coin to candy-rock mountain and find the pixie. Give her the coin and she will give you the magic key that removes the evil handle. Watch out for the trolls under the bridge.

Seriously - it's mechanical and not magic. We may appear to be "not helpful" but at least we are trying. You gave us one pic of the handle end and a puzzle to solve. Solving requires questions.

Now you've described a very complex cylinder, sleeve dual sized mounting nuts etc.

I presume (wrongly maybe) this is a used bit of kit because if it was new it would have mounting instructions that likely don't involve removing the handle.

Do you know the brand? Have you googled for install instructions - these may seem obvious and already done but I have no way of knowing what you tried already.

Engineers can be mean bastards. The can design stuff that is perplexing but just remember - it is mechanical. It goes together and comes apart somehow. You just haven't found the engineers "trick."

More pics please!
Old 13-06-2014, 00:24   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
Unfortunately not !!

Let's start at the top end. As you can see the handle is attached to the rod, which is about 6" long. I can't pull it up more than that. The rod goes through a "nut" on the console surface which I can undo. The nut is attached to a short cylinder on the inside of the console surface about 7" long which is what the rod is sliding up and down in. On this short cylinder, which is partially threaded about 3" to the top, there is a nut. This nut gets tightened to the under surface of the console. The two nuts on the two different sides of the console surface are what holds the short cylinder in place.

<snip>!
Let's take another shot. This is a very standard bit of kit as you describe it.

So why doesn't the handle, still connected to the wire get pulled out the sleeve/cylinder and front of the panel. The sleeve and cylinder are moved to the new hole and the handle and wire threaded back in the front of the panel, through the cylinder/sleeve and down to the fuel cut off?

The handle may not come off the wire but trust me - that wire comes out of the sleeve.
Old 13-06-2014, 06:45   #15

Sorry, no it doesn't !!! It will only come up about the 6" - the cylinder length !! I've nearly pulled it out of the fibreglass trying to pull it out !!

Overnight, I've thought of a solution: With a Dremel disc, cut up the handle on both sides, just down to a depth such that the rod doesn't, or only marginally, get cut. The handle should then come off and show me the middle !!

This will be easy on the one in the photo, not so easy on the other T handle still installed !

I've also e-mailed Westerbeak ! Can't mail Hinterhoeller - out of business !

No names on the handle or the tubing.

Shylock - where are you ?!