Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 23:53   #1

Boat: Mariner 32 [1972 hull#49]
Removing engine from mariner 32

Hi guys,
So, my simple question is: is it possible? Has anyone removed an engine from their M32 or similar boat, without pulling the cockpit apart?
Peter_nzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 07:32   #2

Re: Removing engine from mariner 32

Removed a small Renault engine from my 32' and replaced with a new Perkins one, almost twice as big
It was possible to do it without any modifications but for further adjustments and better maintenance, we made a hatch from the floor in the cockpit. Now it's possible to lower it vertically in position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10850725_842217272496559_1610978941_n.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	99239  
Attached Images

SorinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:27   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Peter,

I had a Mariner 35 and my friend had a 32. This is a long time ago but maybe my memory will serve me correctly.

The galley sink was over my Perkins and once the cabinetry is removed (not too hard because it was screwed in place) you can get at the forward half of the engine pretty well. Once you unbolt the shaft and disconnect everything and undo the engine mounts you can put a block and tackle down through the companionway hatch, lift, move the engine forward for clearance and then hoist and move it through the hatch.

If you are going to rebuild the engine anyway you can start dismantling in place to make it lighter. The transmission can come off to make the footprint smaller.

Let me know if my memory is correct.

kind regards,
Old 24-03-2015, 13:32   #4

Boat: Mariner 32 [1972 hull#49]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Peter,

I had a Mariner 35 and my friend had a 32. This is a long time ago but maybe my memory will serve me correctly.

The galley sink was over my Perkins and once the cabinetry is removed (not too hard because it was screwed in place) you can get at the forward half of the engine pretty well. Once you unbolt the shaft and disconnect everything and undo the engine mounts you can put a block and tackle down through the companionway hatch, lift, move the engine forward for clearance and then hoist and move it through the hatch.

If you are going to rebuild the engine anyway you can start dismantling in place to make it lighter. The transmission can come off to make the footprint smaller.

Let me know if my memory is correct.

kind regards,
Thanks!
Sounds like that could work... The galley has been removed, and I am intending to rebuild the engine so I'll see what I can strip off to make it lighter!
Cheers!
Old 24-03-2015, 17:54   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If you get it a bit lighter you can use your mainsheet block and tackle on your boom to remove it.

Your avatar is much the photo in my profile.

kind regards,

Tags
engine, marine