Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 15:25   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
Removing a Yanmar Fuel Filter

Long time lurker and first time poster. I have a 1991 C&C 34+ with the Yanmar 3GM30 and a Racor fuel filter. I changed all my fuel filters last year and also changed the copper washers out for the Isuzu rubber type washers and also got rid of the rigid fuel line. After suffering though an extended bout of trying to find the air leak after all this, the engine runs great but I have a fuel leak at the Yanmar fuel filter. I have tried everything except the larger size o-rings that one forum suggested. I have very limited access to the starboard side of the motor. Had to take the fuel filter off the motor to get the lid off.
Has anyone replaced this fuel filter and replace it with something similar and mounted in a place that is a little more accessible? Is it necessary to have a fuel filter after the fuel pump?
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 15:44   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Where is it leaking.....Inlet, outlet, bleed screw o-ring?

You shouldn't need to use a pipe wrench on the ring that secures the bowl to the housing.

Who advised you to remove the fuel line and replace the copper crush washers?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 15:57   #3

Well as you know that area is hard to track down leaks but I am pretty certain it is not leaking from the inlet or outlet or the bleed screw. All those areas are dry when "blotting" them with a blue paper towel. The fuel bowl however is wet. I have tightened it by hand as that is the only way to do it given the limited space I have. When I changed the filter the ring was on so tight it probably never was changed. I didn't want to pipe wrench it tight when it was off the motor either.
Old 04-12-2010, 16:32   #4
Eternal Member

The O-ring probably has a small nick in it or has squashed to a point where it won't seal.

As a caution....do NOT be tempted to put silicone on it.
Old 04-12-2010, 16:59   #5

Nah. Never put that stuff on fuel fittings. Get that into injectors and then you really have problems.
Old 04-12-2010, 17:42   #6
Eternal Member

I just like to put that out there for general knowledge......it is so so tempting but.......I see you are already aware of the potential problems.

If you are in extremis, you could uses some non-hardening permatex otherwise...buy a couple o-rings.....
Old 04-12-2010, 17:50   #7

This is my second Yanmar on as many boats and the Yanmar fuel filter on both my boats leaked. Mind you not a torrent of fuel just a drop or two once in awhile. Irritating. I figure since I have to take the fuel filter off to replace the O-ring, why not see if I could get another Racor with similar filtration installed somewhere else.
Old 04-12-2010, 18:02   #8
Eternal Member

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that these filters were installed on the engine at the factory.

I have seen a number of boats over the years that these were the only filters on the vessel......Think of the international usage...up the Amazon or in third world waterways......isolated islands......it is with the installation of a primary filter that these become secondary filters.
Old 04-12-2010, 18:37   #9

Boat: Bristol 32
Hey, mister engineer, I have a y2gmf with a Racor upstream... How often do you recommend changing the secondary on the engine? (Hint: I haven't in yet, and I've put 300 hours on it since I bought the boat.) It is way tight, and I haven't figured out a way to get it off yet without serious metal damage.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 19:17   #10
Eternal Member

You can buy small strap wrenches at Sears....it may be enough to give you the leverage...and the strap won't mar the fitting.

Keep in mind the fuel is already clean 2 micron-30 micron depending on your primary filter

PM me if that doesn't work
Old 04-12-2010, 21:00   #11

Boat: Bristol 32
Thank you! I'll try that out. It's been bothering me, even though the engine has never skipped a beat.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:07   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Before I left Imagine I also had the problem. I was taking things apart, and putting them back together. Only to discover it was leaking someplace else also. After 2 days of scratching my head. I finally bought new nylon, copper, and rubber "O" ring. At last a dry fuel line........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, yanmar