Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2008, 21:50   #1

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Relocating fuel fill, questions

With my Electral rewire, I need the space that my current fuel fill is taking up, under the nav seat. I thought that moving it into the floor of the cockpit would both given a straighter fill, so less hose, and allow me to run the wire bundles I need where the current hose now lies.

Question is, is there any reason why that is a bad idea, such as regulatory or something else.

This is deisel, not gas, so fumes are not as much as a issue.
The fill would be near the companionway entrance.

Thanks in advance
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 22:06   #2

Boat: Cascade
My filler is right in the middle of the cockpit floor. This is how it came from the Cascade factory. I don't find it to be a great placement as the floor is constantly wet and sandy. Both the moisture and the dirt is something you don't want in the fuel. I have to try to be very carefull to keep it clean when I remove the cap.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 01:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wouldn't recommend installing a fuel fill inside the cockpit.

According to ABYC H-33 - Diesel Fuel Systems, the Fuel Fill must be:
- a minimum of 15" from any opening to the cabin
- not allow fuel to enter the boat

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 06:34   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The Caliber puts their fuel fill in the middle of the cockpit floor. I doubt it would be hard to keep it 15" away from the companionway. If it were gas I would say no but diesel does not have explosive fumes.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 07:32   #5

Thanks for the replies.

My first choice would not be in cockpit, but with a center cockpit boat, the tank is directly under it.

When the PO had the radar installed, they drilled directly into the fill hose, and who knows what else. So when he filled the tank later fuel spilled all over the place. Still smells like fuel there.
And since that hose takes up a large part of the wire run, moving it will help a bit.
Seems putting it in the cockpit would be the easiest solution.
I will look some more and see if there is a better way.
Old 28-11-2008, 19:12   #6

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Mine is located on the cabintop, where I can fill it while seated to reduce spills. The vent is on the cabin side, beneath it, so I can monitor if there is a spill and have a diesel diaper waiting on deck beneath. The vent line has one of those cool blue traps to prevent fuel from bubbling out in the first place. Originally, I installed the fill in this location so as to give the fuel a four foot "head" of pressure as it entered a giant Fram fuel filter (the ones you see at the pumps of the fuel docks), to filter the fuel before it got to the tank. I removed it several years ago, selecting a "Baja Fuel Filter" in its place. Don't worry about the electrical cables in proximity. If they melt from a massive current draw, you will have other problems to focus on.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 19:27   #7

I prefer to be able to fill the fuel while standing on the fuel dock. Therefore, IMHO, the best location on the deck near the toe rail.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 22:39   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'm with Jack!

If there were a spill, which would you rather clean up? The cockpit or a little of the deck and side. Diesel is nasty to clean up and the smell lasts forever, it seems.
Old 29-11-2008, 16:07   #9

Good points all.
Roy is the blue vent filter the racor model, and if so does it prevent spills from the vent line ?

I to would prefer to fill from the dock, but space is limited where the wire bundle will go, and I am not sure what is more important at this point, a clear wire run, or a fuel fill at the toe rail.
Old 30-11-2008, 16:40   #10

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Bobfnbw, Yes, the vent filter is a Racor, and yes, it works great. As for the toerail fill point, I found it too chancy to fill when underway, using diesel jugs, especially if there was a sea running. With the cabintop location I am able to sit down and securely hold onto the jug, as well as a nearby handrail, if it's ugly offshore. If it's really crazy, I can kneel down on the deck or the cockpit seat, place my forearms on the cabintop, and hold onto to fuel jug with both hands to keep the nozzle in the fill pipe when coming down hard off of a wave top. Any drips are easy to mop up with the diesel diaper, which then goes into the trash bag stored in the starboard wing wetlocker, away from my sensitive nose.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel