Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-09-2010, 18:19   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Having been around small outboards all my life, Honda first, Yamaha second. Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury and Suzuki are all a tied for last.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 08:58   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
The smallest 2 stroke Yamaha is great. And generally small Yamahas are fine.

The Johnson 3.5 is (c..p). You can get ours for free - just go half way between Panama and Galapagos and fish it out.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 16:03   #18

Boat: San Juan 28
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I have the Honda 2HP. I like the self-contained fuel and that it is the lightest gas OB on the market (to my knowledge and and according to their marketing). The fact that it is air cooled, makes maintenance a bit easier. You only worry about oil changes, spark plug and lower unit oil. It is as reliable as any Honda. (I own 2 Honda motorcycles, 2 Honda vehicles (4 cars altogether, non-stop since her since 1988), and the 2K generator. I've never had any major issues, and non have ever left me stranded.
Related question for this thread: Can the 2HP 4-stroke Honda or any similar small engine be stored on its side, or does it have to be kept vertical?
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 16:05   #19

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54
I know the Honda and our Suzuki 2.5HP can be stored on only one of the two wide sides, and it is labeled.
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 19:19   #20

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
dinghy outboards

Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
I know the Honda and our Suzuki 2.5HP can be stored on only one of the two wide sides, and it is labeled.
I had a 2 hp 4 stroke honda water cooled very light no netural with a slide lever throtle it was ok it was stolen I then purchased a nissan 2 hp what a great little outboard quiet great on fule 4 stroke with plenty of power and would plane my dinghy easy again stolen so I got yamaha 2.5 hp 4 stroke thinking it would out proform the nissan I made a bad move I do not like the yamaha its loud very throaty sound from the carburator and has no power thinking a extra 1/2 hp my dinghy would fly it won't plane after researching the nissan 2 hp and the 3 1/2 hp are the same except the size of the carbs I messed up anyone want to buy a new yamaha 2.5 four stroke they are great engines 1 st pull every time and you can lay it down on one side or stand it up resting by the tote handle on the back side very good on fule I'll keep it for a spare and get another nissan 2.5 thats my choice they are great little engines
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 20:11   #21

Boat: Alden 50 in Narragansett Bay, RI
It appears the consensus is:
1. every make is reliable, and
2. none is reliable.
Glad we settled that question.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 20:38   #22

Boat: csy 37
had a 2005 johnson 3.5 2 stroke. ran really well for about four years, then started giving me all kinds of trouble. wouldn't start sometimes, wouldn't run well sometimes, would die and wouldn't restart sometimes. i rebuilt to carb and retested the ignition system a dozen times to no avail. i finally got it running (sort of) by advancing the needle in the carb one notch. then i just put it in my garage and took out my old 1998 yamaha 3hp 2 stroke. had to rebuild the fuel pump (who ever heard of a small 2 stroke with a fuel pump AND an internal tank with no way of attaching a remote tank?). runs fine - quiet, usually starts first time.

a few weeks ago i gave away the johnson to a down on his luck sailor. he couldn't even get it to turn over - said he thinks it's seized up! well, that johnson sat in my garage a lot less time than the yamaha did and the yamaha runs fine.

yeah, i'm looking around for a replacement. i hate the thought of buying a four stroke but it looks like the time may soon be coming.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:11   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tohatsu makes ALL Nissan outboards and many smaller (< 10HP) Mercury* outboards.
You’ll pay a slightly higher premium for the Mercury or Nissan branding, but here is no difference in features, warranty, etc. Parts and manuals etc., for the 3 brands, are universally* interchangeable.

* At one time, a "detuned" Tohatsu 5HP was also marketed as a Mercury 4HP, so make certain you know what you’ve actually got, prior to exchanging parts.
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 15:20   #24

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
"You can't really get a more reliable engine than a Honda."

Sorry, I have a 5 hp Honda and among all the outboards I have owned in 40 years of sailing, this is the WORST. Starts hard, loud, and is ridiculously heavy for the power and it cannot be slowed down--at idle it pushes the dinghy at crashing speed, but wide open it is slow--would make a great anchor and I may eventually use it for that. Vile machinery. I have lost all respect for Honda with this ownership experience. I have an old Nissan I will be using next season.

Ray Durkee
S/V Velera
Tartan 37
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: