Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2009, 19:22   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Relearning - Fuel System Bleeding

Well we do some of these things so infrequently we have to relearn them. Volvo MD2010 wouldn't start. I had been of on a trip and the engine hadn't been started in about 5 weeks. She had been hauled out and bottom painted and I was looking forward to a nice sail as the winds were up around 15+ for a change.

Of course we are on a mooring, one of my favorite places to work on a boat - Not!

OK let's take a short cut and just crack an injector and crank her over. I can just about reach the start button and the wrench on the injector at the same time. Hoping against hope no fluid for like 1 1/2 minutes of motoring.

Fuel leak? Check the locker under the fuel tank. Dry - good. top up the tank. Grind the starter for 5 more minutes.

OK slow down. Remove the fuel line from the lift pump - Plenty of diesel now all over me and the bilge - grrr... Pump the lift pump about 30 times and grind the starter some more. Nada. Little wisp of smoke from the intake - optimistic but still being clueless...

Crack the fitting on top of the (spin on) fuel filter and pump some more. OK - It's a little wet now. Grind the starter. Nada.

OK crack the line at the fuel control. Dry. Pump some more. OK fuel. Grind the starter. Chug chug a bit - Finally on the right track but still not happy.

Remember to crack the injector only a half turn and tighten it as I see little spurts of fuel. Finally - chugga, chugga, chugga...

OK likely the air got in from the flexi line from the filter to the fuel control. Maybe replace that section soon.

And finally? Start at the beginning of the fuel system and get all the air out one section at a time. A 10 minute bleed job took 1 1/2 hours due to trying to take a short cut.

And thank goodness for 3 batteries that held an awesome charge for 5 weeks. I still can't believe my luck on that one.

Oh - And the ~2 hour delay? Resulted in an opportunity to tighten a slightly slipping alternator belt, missing sailing in several squalls that came through and then having to sail in awesome clear 15+ knot conditions for 2 hours - Ahh, bliss...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 19:40   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
"There is no such thing as a 10 minute job".

The way to think about it is "Jeez this job is going to take an hour.....then it takes 10 minutes". The joy is overwhelming.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 20:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Could have been worse. My ten minute job, changing the filter in my Racor, turned into a three week ordeal before I got the engine running again.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 20:39   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Please....tell us a story Daddy!!!!!!!!

This has to be a good one!!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel