Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2016, 10:12   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Red RTV silicone for exhaust riser assy?

Hi,

My wet exhaust system is the type of installation that has galvanized pipes (elbows and nipples) that raise the height of water injection elbow.

That run of pipe is super hot - it's dry exhaust at that point, and the pipe is wrapped in fiberglass exhaust tape.

I like to replace that piping every 5 years or so, but I don't remember what I put it together with last time. Red RTV silicone seems marginal for this? I don't want something that will burn up and then allow the assembly to loosen up.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 13:45   #2

Re: Red RTV silicone for exhaust riser assy?

My old 4-108 had the same setup, and I think I used #2 permatex and tightened everything up firmly. Worked fine. I don't think red RTV will cut it.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 14:17   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've done the same thing, but of stainless pipe and anti seize on the joints. Tightened properly with a pipe wrench it shouldn't be a problem. Although the antiseize stunk for the first 10 hours or so until the oil burned off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 15:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Being that it is pipe thread I don't think anything has to be put on it, but orange silicone is good for 600F.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 04:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Permatex Red RTV Silicone (#81160) is temperature rated from -65ºF to 650ºF (-54°C to 343°C .
ASI (American Sealants) #600 Hi-Temperature Red RTV is designed operating temperatures up to 310°C (600°F).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 04:58   #6

Boat: Morris Justine

Here's a quote from Mainesail:
For NPT pipe threaded adapters I've been using Hercules Real-Tuff teflon thread sealant for over 20 years in this application. Seals well, does not dry out and parts will come apart easily in the future. Home Depot stocks it. If replacing an exhaust elbow or such I would strongly suggest schedule 80 pipe vs. schedule 40 for any fittings or nipples you may need..
I've come to trust Mainesail's advise and that's what I used. So far so good after one season.
MooGroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 05:59   #7

Boat: 41' yawl

Thanks, everyone. Does it really stay below 600F right at the exhaust manifold exit? Its a 55hp diesel. I guess 600F is awfully f'ing hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooGroc View Post
Here's a quote from Mainesail:If replacing an exhaust elbow or such I would strongly suggest schedule 80 pipe vs. schedule 40 for any fittings or nipples you may need..

Hmmph, I thought about that, but when I first got the boat I had a lot of problems with all the weight of the exhaust piping causing various components to break. I finally resolved it by reducing that weight (P.O. had a wacky set of needless reducers, couplings, and nipples) and adding bracing between the upright and the engine... The experience made me gun-shy about bumping up to sched 80....
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust