Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2019, 08:34   #1

Recommended valve for engine coolant fluid

Hi,

I am going to replace my hot water heater. There are two 5/8 water line to and from the engine delivering the engine coolant to the heat-exchanger. I want to install valves on these lines to be able to service the heater in the future.
This is a fresh water cooling system, the fluid running in those pipes is engine coolant.
Which type of valve is recommended? plastic/PVC? brass? Bronze?
Thanks
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:11   #2

Re: Recommended valve for engine coolant fluid

I use 5/8" brass ball valves with hose barbs and quality hose clamps. Bronze or stainless valves will also suffice, but I would be cautious with plastic as the coolant temp exiting the engine is probably close to 180degrees F.

Place the valves close to the engine so you can isolate as much hose as possible in the event of a hose problem.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:29   #3

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: Recommended valve for engine coolant fluid

Make sure you can shut them off. My wh lines are the thermostat bypass line. If you shut them off you would need a third valve to connect the two line. On the engine side.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, engine, men