Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 16:53   #1

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
Rebuild a 3hm35F-Help?

"Smoke".. my wife called out from the galley. yes I answered .Florida's interior is burning. There is a lot of smoke in the air. We had come in from the ocean at St Augustine and turned north into the ICW. We were going to Green Cove Springs 20 nm past Jacksonville, up the St Johns River.
"No! The smoke is in the cabin! I am getting the fire extinguisher!" Susan yells. I'm thinking electric fire, checked the amp meter. It was ok. I went to stop the engine but it beat me to it, no knocking, no bangs. It just stopped. I let it cool down and found the 3/8 line to the oil sending units, broken clean off, all the oil gone, but the crank moved easily by hand. Fix line, refill with oil and it started, but ran rough. Shut it down, but now I could not move the crank at all...SEIZED!. Tow Boat US to Green Cove Springs - $2100 towing fee!! Gotta love that Insurance.

Now home in Canada with my 20 year old Yanmar... removed oilpan and rocker cover, definitely spun at least one bearing.

I want to rebuild it myself. I am familiar with gas engines but not so much with diesels. Don't know how far to go? Don't know what I need away from a Shop Manual and any special tools, which I don't have.

Support - that is where I hope You all come in.The engine was good . Burned no oil, started right away and never overheated. Me, I am soon 72 and stubborn, so we will do it. Let me hear from you, if you have any good ideas that won't cost too much! Thanks. Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 17:48   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Rebuild a 3hm35F-Help?

I don't know about that model exactly, but my 3gm30 didn't need anything special that you wouldn't have for a gasser. If you're familiar with gassers, then it ought to be a cinch. Be careful with the injection lines and the ends of the injectors, tear it apart and replace what's gone bad. Likely a set of bearings and rings ought to get you going. Of course check the cross hatch pattern and ridge on top of the cylinder to see if it needs reaming and honing.

With a torque wrench, feeler guages, and plastiguage you'll be able to refresh your yanmar yourself. I say refresh, because a proper rebuild requires machining.

All the guts are similar to a gasser, just higher pressures and different fuel system.

Have at 'er.

Good luck.

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 18:00   #3

Boat: grampian 26

Every moving part on the engine has a wear limit. The shop manual will tell you what they are. If you have access to precision measuring tools you can check everything out and determine what needs replacement and what doesn't. If you have spun a bearing it probably means a crank regrind. The head is best sent to an automotive machine shop for overhaul.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:09   #4

does anybody have a pdf file of a shop manual for a 3hm35f Ole
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36   #5

Boat: Lagoon 420

Had the exact problem occur a few years back. Unfortunately, I was on an uninhabited island at least 50 knots from Venezuela's shore.

I had to have the crank rebuilt (had to bring to the USA to do so). All new bearings and seals, etc.

I am not sure it is worth the effort and the cost. An equivalent Yanmar is more expensive than repair, but you will have a new engine and it is much lighter.

In hindsight, I would have bought the new Yanmar. Good luck
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:48   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

What would a new Yanmar cost?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:49   #7
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepedersen View Post
does anybody have a pdf file of a shop manual for a 3hm35f Ole

I'm almost certain Tropic Cat sent me a pdf for the manual for these. I've searched my emails and can't find it. I'll contact him and tell him you're looking for one.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Yanmar service manual 3hm35f pdf

Here ➥ yanmar service manual 3hm35f pdf |

Or ➥ http://www.linjett.org/upload/teknik...0,%203HM35.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:32   #9
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

As with rebuilding any engine precision measuring tools are a must. I found when rebuilding an engine, as long as its apart it pays to go completely through the engine manual checking the clearances on every moving part. Getting the engine out and apart is something you dont want to keep doing over and over again. As you probably know an engine part has a factory clearance measurement and a service range. With the proper measuring tools you can tell the difference between a part that has a lot of life left and one that is getting ready to fail. In my younger days Id do things like buy the .001 undersize bearing if I showed just out of the service limit. These days if Im going to go through the whole disassembly I bring everything back to the factory specification. Many diesel cranks are tuftrided for surface hardness that is lost during machining. Something to consider when having your crank done is whether the shop can do this case hardening process.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:24   #10

This forum really is special !! THANK YOU ALL .Good advice, and Gord I did get the manual.Now I'll get the other stuff .Thanks again , I'll keep you posted. Ole
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41   #11

Well Well almost a year later engine is going back together everything gone over every lesson I could learn I did learn why do you think it took so long. I could not do it without friends. I could not do it at all.So in steps Bob, he knows he runs a large diesel shop , everything got changed. So I basically have a new engine But IKNOW I WAS LUCKY not only was more parts changed than I counted on ,but Bob with his international experience purchaced new parts at a fraction of the price i had been quoted. just a gadget kit was 75% cheaper than here.
My point is it is a bigger job than I realized 20 years takes a toll on an engine and wear could be meassured in every thing that moved so unless you have a Bob Dont try it yourself .now I just got to take the engine back to Florida and install it before it gets too warm Thanks to all Ole

Tags
rebuild