Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2008, 08:39   #1

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Reassembling a diesel

Due to a curious sequence of events my Vetus 3.10 was stripped down completely and then left for dead due to the mechanic not being able to find gaskets to put it back together (the engine is in Thailand). After 9 months of wrangling and $400 I got the box of pieces back and located a gasket kit on the internet. So now I am in the position of reassembling the thing myself.

It was running fine when it was taken apart and the pistons, rings and bearings all look to be in good shape.

I have some experience doing this with gas engines but was wondering if there are any pitfalls or tricks to be aware of and if I will need any specialty tools other than a torque wrench when putting a diesel back together.

Thanks!
Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 09:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Find a shop manual for the engine from the manufacturer if there is one available. There are also shop manuals available online.

You will need to know torque settings, clearances, special assembly tips and a bunch of other things that even the best diesel mechanics cannot possibly know off the top of their head.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 10:52   #3

Hi David,

I should have mentioned that I have the torque settings and clearances in the owner's manual. I have looked for the shop manual online without luck. The closest I have come is on some farm machinery sites but they seem to be out of print. You have inspired me to keep looking though.

thanks,
Mike
Old 17-09-2008, 11:38   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mike,
Timing is critical. So shop manuals have a section on aligning the flywheel to the cam and then timing the injection pump to the cam. I guess you could say it is critical in a gas engine too but it really, really is critical with your diesel so pay extra special attention to it. Don't ask me how I know.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 11:52   #5

thanks for the heads-up John. That's just the sort of thing I am concerned about. I did manage to find a tractor manual that includes my engine and ordered it today. Hopefully it covers timing!

Mike
Old 17-09-2008, 13:13   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Mike, if it was running fine originally why would mechanic take it completely apart? I'm betting there's a devil in the details somewhere. Rebuilding a diesel from the bottom up properly requires alot more than torque specs and timing. How was the crank shaft and cam stored, are you comfortable measuring with micrometers, where repeatitive parts marked properly so they're not switched, hopefully the govenor hasn't been messed with and the list goes on. Not saying that you can't but there's a lot more than just bolting one back together. Let us know on your progress and ask if you need help. There are board members here that eat this stuff up.
PS When it comes to diesels, the pharse "Keep it clean" is very important.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 15:03   #7

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Mike, The Vetus M3.10 is a Mitsubishi K3 (D?) The manual has K3 A through D models. They were used a lot in forklifts and small equipment.

Here is a link to a site you might get a manual from. or contact Vetus in Hanover MD. USA

EngNet - Mitsubishi Diesel Engine Parts - Parts Supply Corporation

If you are sure you have all the parts you should give it a go. If the Exhaust/ Heat exchanger is bad or missing you might want to check out the availability and cost. (very pricey) Vetus uses the SL3 for their M3.09 since the late 90,s and the parts are not interchangable.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 10:07   #8

Will,

Thanks for the encouragement. I had been in contact with Parts Supply Corporation earlier for the gasket kit, I can't believe I didn't think to ask them about the service manual! Anyhow, I gave them a call and they can get the service manual but the price they quoted me was (pause) $597!! After hanging up I called them back to make sure I heard right and they confirmed the price. Yow!
I ordered a tractor service manual from an antique tractor supply company that includes information on the K3E engine (that's what I have) so hopefully that will be enough. If not I'll give Vetus a try.
The exhaust riser is ok, however, the starboard engine was torn down as well and looks like it would need a complete overhaul as well as new exhast riser/heat exchanger, alternator, starter etc. so I am looking at options. Right now money is tight so I will just try to get the port engine running and will limp along on one engine for a while. When I can afford it I will likely put in a new Yanmar YM30 on the starboard side and eventually replace the port engine with the same.

Tellie,

Thanks for the tips. I too wondered why both engines were torn down as I was told that the port engine had been left intact. I think it came down to a simple error in translation rather than mechanical cause. I chalk it up to one of the many difficulties in trying to undergo major repairs in a foreign land. This is one of the reasons why I have decided to attempt this myself rather than risk further misunderstandings.

Oktay,

Thanks for the kind offer, but I already have the operating manual and parts catalog.

Mike

Tags
diesel