Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2018, 10:19   #1
Marine Service Provider

Re-power questions on motor mount widths

I am re-powering my boat at the moment and would like to hear/see pictures of how others have dealt with the old 22.25" to the new 19.25" mounting widths.

I am replacing a Perkins 4.154 with a Yanmar 4jh5e.

So lets hear what everyone has to say on this. If there might be a better area or forum for this question I am all ears.

Thanks,
svninkasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 11:27   #2

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: Re-power questions on motor mount widths

Quote:
Originally Posted by svninkasi View Post
I am re-powering my boat at the moment and would like to hear/see pictures of how others have dealt with the old 22.25" to the new 19.25" mounting widths.

I am replacing a Perkins 4.154 with a Yanmar 4jh5e.

So lets hear what everyone has to say on this. If there might be a better area or forum for this question I am all ears.

Thanks,
When I replaced my perkins with a beta I just put inch packers behind each bracket and through bolted.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 11:48   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The PO installed a Yanmar 3GM30f to replace the A4 in our boat. The rear mounts on the Yanmar are wider than the A4 so he installed the engine 8"-10" forward. Installation worked fine except the engine now stuck into the galley so he built a surround to hide it. The surround made the galley a PITA to work in as you couldn't stand comfortably in the much reduced foot space and had to work at long distance as you leaned over the engine surround. Decided to try and move the engine back.

To get a narrower stance moved the port rear motor mount to the starboard side and bolted it to the front of the engine mount bracket instead of the rear. On the Port side fabricated a simple 'L' bracket and bolted it to existing threaded holes at the rear of the engine instead of factory mount on the transmission. Replaced the huge Yanmar motor mounts with smaller foot print after market mounts. With those modifications was able to move the engine about 8" more aft. It still stuck into the galley area by an inch or so. Rebuilt the galley with about a 2" wider counter so the engine no longer protrudes into the galley sole. Actually a much better arrangement as used the additional couter depth for storage against the aft bulkhead. Greatly improved storage in the galley which the boat was seriously lacking.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 12:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

Inch packers? Spacers ?

Great replys, thank you!
Old 22-10-2018, 10:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re-power questions on motor mount widths

Going wide to narrow ought to not be too difficult to have an adapter made, narrow to wide would be tough as likely that means going up also.
I would have expected an adapter to be available, you can’t be the first, or the last
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 10:03   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

When I replaced my Perkins 4-108 with a Beta BV2203 I had Beta Marine make custom engine brackets. Beta Marine has this as an available option. This was a tremendous labor saver. It was not very expensive compared to modifying the engine beds.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 11:02   #7

Boat: Bristol 40

This past winter I replaced the foundation and motor mounts on my Yanmar 3JH2E in my Bristol 40. Currently undergoing a total refit. The boat originally had a westerbeke and was re powered with the yanmar before I purchased it. There were old holes in the old foundations for the previous mounts. I decided to just replace all of it since access at the time was as good as it gets. It was just a matter of drilling and tapping the new foundations which I made from 3/8" X 3" X 3" stainless angle to meet the new yanmar mounts. One other thing I did was to use G-10 spacers instead of plywood under the mounts. The original engine beds were fine and the spacing between them was fine as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old mounts and foundations removed.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	179438   Click image for larger version

Name:	New mount with G 10 spacer bolted to new foundation.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	179439  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New mounts and foundations installed.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	179440  
Offshore1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 13:40   #8

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I went from a A-4 to a Yanmar 3gm30f, the Yanmar mounts were narrower.
I used 1/4 x 4 x 20 inch bar stock to make an adaptor. Drilled and tapped holes for the Yanmar mounts 5/16 fine thread,and lag bolted the assembly to the engine beds. I floated my adaptor on the engine beds to set up basic alignment then bored holes for the lag bolts. Tightened it down. Fine adjustments were made by moving the mounts on the adapter.

Yanmar bolt holes were right on the inboard edge of my engine beds, had to trim a little for the bolts protruding through the adapter.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 21:07   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

If the mounts on your 4.154 are in line with the centerline of the crank and output shaft on the transmission, as in the drawing below, then you may have a height problem unless you plan on going with a transmission other than those that Yanmar lists on it's data sheet for the engine, as all of those are drop-shaft transmissions, while the mounts are in line with the crank.

As for the width difference, if the existing brackets can be mounted securely with 1 1/2" spacers and longer bolts, that seems the easiest and most efficient approach...

Perkins

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 16:49   #10
Marine Service Provider

I was having trouble finding the perkins drawing. That is great news! At least in my opinion. The New motor needs to be raised up some to lineup, that gives a lotta room to make some kind of adapter .

Thank you everyone for their replies they’re helping get the ideas flowing well .
Old 23-10-2018, 17:00   #11

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

When I repowered from a Westerbecke 60 to a Yanmar 4JH4-AE I had the engine mounts completely replaced. The original mounts might have been salvaged, but given the expense of the repower, having new mounts fabricated was a relatively minor issue. I wouldn't want to have a new engine installed and then discover a few years down the road that the mounts were toast.
Here's a link to the new mount installation: Repower

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor