Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 14:52   #1

Raw water pump seal Yanmar 3GM30

Hi, I have an older style ( not European built) Yanmar 3GM30, Sea water cooled engine in my boat. The water pump">raw water pump is dripping water so looks like I will need to replace the shaft seal inside the pump.
Question is, does anyone know of an aftermarket seal to replace the Yanmar part number 104211-42100 seal ? Local Yanmar dealer is a rip-off, and would rather not line his pockets anymore....
If I can get the seal out in reasonable shape I can tKe to a seal place and get one hopefully with a stainless steel spring or replace mild steel one with an O-Ring.
Elliott1050CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Raw water pump seal Yanmar 3GM30

Yes I hear u re Yanmar mafia.
go to any bearing supply place, take yr old seal & they should be able to help. If by any chance you are in Auckland seeing as you have an Elliot I recommend Auckland bearing supplies. Last one I did they chucked in the o-ring & they are very helpful. The owner used to own an Elliot too ( maybe still does)
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:08   #3

Haha, yes in Auckland...
Thanks I will take the old one into Auckland Bearing supplies.
Much appreciate the quick response and recommendation
Elliott1050CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Happy to help as have been helped myself by many others on CF.
I have some new genuine 3GM30 parts 1/2 price compared to Pwr Equipment if you need something PM me.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:18   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Most any business that sells bearings will sell you replacement lip seals. And O-rings to replace the garter ring that fits inside the lip seal.

Lip seals of that size are commodities: tiny differences depending on the material making up the body of the seal (some blue, most black). So they are sold by size, not brand.

Buy a few so you're equipped to change them at the first sign of a drip from the pump: the deal is to replace the lip seal frequently (lip seals are inexpensive) so as to avoid the horror of needing to change the stainless steel shaft which will be damaged by corrosion if a lip seal allows salt water to sit on the shaft.

Lip seals are specified by their inside diameter (the shaft diameter), their outside diameter, and the width.

So take along your disassembled pump or an old seal if you don't have the specs.

Pay some attention to the orientation of the seals (which way each is pointing on the shaft).
Old 11-04-2019, 08:47   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

OP Is/was the boat you have called Squealer?
Old 11-04-2019, 08:52   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 47.7

I use a needle to lift the lip of the seal and put in lithium grease, the seals last a long time.
RobTryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:25   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

The attached CF reference should give the info you need
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ld-175009.html
Basically its a 12mm ID, 24mm OD, 7mm deep lip seal. Use one with SS spring to compress the lip or replace with rubber O ring. As Bobnlesley says you can use a double lip seal if the shaft is worn to move the wear point.
Given that these seals cost pennies, I replace the seal every year when I change the impeller, it just hooks out with a small screwdriver or scriber and tap a new one in with a suitable socket. Also keep the belt tension as low as possible and the bearings should last a long time with low side force and no leaks.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, yanmar