Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 17:08   #1

raw water pump screw stuck

Hi all, I have a 3gm30f and had a raw water leak. I am pulling the pump but the screw that goes in the slot on the bracket has advanced past the 1 inch of thread on the bolt but I cant pull the bolt out. Anyone ever have this problem? I am assuming that some salt water corrosion is down the hole causing resistance.
Used penetrating oil etc and head turns easily now but cant pull out. I pushed it back in and out a couple times but am stuck at the same location (about 1 1/2 inches out).

Any hints would be helpful as I am at my wits end.
kps0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 20:54   #2

Re: raw water pump screw stuck

try a propane torch on it - $15 @ a parts store.. very handy. can u get a good grip on it? if not, a monkey wrench is invaluable -

depending on the work area sometimes a smaller one works best - old ones also wear and dont always grip well.

also - normal wd40 does not cut it, get a decent well rated penetrating oil, 100xs better.. good luck
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 22:54   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

If I understand you correctly, this is the bolt that is threaded into the engine housing and is used to adjust the tension on the water pump">raw water pump belt.

If so, it sounds like the thread is stripped on the bolt (and probably in the engine housing also).

If lots of pressure using vice grips etc doesn't do it, then you might have to cut the head off and remove the other bolts holding the bracket and that will allow you to get more access to getting it out.

I gotta say, it doesn't sound good; let's hope other members will have a better solution.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 13:43   #4

Boat: Homemade steel cutter

In a similar situation I made an L shaped bracket that slipped over the bolt shank and connected it to a table leg via block and tackle. A light strain on the bolt was enough to get a bite on the remaining threads to allow the bolt to be withdrawn. my question now is what to do about the semi-pooched threads.
wguinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 15:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps0927 View Post
Hi all, I have a 3gm30f and had a raw water leak. I am pulling the pump but the screw that goes in the slot on the bracket has advanced past the 1 inch of thread on the bolt but I cant pull the bolt out. Anyone ever have this problem? I am assuming that some salt water corrosion is down the hole causing resistance.
Used penetrating oil etc and head turns easily now but cant pull out. I pushed it back in and out a couple times but am stuck at the same location (about 1 1/2 inches out).

Any hints would be helpful as I am at my wits end.
This is one of the very few badly thought out things on a 3GMF, …..the one bolt that needs to be loosened or removed occasionally and it goes all the way through the timing cover and threads into the block.
It could just have an area of corrosion half way down the bolt shank that’s stopping you from removing the bolt but there’s also a vague possibility that the bolt stripped the thread out of the block earlier in the engines life and a helicoil was installed as a standard repair procedure. Over time, perhaps the threaded end of the bolt has attached itself more firmly to the helicoil than the helicoil has attached itself to the engine block so it’s trying to follow the bolt out. The only course of action if this is the case would be to remove the timing cover and then remove the helicoil from the end of the bolt, not a terrible job but it certainly involves good access to the front of the engine and stripping off the injector pump and all the other stuff on the front of the engine. I’m hoping that it’s the corroded bolt….. but if it is a helicoil, when you do the replacement, loctite that sucker into the block and install a stud, (no loctite on the stud) not another hex headed bolt , then you just need to loosen the nut to adjust or remove the pump.
As an afterthought, try screwing the bolt back in and tapping on the head with a small hammer to break the bolt free of the helicoil, this might work but don’t go too hard with the hammer, it’s imperative to NOT damage the block or the helicoil thread that’s in the hole. If you managed to get the bolt out 1½ inches you might be harming the timing cover hole with the helicoil , be cautious.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 15:39   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

As it was 7 years ago that the OP encountered this problem, I wonder what he did to resolve it?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 15:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
As it was 7 years ago that the OP encountered this problem, I wonder what he did to resolve it?
Hahaha, well spotted Wottie, sadly, we may never know.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, raw water, raw water pump, water