Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-09-2015, 14:24   #16

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: Raw water pump failure on Westerbeke 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't raw water leakage also be caused by simple wear on the cover plate? Often they have paper gaskets which aren't very good, which is why Maine Sail recommends adding some sealant. If my understanding is correct, wear b'twn. the impeller & the inside of the cover plate can lead to a poor seal. The 'Speedseal' product largely remedies this, assuming there's one to fit your particular pump that is. I carry one or two spare cover plates & gaskets onboard.
That's theoretically possible but in my experience it is almost always the shaft seals. By the time you notice the leak, the bearings have been exposed to a lot of salt water and will also fail eventually. Once the bearings fail the engine will be unusable until the pump is rebuilt or replaced. I like the idea of replacing the whole pump and keeping the rebuilt original as a spare. These pumps tend to have high failure rates compared to everything else and are difficult to find in the boondocks.

Old 04-09-2015, 17:21   #17

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
That's theoretically possible but in my experience it is almost always the shaft seals. By the time you notice the leak, the bearings have been exposed to a lot of salt water and will also fail eventually. Once the bearings fail the engine will be unusable until the pump is rebuilt or replaced. I like the idea of replacing the whole pump and keeping the rebuilt original as a spare. These pumps tend to have high failure rates compared to everything else and are difficult to find in the boondocks.
Thanks for that. Maybe wishful thinking on my part given that the leaky R/W pump on my Westerbeke 82B was new in 2010 and only has about 350 hrs. on it. If you're right, then maybe it was all the down time that killed it.

Old 04-09-2015, 18:15   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I think some of the respondents have got things mixed up a bit. If the water is coming from the weep hole, it means that the seal between the impeller chamber and the weep hole is failing. The bearings are on the other side of the weep hole and are protected by a second lip seal. The purpose of the weep hole is not just to notify you that the seal is failing, but to insure that no water under pressure from the pump comes into contact with the inner seal. I have replaced leaking water seals in Johnson/Jabsco pumps many times where the bearings were totally unaffected by any water intrusion.

Jim
Old 04-09-2015, 18:40   #19
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Some pumps are made that way so that might confuse things. The pump on our Perkins is; impeller, water seal, bearing, weep hole, oil seal, bearing in oil and gear.
Old 04-09-2015, 18:40   #20

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I think some of the respondents have got things mixed up a bit. If the water is coming from the weep hole, it means that the seal between the impeller chamber and the weep hole is failing. The bearings are on the other side of the weep hole and are protected by a second lip seal. The purpose of the weep hole is not just to notify you that the seal is failing, but to insure that no water under pressure from the pump comes into contact with the inner seal. I have replaced leaking water seals in Johnson/Jabsco pumps many times where the bearings were totally unaffected by any water intrusion.

Jim
I'm pretty sure I understand this Jim, especially after reading Maine Sail's excellent step-by-step with pics. But thanks for the helpful explanation which helps to clarify further. In my case, I'm pretty sure the r/w is making it out past the cover plate and not the weep hole, but I'll double-check now that you've mentioned it.

Btw, MS suggests that if you're going through the trouble of removing the shaft you might as well also replace the bearings along with the seals. Do you agree, or you have been able to get along OK just replacing seals? The rebuild kit shown in MS's tutorial includes all new components except the pump body.
Old 04-09-2015, 19:16   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

g'Day Exile,

Re leaking from the cover plate: certainly can happen, but not from wear due to the impeller. The thin paper gasket often used can certainly develop leaks, but the wear area is not in the gasket area. When worn, the usual symptom is difficulty in getting started pumping when the engine has been sitting a while... fails to generate adequate suction to get the water up from the inlet (if the pump is above the waterline).

As to replacing the bearings, well if you can source them from a bearing supply place at reasonable prices, I suppose preemptive replacement might make sense. However, on our current engine the bearings have outlasted several seals (3500+ hour total).

I have not looked at Maine Sails offerings, so can't comment there, but he is a pro and generally has excellent advice. However, he looks at the rebuild process as a pro, where longterm customer satisfaction is a big deal, and saving a few bucks on parts isn't. For me, the "it ain't broke yet" mantra is difficult to ignore at times. I wouldn't go against his advice, though, if you have any doubts!

While I haven't done it myself, I think the advice to carry a complete spare pump is a good idea... much quicker to replace than to rebuild!

Good luck with your project...

Jim
Old 04-09-2015, 19:18   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Some pumps are made that way so that might confuse things. The pump on our Perkins is; impeller, water seal, bearing, weep hole, oil seal, bearing in oil and gear.
Interesting! What make of pump is that?

Jim
Old 04-09-2015, 19:22   #23
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Interesting! What make of pump is that?

Jim
Discontinued Sherwood.
Old 04-09-2015, 19:30   #24
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Weeping from cover plate, yes, I have had that.

IME, bearings last a for 1000's of hours not hundreds; however get seawater into them and YMMV.

If you can feel slop in the bearings, it is time to replace them.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 19:35   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Discontinued Sherwood.
Again, interesting! From many posts here on CF and elsewhere, Sherwood pumps seem to be of poor design and poor quality... but i have no personal experience to verify that. However, placing a bearing in such a vulnerable place seems poor practice to this observer.

Jim
Old 04-09-2015, 19:36   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Weeping from cover plate, yes, I have had that.

IME, bearings last a for 1000's of hours not hundreds; however get seawater into them and YMMV.

If you can feel slop in the bearings, it is time to replace them.
Agreed entirely, Geoff!

Jim
Old 04-09-2015, 19:45   #27

Quote:

From many posts here on CF and elsewhere, Sherwood pumps seem to be of poor design and poor quality... but i have no personal experience to verify that.
Jim,

You're right. Here's why for those that may see this thread:

Why SHERWOOD Raw Water Pumps leave a LOT to be desired: CNG & Sherwood Pump Dissection Thanks to Ken for that one, I'm tired of repeating it. - Stu 5/25/2015
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 19:48   #28
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Jim,

You're right. Here's why for those that may see this thread:

Why SHERWOOD Raw Water Pumps leave a LOT to be desired: CNG & Sherwood Pump Dissection Thanks to Ken for that one, I'm tired of repeating it. - Stu 5/25/2015
Any idea what it says in this link? Can't open it here; presumably one has to be a member or some such?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 06:59   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Update:
Wayne, thanks for the referral to Depco. They sell the same pump new for $600 plus instead of $900 plus! Also will rebuild a pump for flat $47. They will inspect the old pump and advise: rebuild or new. Guess the pump is going to Depco.
Old 25-09-2015, 07:17   #30

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso52 View Post
Update:
Wayne, thanks for the referral to Depco. They sell the same pump new for $600 plus instead of $900 plus! Also will rebuild a pump for flat $47. They will inspect the old pump and advise: rebuild or new. Guess the pump is going to Depco.
===

Glad to hear that Depco is working out well for you. They've been around for a long time and I've always heard good reports. In all fairness it was actually Stu Jackson who made the post recommending them. I certainly second the motion however.

Tags
raw water, raw water pump, water, westerbeke

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: