Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 15:53   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Raw water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
For the OP, if you end up following the good advice unthread and get a "normal" seal, please follow No Ties excellent advice below.
To repeat, remove the carbon steel spring from the standard seal and replace with a similar sized O ring.

Normal seals are designed for oil etc where the carbon spring is fine. A sea water seal will have a SS spring but these are often hard to source. Using a O ring to replace the carbon steel spring works very very well.
+1, I keep properly sized o-rings stowed with my spare seals just for this purpose.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:40   #17

Re: Raw water pump

Thanks for all the advice. I have given up trying to find a local source form seals and have ordered one from amazon. I will swap the spring for an o ring as suggested and if it all works I’ll buy some spares.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, raw water pump, water