Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-06-2010, 23:27   #16

Boat: Irwin sloop
It looks like you are doing a good job, and youv'e gotten good advice so the only thing left for me to do wish you good luck and wait for your thumbs up post.
Jesse

Old 06-06-2010, 11:48   #17

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Well, it seems I had two issues - neither of which was the impeller.

The first was some scoring on the inside of the pump cover panel. I ground it smooth, and that doubled my water output from a trickle to a sprinkle.

I had put all new 3/4" hoses on the system. What I wasn't realizing is that while the pump had 3/4" outlets, all the fixtures on the thru-hull and raw water strainer were 5/8". Since there's not really any pressure on those hoses, they weren't leaking, but they weren't air tight. As soon as I switched to 5/8" hoses, it started pumping water out the exhaust with no problem.

It's crazy what one tiny air leak can do.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-06-2010, 00:12   #18

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post

The first was some scoring on the inside of the pump cover panel. I ground it smooth, and that doubled my water output from a trickle to a sprinkle.

I had put all new 3/4" hoses on the system. What I wasn't realizing is that while the pump had 3/4" outlets, all the fixtures on the thru-hull and raw water strainer were 5/8". Since there's not really any pressure on those hoses, they weren't leaking, but they weren't air tight. As soon as I switched to 5/8" hoses, it started pumping water out the exhaust with no problem.

Thanks for all the help.
Well, I learned something.
Old 07-06-2010, 23:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Inside the raw water pump is a small "cam plate" at top between the inlet and outlet ports. That cam plate is what compresses the impeller blades and forces the water out the pump exhaust port. If that plate is worn or missing, the raw water pump will not pump any water.
- - In the "rebuild kit" for the raw water pump there is usually a new "cam plate." Beyond that carefully check each hose and pipe for obstructions as others have suggested. The Vented loop is only a "u-tube" that offers no restrictions to water flow. There is a one-way valve at the top of the vented loop to allow air to enter and break any siphon effect. Also check the exhaust water injection nozzle/port to be sure it is not "rusted shut." That would stop the water flow. These exhaust water injection fitting commonly rust rather quickly and either break off or close down the water flow.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post

Thanks for all the help.
Good job figuring it out. It is amazing what a little thing like the correct size hose will do.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, muffler, raw water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: