Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34   #1

Boat: FP Belize 43
Raw Water Cooling Question

Hi, our boat is in a marina that gets an incredible amount of growth from barnacles and other types of critters, and a mechanic her recommend putting bromine or chlorine tablets in the Raw Water strainers to eliminate the restrictions from the marina growth.

Does this sound like a good idea?? Will chlorine cause corrosion or damage to the heat exchangers?

Any comments would be appreciated

Meck

Meck
Old 05-11-2009, 09:52   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
I'm in the chemical water treatment business, so for a change I really am an expert on this one.

It's a BAD idea. Chlorine and bromine attack copper and if you place directly in the strainer you are going to get a high concentration that is going to go after your tube bundle as well as the strainer.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Bronze strainer bodies should have good corrosion resistance to sodium hypochlorite (chlorine); but the S/S strainer basket may have poor resistance.
Metals and Corrosion Resistance

But, I defer to Don's specific expertise.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:00   #4

Boat: FP Belize 43
Thanks for the replies.

Don, by tube bundle do you mean the heat exchanger? I have Yanmar 40hp engines and everything in and around the strainer is plastic.

Meck
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10   #5
CLOD

Gord's answer made me look at the chart. Bronze is a 3 "not useable" for the sodium hypochlorite (sodium bromine would also be about the same thing). Except for high end stainless metals (beyound the 304/316 boaters normally talk about) the only material that really is OK for "bleach" type halogens is plastic type materials.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18   #6
CLOD

Meck

Even if the strainer etc is plastic the chlorine is going to go up the lines into your engine and heat exchanger etc. If you really are at the point you need to add a biocide you need to look at a non-oxidzing biocide (dangerous stuff don't get any on you). This isn't all that available, but I don't see any reason you couldn't use a fuel additive biocide as these are all non-oxidzing. In the long term I would think changing your thur valve fittings etc to a copper based material may be the best answer.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Oops !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Gord's answer made me look at the chart. Bronze is a 3 "not useable" for the sodium hypochlorite (sodium bromine would also be about the same thing)...
dam ... i MUST HAVE CHECKED SODIUM CHLORIDE (SALT), NOT SODIUM HYPOCHLORIDE.

THANKS, DON !!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:39   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Vinegar perhaps. Lowering the pH make it impossible for shell (calcium carbonate) growth to occur.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 13:17   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Can you not just close the engine seacocks ? perhaps flushing with fresh water first.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 13:19   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck View Post

a mechanic her recommend putting bromine or chlorine tablets in the Raw Water strainers
Well, this mechanic is not a biologist, are they. Clean, antifoul. If you are sure your raw water system parts will take it, you can try an acidic solution (but nothing too strong) to kill the critters overnight and dissolve their calcium shells. Then flush immediately.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 17:55   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Be careful some one may call P.E.T.S. on you
People for the Ethical Treatment of Shellfish
Funny...there are no chapters in Maine, Alaska, Lewsieanna or Mirlin.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 19:05   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Can you not just close the engine seacocks ? perhaps flushing with fresh water first.

Pete
I think you nailed it Pete. Life inside the lines needs water circulation to survive. By closing the seacock you eventually create an anaerobic environment, without light or oxygen where neither plant life nor animal life can survive. That's why stagnant seawater smells so bad, that is dead phytoplankton and and zooplankton decomposing. Add to that you have copper in the solution from the bronze fittings...a biocide to growth. You get a double whammy to growth simply by closing the seacock.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 21:41   #13

During an infestation of black striped mussel, quarantined boats where required to fill their cooling system with common dishwashing detergent, the marina was treated with copper sulfate and the infestation over come. I still use detergent in my stern tube, it prevents growth on the duramax.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:39   #14

Boat: a sailing boat
The s.c. black stripped mussel infestation was a PR ploy back in OZ some time ago. Later it turned out there was nothing in the water just the govt had a bad need to lower unemployment rates by creating more public sector employment.

But god did I have a swell conversation with the inspector that came to fill my seacocks with his washing liquid. And he had a swell time, I guess, trying to get to all 33 seacocks that I have very well hidden in my little shooter ;-))

;-)))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, engine cooling water, raw water