Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 06:44   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Raw water contamination of fresh water cooling loop.

After some overheating issues caused by a broken hose clamp, I noticed that, even though I leaked some coolant, I did not need to top off the fluid. This made me suspicious that there might be a leak in the heat exchanger, so I pulled it all apart this weekend, and pressure tested the HE in a tub of water using a shopvac on blow. Sure enough, I saw bubbles coming out where they should not. So I'm getting a new HE from Mr. Cool, but it got me thinking whether there are any other issues I might see as a result of the contamination of the fresh water loop? I'm going to put in a new thermostat for sure, but could any damage have been done that is not currently evident? The coolant that I drained was still green from the antifreeze solution, so hopefully this helped to inhibit corrosion in the loop.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, raw water, water