Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2015, 16:40   #1

Ran engine w no oil- is it destroyed?

Hi I need some advice- today the oil pressure gauge line fell off and the oil all dumped into the pan. The alarm is nonfunctional and I didn't notice until the engine- a Perkins 4-108 lost power and quit. From losing power to quitting was probably about 45 seconds.

Have I destroyed the engine?

To test can I simply replace the oil and see if she cranks up, or should I do something more?

Thank you for your help
asumpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 16:51   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Ran engine w no oil- is it destroyed?

Sorry dude, but it's toast, whether it starts again or not. Cold it might run but you won't make it out of the marina before something bad happens.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 17:09   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 41 OI / 22' Macgregor

Perkins are tough, fill it and try it.
jeff gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 17:17   #4

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I agree. Don't despair yet. What happened is bad , for sure. Can't sugar coat it. But- you might not be totally screwed. Get oil back in the engine, try running it. A compression test will tell you lots. The 4108 is sleeved, so even if u have screwed the rings and sleeves, it's not a huge job to make it right again.

Don't give up until you have to! 4108's are worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 17:30   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

50/50 chance, fill it with oil, see how it starts and runs, compare the oil pressure from before the mishap to after. If oil pressure is good and the engine starts easily, you've probably avoided serious damage...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 17:58   #6

Thanks for the advice everybody- I'll fill her with oil tomorrow and see if she starts. Fingers crossed!
asumpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 18:05   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Ouch.
Most likely damaged for life.
If you get it started, would you trust it in heavy traffic or trying to claw away from a nasty shore?

It is all about money. If you are piss-poor, you may not have a choice: try to keep it running even if you know it is damaged.
If you have lived way below your means, have it re-built or replaced for a good nights sleep.
Old 23-05-2015, 18:17   #8

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Well, I don't think it's all about money, and I don't agree that it is categorically screwed for life and can't be relied upon ever again.

I think those could easily be the observations of a uninformed and fearful populace.

The thoughtful and resourceful will consider the facts and make reasoned decisions based on actual measurements and observations...

I certainly agree that it could be a dead engine- but I would wager that it isn't yet.

Please do let us know what the end result is.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 18:18   #9

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Is there a compression release on the engine? Haven't seen anyone mention it, but if it is literally dry, after adding oil back, you can turn it over a few times with decompression engaged to recoat everything before subjecting it to compression.
Don't know if this is useful in the present circumstance vs how it's usually used on engines that have sat for a while, but couldn't hurt really.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 18:23   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. think those could easily be the observations of a uninformed and fearful populace.
Hmm, okay?
Soo, some poor slob runs his Diesel engine out of lube oil until it quits and there is no damage and not a matter of money to put it right?

Not sure what planet you are from but you think those observations could easily be from somebody fearful and uninformed?
Old 23-05-2015, 18:24   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by asumpton View Post
Hi I need some advice- today the oil pressure gauge line fell off and the oil all dumped into the pan. The alarm is nonfunctional and I didn't notice until the engine- a Perkins 4-108 lost power and quit. From losing power to quitting was probably about 45 seconds.

Have I destroyed the engine?

To test can I simply replace the oil and see if she cranks up, or should I do something more?

Thank you for your help
I did not notice that my dad had drained the engine oil out of 51 Buick back when I was a teenager and I took it for a spin. I drove it for about 5 miles then back home again. Dad was pretty upset. We put oil in it (straight 8) and there was never a problem.

I bought a new '69 Datsun 510 2 dr sedan. I stopped on a trip to have the 1200 mile maintenance done on it in Arizona somewhere. They forgot to put oil in it. We drove about 20 miles before I stopped at a service station. I always checked the oil in those days and found the problem. It ran fine for another 2 years with no problems before I traded it in. Great car.

Your 4-108 is bullet proof compared to those engines and I would think it will be just fine. Gotta figure out why it dumped the oil though.

Let us know how she runs.
Old 23-05-2015, 18:26   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I'm with the 50/50 crowd.

One thing for sure is that you have reduced it's remaining life span; the only question is by how much?

If it starts and sounds OK, has good oil pressure, warm it up, run at cruising RPMs (at the dock), then try WOT etc.

If there isn't much difference to before the oil dump, then get a compression test and maybe after enough hours, an oil analysis.

Good luck.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 18:27   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Is there a compression release on the engine? Haven't seen anyone mention it, but if it is literally dry, after adding oil back, you can turn it over a few times with decompression engaged to recoat everything before subjecting it to compression.
Don't know if this is useful in the present circumstance vs how it's usually used on engines that have sat for a while, but couldn't hurt really.

No compression release on a 4-108
Old 23-05-2015, 18:31   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yep, have seen some engines seized and totally destroyed and seen others that hardly had a problem.

So, it depends...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 18:41   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
Well, I don't think it's all about money, and I don't agree that it is categorically screwed for life and can't be relied upon ever again.

I think those could easily be the observations of a uninformed and fearful populace.

The thoughtful and resourceful will consider the facts and make reasoned decisions based on actual measurements and observations...

I certainly agree that it could be a dead engine- but I would wager that it isn't yet.

Please do let us know what the end result is.

Uninformed? Who is? You let an engine seize up and it's damaged. Do you even understand what has happened when an engine has seized up?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, oil