Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2018, 19:56   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Racor Parts

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement value (the whole block) indicated by the arrow?

We dont seem to have the parts locally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racor.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	176431  
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 22:35   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Racor Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement value (the whole block) indicated by the arrow?

I have a replacement valve block - unused, in its Racor sealed plastic bag.

The deal being that I had a problem with the valve in my Racor 75/500FGX2 earlier this year. I tried to find parts in Aus, only to get the wrong part from the Aus distributor.

I talked to Racor tech support in the US. Found them very helpful. But they could not tell me, even when I gave them the serial number of my Racor, exactly what replacement valve block I needed.

Deal being that Racor subtly redesigned the valve block. But did I have the older model (for which no replacement valve block is available) or the newer model (for which a replacement block is available).

I ordered a replacement valve block. Turned out that my Racor is the older model. So I have a replacement "newer model" valve block. Unused. In mint condition.

Give me a day or three to get it out of its storage locker and I'll give you dimensions (I'll leave it in its sealed plastic bag and run calipers over it - and my own older valve block. The difference between the two model variations includes a subtle change in dimensions).

Thwarted by the change in model variant, I bought a kit to recondition the valve. And that's the source of my problem (and probably yours too!??)

The story - as I understand it - is that before some magic date the valves were installed with a washer made of a material that eventually causes a failure. After the magic date, a washer of a different material was used. At one stage, a Racor tech came close to admitting that to me and seemed ready to offer to send me, free of charge, a valve rebuild kit. But that never eventuated.
Old 29-08-2018, 23:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
I have a replacement valve block - unused, in its Racor sealed plastic bag.

The deal being that I had a problem with the valve in my Racor 75/500FGX2 earlier this year. I tried to find parts in Aus, only to get the wrong part from the Aus distributor.

I talked to Racor tech support in the US. Found them very helpful. But they could not tell me, even when I gave them the serial number of my Racor, exactly what replacement valve block I needed.

Deal being that Racor subtly redesigned the valve block. But did I have the older model (for which no replacement valve block is available) or the newer model (for which a replacement block is available).

I ordered a replacement valve block. Turned out that my Racor is the older model. So I have a replacement "newer model" valve block. Unused. In mint condition.

Give me a day or three to get it out of its storage locker and I'll give you dimensions (I'll leave it in its sealed plastic bag and run calipers over it - and my own older valve block. The difference between the two model variations includes a subtle change in dimensions).

Thwarted by the change in model variant, I bought a kit to recondition the valve. And that's the source of my problem (and probably yours too!??)

The story - as I understand it - is that before some magic date the valves were installed with a washer made of a material that eventually causes a failure. After the magic date, a washer of a different material was used. At one stage, a Racor tech came close to admitting that to me and seemed ready to offer to send me, free of charge, a valve rebuild kit. But that never eventuated.
Thanks for your kind offer - please see PM.

I don'y know what vintage my valve block is, but the engine/boat is late 80s - early 90s.

Cheers

Al
Old 29-08-2018, 23:16   #4

Did yours look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180826_160230.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	176436  
Old 29-08-2018, 23:57   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Mine did not look as pretty as yours!

I'll send you an image by e-mail.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:09   #6

It looks like there is a kit to fix my Racors and this has been documented on some older threads:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...urn-73152.html

Will order the parts today :-)

Got the engine going for the moment after locking the valve open.

Al
Old 02-09-2018, 01:48   #7

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Hello,

So you are after a three way valve. Two options below depending on what sizes you require.

Seachoice Brass Fuel Line 1/4" NPT 3 Way Valve | SmartMarine

Seachoice Brass Fuel Line 3/8" NPT 3 Way Valve | SmartMarine
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, racor