Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 15:31   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
Racor Gasoline Fuel Filters: Why Not for Diesel ?

I have installed 320RRACO1 fuel filters for my Yanmar diesels. When I purchased them I was told that I could use them with diesel fuel. I am now wondering if I have been given a bum steer. Any advice from the Brains' Trust would be appreciated.

Also as it does not have a fitting hole for a pressure gauge, can I add one in line before the filter. If so any suggestions as to what brand, preferrably with a fixed second indicator?
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 15:45   #2
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Parker - Racor web site seem to indicate it is designed for Gasoline. http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...S&Wtky=FILTERS
Old 11-02-2010, 15:54   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Filters designed for use with diesel will always seperate the fuel from the water. Those designed for gasoline will usually but not always allow water to pass.
As the results of water in diesel injectors is relativly horrific I'd stray as far away from gas filters on a diesel as I could.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 17:23   #4

Speak to Thorensens RACOR 320RRAC01 RACOR 60 GPH Fuel Filter/Water Separator - OUTBOARD ONLY Ships Store Torresen Ask them if it is possible to buy filter elements suitable for diesel (quote your Yanmar model) for the 320R-RAC-01 unit . Which by the way is specifically designed for OUTBOARD GASOLINE engines.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 17:25   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I don't think the water seperator is in the filter it is part of the design of the filtration system.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 17:47   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Exactly so. It is the element material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I don't think the water separator is in the filter it is part of the design of the filtration system.
To my knowledge, expereince (and checking the Parker web site, http://www.parker.com/literature/Rac...rochure%29.pdf), Raycor uses the same aqua-block media in both and they both swell and close off in the presence of water.

A metal bowl is required for gasoline inboard aplication. As far As I can tell, that is the only difference. There may be gasket material differences.

I have had phase separation with gasoline and had the filters stop within 500 yards both times. Thus, the admonition to carry a spare filter, wrenches, and something to drain the water into.

Check the bowl every time when the temperature drops in the fall.

Tags
fuel, racor