Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2013, 15:29   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Racor Fuel Polisher

DotDun can you post a link to Parker's claim that high flow fuel filtration does not remove entrained water?

Old 06-02-2013, 15:52   #92

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
So the whole sales pitch about the turbine and the Parker filters is just that, a sales pitch and nothing else? The Racor literature says this about that.

TURBINE SERIES - FUEL FILTER/WATER SEPARATOR (MARINE) - Parker

Their literature also says this.
Again, the emphasis is mine.

1) You are asking the wrong crowd. I doubt if Parker is monitoring this thread.

2) I don't have any of those filters and I wonder how many small engine sailboats do.

3) I wasn't about to invest the $$ in the kind of system that requires those filters. Nick built a beautiful system on Jedi, I don't want that!

4) It has never been claimed the FPM was a solution for everyone. I'm positive there are applications where the FPM is not a fit.

Jeeesh....

Old 06-02-2013, 15:53   #93

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
DotDun can you post a link to Parker's claim that high flow fuel filtration does not remove entrained water?
Parker Fuel Polishing Module - Prevent Fuel System Corrosion
Old 06-02-2013, 19:47   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Zee... I was obviously talking about eliminating the pickup issue.... Guessing larger ss bearings like 3/8-1/2".... modifying any pickup tube to eliminate chance of blockage or restriction.... just wondering if it has been tried???
Happy,

I like your idea. What about glass marbles, they come in larger sizes and wouldn't present the problem of dissimilar metals. Cheap too.
Old 20-06-2013, 07:58   #95

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharki127 View Post
The people at Racor will not answer specific questions in my emails.
I'm currently experiencing the same issue, would like some answers from Racor relating to filters/water separators but no joy.
I can't say I would be happy.
Old 23-06-2013, 02:09   #96

Boat: Sunbeam 44
Re: Fuel Polisher - couple of questions ?

Not sure this warrants a new thread - so will add here.

Been watching forum advice on Fuel Polishing. Planning to build my own parallel circuit. I dont have any additional feeds to use from fuel tank and will not be adding any. Already have Separ filter in main fuel line.

Consists of - Tee'd spur draw from main engine feed line (near tank), Solenoid 2 way valve (opens spur when pump switched on) + 12v fuel pump (max 6PSI), into Racor filter unit & return into Tee'd engine fuel return line. Engine is a Yanmar 4JH4-TE.

Have couple of Noob questions - appreciate advice .. clarity..

1. Currently, the Yanmar uses a mechanical fuel pump to draw fuel from tank. Are there any consequences to adding an additional 12v pump to this line, which I guess, would increase pressure of fuel reaching the Yanmar pump ? Can the Yanmar mech pump deal with a positive pressure on the input?

2. if I run the polishing circuit whilst the engine is running - with the 12v pump in the spur - I am assuming I could starve the engine of fuel (8mm fuel line) - hence question on placing 12v pump in main line.

3. If I am pumping the polished fuel back into the existing engine fuel return line - is that OK ? Is there a problem of this line being under pressure and fuel being pushed back up towards the engine and into wherever it comes from ?

hope thats clear and thanks for any friendly advice or comments ...
Old 18-09-2013, 23:35   #97

What do you thing of 3 Racor 900's in series with a 180 gph pump

Filters 30, 20 and 10

What 12 volt Pump to use ? 2 Walboro 60 GPH IN PARALLEL ?

Thinking of cancelling my order for ALGA SMART FUEL POLISHER 80 GPH for the above cheaper arrange and looks like a better Polishing system.
Experienced feed back please.
Old 19-09-2013, 14:25   #98

I made a DIY fuel polishing system for my Valiant at the same time that I installed a couple of plates in the top of the fuel tank (one on either side of the baffle). I also took the opportunity to install a second fuel outlet pipe very close to the tank bottom.

I installed the plates, used a putty knife on the end of a piece of PVC pipe and scraped the crud out. I then used a Swiffer with a shop rag wrapped around it and soaked in lacquer thinner to clean up the remaining stuff. I had to put aluminum foil around the plastic Swiffer to keep the lacquer thinner from melting it. I then bought a 110vac pump from Harbor Freight, hooked it up to the new fuel outlet via an old Racor 500 filter that I had laying around, and fired it up. I ran the polishing system outlet hose back into the tank through one of the plates. Works great...and cheap!

Ray Russell
Valiant 40 #163
Enshalla

Baltimore, MD
Old 20-05-2014, 18:27   #99

Boat: Amel Sharki 41'

To follow up on my experience with the FPM 050. The folks at Parker, "after extensive testing", replaced my FPM 050 with a new unit. The unit is sitting in a friend's basement in Maine.
A few weeks ago I finally got around to assembling a low tech fuel polisher that has been described often on this forum. I used a Walbro pump rated at 43 gph, and a Racor FG500 rated at 60 gph. The pump pulls fuel through the filter. This simple set up is mounted on a piece plywood. Using 3/8" fuel line I am able to reach the bottom of my tank with both intake and return. I can also use the unit to pump from jerry cans into my tank. This is important to me because I often fuel up from jerry cans. The polishing unit stores inside a 5 gallon plastic pail when not in use.
I should have built this set up years ago. I simply couldn't be happier with it.
In preparation for this project I had purchased the necessary three way valves and fittings so I could have installed the system in-line on my engine. I could always do that later, but, right now this off line method seems pretty nice. From now on nothing goes into my tank that hasn't traveled through the FG500.
Old 01-06-2014, 20:41   #100

Boat: Allied 39

My brother sent me this link some time ago about fuel filtration that I thought the group might enjoy. There are other options besides Racor. http://www.sbmar.com/articles/marine..._seaboard_way/

Regards

Chuck
Old 14-06-2014, 17:38   #101

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Good thread. Building my fuel polishing rig now. MaineSail, where did you source your vacuum gauge? Thanks again for everybody's efforts.
Old 14-06-2014, 18:43   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Good thread. Building my fuel polishing rig now. MaineSail, where did you source your vacuum gauge? Thanks again for everybody's efforts.
A New Fuel Tank & Polishing System - SailboatOwners.com

drag needle gauge

Don't know if a source is in this link, but try McMaster Carr for starters.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 20:23   #103

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Thanks Stu.

Tags
fuel, racor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: