Old 12-03-2011, 09:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Racor Fuel Polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
just install an over sized filter and maintain it :shrug:
Had one...

That view is looking down into the hole cut in the tank you can see the piece of metal that fell into the tank and a baffle and also a LOT of tank grunge and grime. This boat used Soltron well before it was marketed in the US as Startron, and it had been treated religiously for the last 15+ years, yet this is what the interior looked like.

It should also be noted that this was after TWO treatments Startron Enzyme Formula Diesel Fuel Tank Cleaner. Fuel tank "cleaner"? Really? Not in my experience... Oh and this tank had also been professionally polished by a dock side fuel polishing outfit. Polished? Really?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:25   #17

Thanks guys.Thats exactly the discussion I wanted.Thanks for the pics of your installations.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:12   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Like others in this thread I installed my own fuel polishing system using a Racor 900 filter and a small pump that draws just under 1A.
As the OP says it is much cheaper than the Racor system and does the same thing.
The low volume of the pump means it does not stir up the tank (although like others I think a high volume pump misses many areas of the tank), but I run it while sailing. I think rough conditions stir up the tank better than anything else.
Even with a low volume pump I am still filtering the fuel quantity in 6-10 hours. With excess power in summer I normally run it all day, even at anchor, although without the tank stirring I would expect the effect to be less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filters s.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	24977  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19   #19
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

If we want to stir up the tank and polish the fuel while also getting the loosely attached stuff, we polish while in rough seas or during a front, on the hook, in an unprotected harbor.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38

The only things I would add to this discussion is that I installed a manually wound timer switch that runs for up to 1 hour so that I can set how long I want the system to run, and it will automatically shut off when the timer runs down.
I also used two filters so that I can have 30 micron and 10 micron filter steps.
The system can be set to polish the fuel and return it to the main tank, or transfer it to the day tank after cleaning.
The whole system is enclosed in a stainless cabinet to protect it in case fo fire in the engine room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelSystem.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	24978   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000794.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	24979  

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:27   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

rustypirate, I like your system except for one thing. Your return lines should extend into the tank to near the bottom of the tank (3/4 inch or so). This will do two things. It will help to stir up the fuel and it will decrease/prevent foaming.

Your idea of putting the pump and filters in a stainless box is a great one.
Old 12-03-2011, 13:05   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
rustypirate, I like your system except for one thing. Your return lines should extend into the tank to near the bottom of the tank (3/4 inch or so). This will do two things. It will help to stir up the fuel and it will decrease/prevent foaming.
Return lines near the bottom of the tank is often suggested, but I wonder if it always sensible.
I have watched the fuel return from my (small) polishing pump and there is a bit of foaming, but it is nowhere near the fuel pick up I cannot imagine it ever coming remotely close to the fuel pick up.
The small pump is not likely to stir up the tank no matter where the return is.

The above may not be true for every installation, but I many people believe the fuel return or polishing return should be below the fuel level in all cases.

The big advantage of returning the fuel to the top of the tank is it cannot siphon back in the event of a leak or fire. No shut off valve is necessary.

I have never tried running a diesel with the return supply shut off, but I suspect its not a good thing to do and a shut off valve on the return line makes this a possibility.

If the fuel return or polishing return (assuming a small pump) cannot cause any foaming at the fuel pick up an above fuel return seems not just acceptable but desirable.
Old 12-03-2011, 13:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Foaming introduces oxygen to the fuel and thereby increases oxygenation of the fuel.
Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information - Sponsored by OSTI
Old 12-03-2011, 13:49   #24

For a dedicated polishing loop, is there a reason to not use the finest available Racor filters (e.g. 2 micron)? No worry about engine problems from a clogged filter since it's on a separate loop.

Carl
Old 12-03-2011, 13:53   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Foaming introduces oxygen to the fuel and thereby increases oxygenation of the fuel.
Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information - Sponsored by OSTI
The paper quoted doesn’t seem very relevant, but seem to disuses how oxygen introduced to diesel fuel is helpful in reducing emissions.

"Another method of reformulating diesel fuel to
reduce emissions is to incorporate oxygen in the
fuel,

This work demonstrates the potentially seamless
transition that could be achieved with incorporation
of oxygenates in diesel fuel to reduce
emissions."
Old 12-03-2011, 14:17   #26
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
For a dedicated polishing loop, is there a reason to not use the finest available Racor filters (e.g. 2 micron)? No worry about engine problems from a clogged filter since it's on a separate loop.

Carl
I have used a 2 mic on the "engine feed line" for years with no problem. It makes it where I don't need to service the 7 mic filter on the engine. I have checked the 7 mic filter after 5 years and found it pristine.

I had been warned that this fine a filtration could more easily clog early, or damage the little lift pump, but it works for me. The fuel was filtered with the Baja going into the tank, then biocided and polished if it sat around, and a Racor 500 is HUGE for my little 18 HP engine. We have a vacuum gauge on the Racor, and running the engine creates so little vacuum that it doesn't budge the needle!

I have never felt like the Racor was clogging, but change it once a year anyway, jus cause...

Mark
Old 12-03-2011, 22:40   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38

Thanks for your comments on my diagram,
I will most likely run the return line at least part way down the tank.

I am also going to add vacuum guages so tha I can monitor when each filter needs to be replaced. I will mount the guages in the door of the cabinet so that I can see them without needing to open it.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 23:02   #28

Boat: Tartan 3500

The fuel system is self-polishing. Filtered, unused fuel is returned back to the tank. Wouldn't a dual filter system accomplish the same thing - just take a lot longer? If/when the 1st filter is blocked, switch to the 2nd filter. That and a vacuum gauge and you are set. This is what I'm thinking about adding.
Don
Old 13-03-2011, 03:11   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
The fuel system is self-polishing. Filtered, unused fuel is returned back to the tank. Wouldn't a dual filter system accomplish the same thing - just take a lot longer? If/when the 1st filter is blocked, switch to the 2nd filter. That and a vacuum gauge and you are set. This is what I'm thinking about adding.
Don
A dual filter system is nice to have, but is different to a fuel polisher. The amount of fuel returned to the tank by the normal return line is small. This fuel has been filtered or polished but it is only a tiny fraction of the fuel quantity and doest have much impact.
A fuel polisher even with a small pump will filter the equivalent of the entire fuel volume in a day.
A fuel polisher is designed to prevent fuel problems, a dual filter set up can be used to manage fuel problems when they occur.
Although they are different concepts with some pluming fittings you make the fuel polish filter serve both purposes.
Old 18-03-2011, 05:30   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I put in one of the Racor units and I was not impressed with it. The pump needs to be installed horizontal, not vertical. They don't tell you that. I can't seem to keep a prime on the system. It will run for hours but when I come back it isn't pumping. The discharge line is dry.

So, I used that pick up for an Airtronic heater and it ran all winter without fail. So its not the pick up.

And it really isn't for cleaning, but keeping condensate water out, as noted above. I'll like put in a bigger pump that really does circulate and clean.

Tags
fuel, racor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: