Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2008, 15:06   #31

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
it won't flow. Racors larger than the 200 series have check valves in them
Hmmm, but it does work, makes bleeding the system a doddle. Chuck's point about it gunking up eventually is of some concern though.

Edit: unit is a Racor 500
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 16:44   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If one read the installation instructions for fuel pumps, they should have a filter between them and the tank. This greatly reduces pump failure. I believe racors do not do well on positive pressure on the inlet side.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 16:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Hmmm, but it does work, makes bleeding the system a doddle. Chuck's point about it gunking up eventually is of some concern though.

Edit: unit is a Racor 500
and some say you can fish with dynamite too.

Parker Hanfin clearly states "for suction side use" on their units.

From the Parker site
Quote:
Marine Turbine Series filter assemblies are designed to be installed on the vacuum side of the fuel transfer pump for best efficiency and protect precision engine components from dirt, rust, algae, asphaltines, varnishes, and especially water, which is prevalent in engine fuels.

link for verification
MARINE TURBINE SERIES (2008 - Parker)

replacement check ball kit part #

RK 15010B
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 19:02   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Instructions? Instructions? Vee don' need no steenkin instructions.....HAR HAR HAR
Keepin it lite!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 08:43   #35

I'd like to move my Racor higher up in the engine compartment. If the Racor 500 is mounted a few inches higher than the electric pump (Facet), will this cause issues? I'd just like better sight access to the bowl...

So, it would be fuel tank, up-hill to Racor, down-hill to pump...
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 21:04   #36

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Mine is that way ...no problums

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 22:47   #37

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Sears carries "hose pinch off pliers". A wonderful pivoting vice grip type plier with a smooth finish and it auto locks. These are the best!. We service engines for a living and never shut off a boats valves when servicing, we just pinch off the soft hose a few inches in front of the filter. Works on water hoses also, up to about 5/8th or maybe 3/4. They bare about $5, (PS I do not own Sears!, no profit motive)
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 00:35   #38

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Return Line Shutoff

I think this is a good idea, and will be installing one on my boat. I have had my bilge filled with several gallons of diesel twice now. Both times by "professional" mechanics. I am not sure what caused it the first time, but on the second, the mechanic left the fuel return line disconnected while waiting for new glow plugs to come from the supplier. This line is right in the way when changing the plug for #1 cylinder. It back siphoned from the tank. Everything else was connected and the main fuel line valve was off.

What a stinky, messy job to clean this up and get the smell out, to say nothing of the waste of fuel.

Just thought you might want to know that it can happen.
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 05:15   #39

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Redoing my fuel system in January, new tanks, new filter, hoses, pump.

I agree there should be shut off valves at most junctions. all tanks both return and supply, each filter, to isolate them. I do't think adding a shut off to a vent line would be good though.
Using pliers to pinch off the fuel line may sound like a neat idea, and in a emergent situation would be fine, but I for one would not want to get in the habit of doing that. smooth jaws or not, you will surely not do that hose any good by doing that.

Captn Wil's Fuel Polishing System: Trawlers & Trawlering How To
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 05:43   #40

Boat: Privilege 37
A word of warning about too many shut off valves.

Each time you add one shut off valve, you are introducing three potential air leaks into the system.

one at each side of the valve = 2

The valve shaft itself - this has been known to be a source of air leakage into the pipes.
Old 30-11-2008, 06:21   #41

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Here is something I read years ago I wold not try it without double checking as to how dangerous it might be or if it would work at all.
On a website like this a guy said he had installed a valve on the lower part of his fuel tank. He claimed to have hooked a vacuum cleaner to the filler and sealed it pretty well turned it on and unscrewed the hose. the vacuum cleaner pulled air through the fitting and kept diesel from flowing out as he quickly made the switch.
I am by no means recommending this proceedure but ask around you may find someone who has done it?
I would suggest using the fuel till the level is low then draining or pumping it into a bucket or jerry cans and doing the modification with calm and a beer
Good luck
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, racor