Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-11-2007, 12:17   #16

New units can be bought with any of the filters in them. Most commonly stocked 500's are with 2 mcn filters.
All new style 500 elements come with the needed spacer. Making one is simple, I believe the directions are on their web site.

Old 29-11-2007, 13:37   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pat-
"The engine supply fuel pump is plenty strong enough to prime the system after all it runs the system at full load "
That's great if you have an electric pump and separate switch to run it manually. But for many small craft, the only way to run the diesel pump is to crank the engine (mechanical diaphragm pump) and that can be a problem, since turning the pump is only possible when you crank the engine--and that's a great way to burn out the starter, which is only designed for shorter service.

No?

Old 29-11-2007, 13:55   #18

I have one of the Racor spin on series. 320,(oe 230, I forget right now) I belive. The elements are more expensive but the filter housing has a primeing pump to fil the bowl and bleed the system. It takes me all of 5 mins to bleed my engine from a very accessible filter near the tank.
Old 29-11-2007, 15:42   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So I should switch from 2m to 10m, in order to get more water seperation? I've been using the 2m all this time thinking that "duh... why run a worse filter?" These are pre filters before my engine mounted one.
Old 29-11-2007, 17:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Pat-
"The engine supply fuel pump is plenty strong enough to prime the system after all it runs the system at full load "
That's great if you have an electric pump and separate switch to run it manually. But for many small craft, the only way to run the diesel pump is to crank the engine (mechanical diaphragm pump) and that can be a problem, since turning the pump is only possible when you crank the engine--and that's a great way to burn out the starter, which is only designed for shorter service.

No?
No, The only engines I can think of that didn't have a priming pump were a series of Universals made in the late 80's just prior to the buy-out by Westerbeke. Every other engine has a way to bleed it.

wait, there are many sets of Cat 3116's out there that didn't have priming pumps fitted at installation. But I'm retrofitting these as I find them.
Old 30-11-2007, 07:48   #21

Boat: Pacific Trawler 37
Racor Filtration

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'll go ahead with the project and use a 500 series Racor. Hopefully I can match up any needed fittings from a variety of sources if necessary.
Old 30-11-2007, 09:15   #22

Boat: C-350 X-Factor
Pat... I have newer Universal 35B which came with a Racor 10 mcn installed upstream. I belive my instruction manual also calls for that. Are we saying that should be 30 mcn.?

Also, when u say change carefully, what do u mean other than filling with fuel, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 30-11-2007, 09:35   #23

10mcn is acceptable. 30mcn is preferred. I have a service bulletin from Universal somewhere with this statement.
The 500 can be changed by carefully removing the element and replacing it, making sure the housing is full of fuel to the top of the filter.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:55   #24

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Racor filters, Walbro pumps, polishing systems info

I was also told that the fuel pumps from a Subaru (purchased from a wrecker) work very well and are very robust. This person had one running long term in their boat as a fuel scrubber pump

Ariel - Cape Dory 36 - Projects - Fuel Schematics

Trawler World Features: Diesel Fuel Polishing System

Diesel Panel

Scroll down Passage Maker Yachts Inc. (Seattle, WA)

1110-6795 Dispenser,l Dispensers Professional Knowlege, fuel dispenser, gas pump, petrol pump, filling pump, petrol dispenser, fuel dispenser, gas pump, petrol pump, filling pump, petrol dispenser, gas pump petrol pump filling

Dave

Tags
racor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: