Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 15:33   #61

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Racor Filter element

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
The engine mounted fuel filter on my 4-108 is such a pain to change I keep a 30 micron filter in it. But the racor, easy to change and I do it every hundred hours, is a 2 micron. Since I only jerry jug fuel, everything going in to the tank goes through a baja filter.
How do you control the micron size of the engine mounted filter? I haven't heard of those listing the micron size or being available in different sizes.

If you have a 2 micron upstream, then why is the 30 micron necessary?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:58   #62

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Those engines like the Perkins 4-108 that have like CAV style system are easily removed and replaced with like a Racor 500.

But you can also get a screw on attachment for the CAV style's which converts your system into 'screw on' filters which helps with the mess. Still not as good as a 500, but it's better than the CAV style.

I'll never have a boat with CAV style filters again.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:24   #63

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I buddy boated in Mexico years ago with a friend who was a physicist for Hewlett Packard. He had some fine mesh screen from work that was green in color. I think it was Teflon coated or something like that. We used to put it in our Baja filters. The really cool thing about it was it would pass diesel but not pass water! You could pour a little water in the filter and it would just sit there.
Trouble was the Baja filters were too slow to really use in the first place... with that in there it took forever!

The Baja filter later added a third screen that was similar to what you described. It was the bottom filter in line and was primarily the water trap. Fuel docks hate these thing since they really slow down the fill. Since we almost always jerry jug the fuel a siphon works just fine with this method. BUT if you get a large dose of water the Baja filter water trap element will fill up and still allow some water to slip by between the aluminum housing and inserts. After 15 years of using this method we switched to the West Marine plastic funnel type water trap. It's easier to clean and stow plus much lighter. You can also easily tip off the fuel left in the bottom versus the Baja filter which is messier.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-01-2015, 10:04   #64

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Rule of thumb, primary filter gets no less than 10 mic. Filter.
Secondary filter, 2 mic.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, racor