Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2014, 11:52   #16

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Re: Racor Filter element

thanks all, it sounds like to me 30m is the way to go, for me any way.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 12:35   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

I wonder how many people even change their fuel filters in the period before an engine warranty expires.

When I last replaced my filter I just got the same as was installed and didn't overthink it.
Old 30-12-2014, 12:39   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If the vacuum gauge doesn't move I don't see how my massively oversized filter is starving the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I don't think it would hurt anything at all, and you can't have fuel too clean,
But and this is a large but, your smart enough to watch a vacuum gauge, most are not.
Remember designers have to design for the average not so smart type, you may be surprised at how many people don't know they have two fuel filters. I bet if you asked most what type of fuel filter they had, they wouldn't even know.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 13:10   #19

Boat: Allied 39

The yanmar engine fuel filter is 10 micron. Using a 10 or smaller upstream in you Racor should eliminate ever having to change the filter on the engine. We have been using this method since we installed the Yanmar 5 years ago.

BTW: When we installed the engine the certified Yanmar rep did tell us to change out the 2 micron we normally run and go to the 10 micron. He said it would void our warranty. So we ended up trading 2 cases of 2 micron filter for 10 micron. Thinking about it later the vacuum gauge would show if there was any issues with drawing to much vacuum. Crap by that time it was to late as I had already switched out the 2 micron for 10 micron. Figure I will switch back to 2 micron when I run out of the 10's. Ha since I have only changed out the Racor one time in 5 years it could be a very long wait

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-12-2014, 13:22   #20

Sailmonkey: "Fwiw I use a 2 micron and never change the engine filter."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
+1
Changing the Racor filter only means I do not have to bleed the engine so much quicker to do in an emergency

Also I have fitted a vacuum gauge which has saved me serious bucks avoiding unnecessary filter changes
This may be faulty logic... using a 2 micron can mean the filter will stop flow when a 10 might not!
This thread is a bit like anchors though... some use 2's some use 20's. Both swear by them.

I say the most important thing is a clean tank!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 14:39   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Sailmonkey: "Fwiw I use a 2 micron and never change the engine filter."

This may be faulty logic... using a 2 micron can mean the filter will stop flow when a 10 might not!
This thread is a bit like anchors though... some use 2's some use 20's. Both swear by them.

I say the most important thing is a clean tank!

See, by my logic, the whole tank is turned every four hours of motoring.....therefore, barring any settled gunk, completely clean and no further problems to be expected. It's worked for over 2000 engine hours for me. I have changed the engine fuel filter twice in this amount of time, and the Racor 4 or 5 times. I'd need to look at the log to be sure.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 14:53   #22

Quote:
See, by my logic, the whole tank is turned every four hours of motoring.....therefore, barring any settled gunk, completely clean and no further problems to be expected. It's worked for over 2000 engine hours for me. I have changed the engine fuel filter twice in this amount of time, and the Racor 4 or 5 times. I'd need to look at the log to be sure.

How do you turn the tank over ( I assume you mean run the entire fuel capacity thru the filter) every four hours?? You just have a gallon or two tank?

Old 30-12-2014, 15:21   #23

Quote:
How do you turn the tank over ( I assume you mean run the entire fuel capacity thru the filter) every four hours?? You just have a gallon or two tank?
I've got 40 gallons, the engine moves roughly 8-10 gph at cruise speed while only consuming 0.4 gph. And yes, I mean the entire capacity of the tank through the filter.
Old 30-12-2014, 15:43   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

In my mind the "void the warranty" is bunk. Can anyone point me to a page in the owners manual that says this? Put a vacuum gauge with a "tell tale" on it and you will know when it is time to change the filter. Actually I think it is best practice to change both filters on an annual basis. IMHO.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 16:38   #25

Quote:
I've got 40 gallons, the engine moves roughly 8-10 gph at cruise speed while only consuming 0.4 gph. And yes, I mean the entire capacity of the tank through the filter.
Wow... what engine do you have... none of mine were more than a dribble of returned fuel... and they were: perkins and nanni to 85 hp...

Old 30-12-2014, 16:57   #26

Quote:
Wow... what engine do you have... none of mine were more than a dribble of returned fuel... and they were: perkins and nanni to 85 hp...
it's a phasor marinized kubota. I discovered it's fuel moving capabilities while running from a 5 gallon jug with the return still in the main tank......I was a little suprised to say the least.
Old 30-12-2014, 20:24   #27

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
In my mind the "void the warranty" is bunk. Can anyone point me to a page in the owners manual that says this? Put a vacuum gauge with a "tell tale" on it and you will know when it is time to change the filter. Actually I think it is best practice to change both filters on an annual basis. IMHO.

I agree but when you spend $11,000 for a new engine and its under warranty and the Certified Yanmar rep who you bought it from and signing off on the install tells you that...... With hindsight I should have blown it off.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-12-2014, 20:49   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

chouliha, probably would have done the same thing if one of my big interests wasn't fuel systems. Experiencing a clogged fuel line in a seaway brings home the importance of cleanliness in your fuel system. This includes filtering the fuel.

One of my gurus has stated that in talking to a number of engine manufacturers he was surprised at how little they knew about filtering.

A two micron filter will not catch all particles over 2 microns in size. They catch most and of course the larger the particle the larger the percentage of them will be caught. The new common rail systems require much better filtering than the older engines because of tight tolerances and higher pressures. However I have read (written by someone I trust) that the most damage to the older engines will be caused by particles around the 7 micron size (approximately). This is because the particles can get trapped between moving parts with fit tolerances around that size.

I can see no reason that a 2 micron filter would cause any damage to an engine so long as a vacuum gauge is fitted and the filters are maintained; meaning changed when required as shown by the vacuum gauge or on an annual basis.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 21:56   #29

Ok some very related advice from the cf Greek chorus. On my previous boat which had a beta installed professionally by a diesel freak, it had two filters one primary racor with a 30 micron and the engine mounted which was 10 micron. Now I have a yanmar 2gm20f. There's a primary racor also 30 microns, and the engine mounted which I gather from reading this thread is 10 or 20 microns.

The amount of flow for a small diesel like this is so small that I'm thinking that fitting a 2 micron in the racor might do the trick and save me from having to change the engine mounted filter which on the yanmar is very difficult to bleed etc. and really is a major pain in the butt. Do you all think I'm nuts for thinking about doing this? The diesel freak guy had me change both filters in the spring religiously no matter how many hours etc. As much as they are a pain in the butt to change, maybe it's still better than having to change injectors down the road... What to do?
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 22:30   #30

I have a Fram fuel/water separator for the secondary, for which I buy Wix cartridges. The one on the engine, I also buy Wix, rather than pay an arm and a leg for the Universal part. Engine is a Universal 5424.

I found that both Wix cartridges are 10 micron. Does this make sense? Is the secondary achieving anything? I suppose it is easier to change, slightly.

Nomenclature. I'm calling the one on the engine the primary. Is that right?

Tags
men, racor