Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2010, 07:30   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Racor Filter

I need a new primary filter for the generator (although it is run very little since I got some solar panels).
As I need to order a new primary filter I am thinking of transferring the Main engines Racor 500 filter to the generator and ordering a Racor 900 for the main engine.
The 900 is larger than the 54Hp main engine needs, but I have the room and the cost above the Racor 500 for the unit and replacement filters is only small.
The reason for thinking of switching to the larger unit I was impressed by the improvement in the larger filters ability to resist “solids before clogging”.
53g of solids will result in a 2psi increase in pressure for the 500 series, but the 900 with its larger surface area can have 225g. (Racor figures for 10 micron filter)
I have recently had some sludge in my filters. This needs addressing with some biocide and a cleanout which I plan to do shortly. It would seem the 900 would at least result in a greater margin of safety if this problem occurs again.
I have never seen a large filter like this fitted to a small engine, but it would seem to me to be good insurance for a small outlay. Am I missing something?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 07:41   #2

just add a 500 to the gen. That will minimize what you need for spares with the redundancy.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 07:46   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
It never hurts to put as big a filter in as you can fit.

Most of the time, I see filters that are woefully small on diesels....because owners were to cheap.....I had one that experienced water in his fuel....by the time he got done futzing....he had managed to get water all the way to the injectors....it was a small Racor...I believe it was a 120.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 07:50   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
A while back I stopped in at British marine to pick up a couple parts for my perkins 4-108 and got to talking about the motor.. He informed me that the 4-108 is a tractor motor and only 7% of the motors were put in the marine industry.. So a week or so ago I went to the local tractor company and sure-enough... there sets a number of perkins motors on pallets ready for work as stationary water pumps for farm use...
So I got to thinking..time to build that duel filter system I've wanted for years now but have avoided because of the price.. (Racors is over $1000.00 for the system)
so I ask the guy at the tractor parts store about filters, and valves.. and he sets me up with two large filters with water block Elements, all the hardware and beleve this.. I walked out for less than $200.00 dollars for all equeptment to set up the duel filter system..
And My whole thinking was, If they can put a tractor motor in my boat, why cant I put a tractor filter in there also..........
And as you can see, its about 10 inches tall with an element about 5 inches tall...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	13544  
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 07:54   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
just add a 500 to the gen. That will minimize what you need for spares with the redundancy.
Thanks for the comment. You make a good point although in my case its not much of a factor. The generator is run very little and I order the filters on the net, they are cheaper by the dozeen so I always have plenty of spares.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 07:55   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
That looks pretty good Randy. Where do you get the tractor filters themselves. I have a Racor 200 on my boat and it is reasonably hard to find the filters for them and they are also more expensive than the 500 elements. I went out and bought the dual 500 series with the pressure gauge. Next step is to install it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 08:01   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
The name of the company is "Tractor Supply" for you Charlie, they are on Twin Cities rd. (HWY 104) just east of hwy 99 about 1 mile, between Elk Grove and Galt..
The name on the filter is "GoldenRod" and is made by "Dutton-Lainson Company" in Hastings Nebraska...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 08:19   #8

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
Remember, on a boat, if the filter is in the engine room, it's supposed to have a metal shield around the plastic sight bowl.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 08:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hendry View Post
Remember, on a boat, if the filter is in the engine room, it's supposed to have a metal shield around the plastic sight bowl.
this is only applicable to power boats with gas engines and "for hire" vessels in the US.
Old 26-02-2010, 08:24   #10

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Goldenrod, Water-Block Fuel Filter 496 With Water Absorbing - 0189529 | Tractor Supply Company

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 08:37   #11

as those filter collect water, they require more suction to pull fuel. This will shorten the life of a lift pump without monitoring.
Old 26-02-2010, 08:40   #12

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Racor filters are large and cheap (greem marine by the case). But I would not want to rely on them for the final filter. The seal is plastic flange that is suposed to sort of tighten to the shaft with presure from suction. Even with your fuel pump sucking through the filter (if you have one) it is marginal for 100% filtering. As a prefilter they are great. They will do a great job most of the time. But I would fit a possitive seal filter as a final. Still use the chap racors but have a real final. You can fit a T into the lines and put a cheap vacuume gage before each filter to see the restriction. This way you can change your racor regularly and only change the final when clogged from stuff that bypassed it. Even using the same micron filter you will find that much does bypass the racor.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 08:53   #13

Boat: Skookum 53'
Dual filter systems work well for being able to swap the filters out while underway, if you are adding and have the room it wouldn't hurt to look at that possibility, Filter Boss, has a good looking system, I haven't personally used one, since my vessel came with a dual system already installed, what I am doing is adding a small centrifuge to eliminate a lot of the contaminates prior to the arrival of the fuel to the Racors, then I can run the 2 micron filter elements with out an inordinate amount of filter changes. If you wanted to engineer your own dual system, there are several companies on the web that offer custom manifolds.
Old 26-02-2010, 09:27   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
I apologize in advance for this thread hijack but thisis a good place for me to ask this question. My generator rund off of its own fuel line run directly to the starboard tank. The generator was supplied with a racor 120 filter and no pre filter. It currently does not have a pre filter. The main engine is a yanmar 54 hp and the generator is a 7hp kubota. I just came up with this idea and am running it thru for problems. Can I install the Racor 500 series filters between the tank and the two engines. From there I would T off the 3/8" fuel line and run a 5/16 line to the generator. I would install a ball valve on the line that goes to the generator. From the Racor the fuel lines would go to the secondary filter on the yanmar and a 120 series Racor on the generator. I don't see that the generator and the engine would be ran at the same time very often if at all. My concerns are 1) if the generator (that has an electric lift pump) is running and the engine is not would this suck the fuel out of the engine so that I would have to reprime it and 2) would I get enough flow out of the 3/8" hose to run both of these engine at the same time. I assume that I could put either a gate valve or a back flow device (do they make these for fuel lines?) between the T for the generator so that when the generator is running there would be no backflow. Does anyone see a problem with doing this? I'll draw up a sketch and post it soon.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 09:35   #15

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Is that cenrafuge a powered unit or one of those spun be the fuel pressure?

Powered units can be very effective at cleaning. Used on navy ships, they are available but rather cumbersom and heavy for us yachties!
My son built one that we spin at 6K rpm and with a slow flow through we clean used grease from resturaunts to the point where we don't clog the 2 micron filters in a long while. The crud we clean out of that thing is dry and like a very fine but heavily packed silt that needs to be scraped away with a scraper! Very effective, however not really suited to the boat! Kinda scary as well. If it were ever to let go or fragment....One in e school lab went once and all the windows shattered from the blow! Pieces of aluminum went throgh cinderblock walls...We set ours up to clean a batch and get out of dodge...
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor