Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-07-2014, 10:28   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Re: Racor Assistance Please

I just completed what I think is the final, definitive test on the Racor 75/500FGX. I bypassed my entire fuel pickup system and ran a new fuel line 7ft long directly into a gerry can of diesel resting at the same height as the actual fuel tank. Double clamped the single connection. Result: Still bubbles galore.... I'm now sorry I ever layed eyes on this F&%#ing thing. The entire boat now reeks of diesel and the Racors were defective right out of the box and I'm 4000 miles from the place I purchased it.

Will contact the manufacturer on Monday, see if they have a Mallorca distributor.... then deal with the situation.

Thanks for all the help everyone. If I've missed something... please let me know.

Ken

Old 05-07-2014, 10:36   #17

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I've had a leak from the little o ring at the base of the t handle cause something like that.
+1. And it's about the easiest thing to fix. always start with the easiest if that doesn't work go to the next.( O ring at base of" lid") Finding where air is leaking in is lot harder than finding fuel leaking out so if you can pressurize the system.... As previously stated

Old 05-07-2014, 11:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd like to replace the BRAND NEW ORIGINAL O rings on the "T" handles and more specifically the BRAND NEW O ring on the switch over handle before I completely give up. There's one problem, I can't turn the nut holding the switch handle O ring in place. I have the correct tools, but it's on so tight, that it feels like something is going to break that I'm holding onto (the other parts of the filter system) if I give it any more effort.

Any ideas on how to remove the nut/bolt... whatever it is? I'm pretty sure my leak is coming from the central O ring at the switch handle. I already replaced the Racor intake fitting and even wrapped the threads with tape.... no effect.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to buy a pressure pump until Monday; this is Spain.... everything is closed until 9:30am Monday.
Old 07-07-2014, 13:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, after three days of fussing, replacing everything, 20 hours of my own labor and spending 200 dollars... I spoke with a Racor factory tech who told me the bubbles are normal and nothing to worry about... just the air being pulled out of the fuel. Then why does their own literature tell me to go through all this hassle? My entire world now reeks of diesel.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ken
Old 07-07-2014, 14:33   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Ouch!
Old 07-07-2014, 15:17   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Odd reply, I've never seen it and certainly would not consider it normal. But, if your engines are running OK then at least it is not getting to them....I would run them long and hard to make sure.

Assuming that some minor level of gas exchange takes place at 1 ATM pressure and oxygenates the fuel, I expect a lot more vaccum would be required to cause it to come out of solution than produced by a normally operating fuel system.
Old 07-07-2014, 17:55   #22

Boat: Little Harbor 38

I had the same problem last year on a single 500. After a while the engine would fail. We solved the problem with a new Racor. Now no bubbles.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-07-2014, 19:19   #23

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

One thing is clear, you have a leak. culprits can be any of the seals on the Racor, the pick up tube, the hose, any other device in-between including fittings or the seals on the 3-way ball valve. They do operate under vacuum so only a tiny leak will let in the air. I work with hydraulics so I have also seen perfectly great looking fittings leak.
Old 07-07-2014, 19:24   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Out of interest what is the reading on your vacuum gauge at high RPM?
Old 08-07-2014, 00:01   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My wife returns to Spain tomorrow. I plan on taking the boat out for several hours and putting the fuel system to a good test and will post the results. I still have the old (no bubbles) Racor standing by, and can bypass the entire system if the need arises. With her onboard to sail, I can deal with any fuel issue without having to watch where I'm going at the same time. Alone... 'not so easy.

When I pressurized the entire system using a bulb hand pump, I wasn't getting any leaks or bubbles. The fuel was flowing straight through both filters, or with the shut off closed, the bulb would simply offer more resistance indicating increased pressure. I've also replaced the entire fuel pick up hose going to the tank. If there's still a problem... it has to be the filter system.

Ken
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Out of interest what is the reading on your vacuum gauge at high RPM?
Looking at an online image of the Racor gauge kit it appears the ideal operating range is less than -7hg/-25kpa.

My hypothesis is that Racor's answer is bunk. At 1 ATM and ambient temp gas forced into solution is going to be minimal. Vaccum will bring it out of solution, but the bubbles would normally be extremely small...like champagne bubble size at most. Sounds like what the OP is seeing are larger. Would be an interesting experiment to place a fuel sample under vaccum and determine the vaccum required to cause it to off gas.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ken, have you received the PM I sent?
It doesn't seem right to me, but what do I know.

I wonder if it could possibly come from return fuel splashing into the tank instead of being returned to near the bottom of the tank? I have read that just returning the fuel to the top of the tank, allowing it to splash into the remaining fuel, can lead to air entrainment.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:00   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

The mount on my Dahl filters allow me to rotate the filter so the drain is up. I can then open the drain use the bulb to displace any air in the system, I do this whenever I change filters.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-07-2014, 11:29   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Ken, have you received the PM I sent?
It doesn't seem right to me, but what do I know.

I wonder if it could possibly come from return fuel splashing into the tank instead of being returned to near the bottom of the tank? I have read that just returning the fuel to the top of the tank, allowing it to splash into the remaining fuel, can lead to air entrainment.
The bubbles are very small like champagne bubbles, then much larger bubbles cough up through the lower white vortex guides in the clear bowl. My big concern is that the fuel seems to drain down out of the filters and is replaced by a large air bubble up in the filter section of the racor. No bubbles when I hand pumped fuel through the system using a bulb pump. I'll post the results of my test outing with the boat later tomorrow. if there is so much as a hiccup from the engine... it's going back to Racor and I'll install our Reverso fuel polishing system instead.

I need to run the engine under load at this point in order to get a better understanding of what's going on.

ken
Old 14-07-2014, 14:21   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just want to follow up and let everyone know how things worked out. Three days ago I went for a three hour motor trip to test the filter system. I ran the engine hard, medium and easy with the champagne bubbles present the entire time in the filter system.... no problems. The engine ran just fine without any issues, so I guess the Racor tech was correct. The small bubbles are just the air coming out of solution in the hose leading to the filter on the suction end, then the air must go back into solution on the pressure end.

I also ended up installing the Reverso fuel polishing module I purchased over a year ago, which runs 150 gallons of diesel through a jumbo Separ filter every hour. We were able to install custom fittings allowing the pickup and return to go right to the bottom of the fuel tank. So now we have a fuel maintenance/management system that even a 75ft power yacht would be proud of. We can polish our fuel anytime we like in about three hours. In the end, we had to spend some extra money to get things right, I now have a good understanding of how the fuel system works on the boat. And yes, the turbo Yanmar can tolerate some air going through the system. Several times during my testing and re-testing, significant amounts of air ended up getting pumped right through the injectors... no issues, no stalls.

Thanks for your many thoughtful suggestions.

Ken

Tags
lease, racor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: