Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 17:12   #16

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Racor 500MA

We were cruising at the time. It went on for about 10 years. Fuel was purchased everywhere from the US, to Venezuala. I did everything I could think of to prevent growth. The tank was removed at one point to have a leak welded. It was steam cleaned. A while later, a bllom. What I would do when I would develop the problem was to run out the fuel, pump out the very bottom, and wipe the dry tank with bio-bor. I was religious in fueling, but about every two years, I would get an algae bloom. It was just one of those things that happens. My current boat is winter stored, but that is changing soon when we head south again, this fall, and I haven't had any problems. We had to sail into many anchorages, Georgtown in the Bahamas being one, looking good. This was pre-chart plotters, and GPS only gave you Lat and Long. Little did the audience know that we had to change skivvies after dropping anchor. If I remember correctly, after adding that in line magnetic device, we didn't have any more problems. This isn't an endorsment.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 18:53   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

LOL. The PO must have believed in those magnetic alien absorption devices since there are two of them installed. I can say without a doubt that I have never had any aliens in my fuel tank ( that I am aware of) but algae have shown up from time to time. Filter changes, two engines (only run one at a time) and some of the blue Startron seems to keep the problem manageable.
Old 12-06-2011, 19:08   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadui View Post
Simple question...

Do you have to top-off the Racor 500MA with fuel after changing the filter element, or can you simply swap out old element with new and leave dry?

Thanks
If your engine is self bleeding you simply flip the key and wait. If it's not you may need to fill the Racor back up to prevent an exercise in manual bleeding.

I am a believer in draining the fuel below the filter level before changing it. Pulling a dirty filter with the Racor full can cause the fuel in the filter to become clogged with debris that fell off the filter when removing it or that was stirred up from the bottom of the bowl. When you put in the new filter some of that grunge is now on the wrong side of the filter and heading for the on-engien filter. While not a huge deal it takes very little time to manually top up the filter with fresh fuel.

I am lucky that our own boat is self bleeding. I can drain the entire Racor, change the filter then simply hit the key and wait for the tone of the fuel pump to change.... Done...
Old 12-06-2011, 19:23   #19

I always drain the bowl full of gunk when chainging the filter so I always refill to the top
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 20:51   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

A diesel mechanic once told me you could top off your filters with mineral spirits. The advantage being that it doesn't have as strong a smell as diesel and you can buy it in small quantities. I've never had the courage to try it. Has anyone else heard of doing this?
Old 12-06-2011, 22:21   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

What degree of filtration do you all use in your 500MA? THe boat I have is newish to me and has 30 micron filters.

I'm thinking of dropping to at least 10 micron.

thanks
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 10:57   #22

Boat: Beneteau 49 - WAKADUI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher
We installed outboard fuel priming bulb in fuel line next to racor, a few pumps and she's full, too easy also made bleeding engine easy
Nauticatarcher,
That is a great idea! Do you have a picture of your priming bulb and Racor?
Old 13-06-2011, 13:13   #23

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
What degree of filtration do you all use in your 500MA? THe boat I have is newish to me and has 30 micron filters.

I'm thinking of dropping to at least 10 micron.

thanks
I use 10 microns. There are 5 microns as secondary on the engines. These are older engines. Never had a fuel failure while running.
Old 13-06-2011, 15:56   #24

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadui View Post
Nauticatarcher,
That is a great idea! Do you have a picture of your priming bulb and Racor?
Sorry dont have any pictures, just cut copper fuel line and installed bulb with two short bits of fuel pipe and hose clips. Dirt cheap and no power required
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54   #25

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher
Sorry dont have any pictures, just cut copper fuel line and installed bulb with two short bits of fuel pipe and hose clips. Dirt cheap and no power required
It is a great solution but always have a spare bulb. I have one and it failed once basicly it stopped the flow. It is better to inyall it on a bypass line.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19   #26

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
My Racor is below the level of the fuel tank. I have a shut off valve near the filter. After changing the element, I open the valve a bit until it's full. No other priming is needed.
I do the same thing. Just let it fill just until the fuel starts to run out over the top, then tighten the lid. Might still be a small air bubble left in there, but it should be too small to cause a problem.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:00   #27

This is old thread but still worth a try. I just bought Racor 500MA and having some troubles finding fittings. The filter has port 3/4"-16 UNF and the fuel lines are marked ID 5/16.

It seems I will not be able to find a single piece but even with 2 parts I am having problems. I found racor adapter Thread / Thread Size: 3/4 SAE x 1/4 NPTF .

Is the 3/4"-16 UNF compatible with 3/4 SAE?
jserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:33   #28

Boat: Tartan 3000

With no other information than a Google search it seems 3/4 SAE is a 3/4-16 thread
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 02:50   #29

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I had to buy new fittings for my racor last year to make room for my fuel polisher. Mine is an older style and it was a pain to find them. I remember buying them from Zoro and they were factory Parker/Racor and had an uncommon thread. I almost made them on my lathe I was having such a time.

This is the new racor fitting, the old one like mine uses a 9/16" thread

https://www.zoro.com/parker-conversi...-s/i/G5008333/

Older 500 racor use this one

https://www.zoro.com/parker-conversi...-s/i/G5007511/
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 03:46   #30

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserge View Post
This is old thread but still worth a try. I just bought Racor 500MA and having some troubles finding fittings. The filter has port 3/4"-16 UNF and the fuel lines are marked ID 5/16.

It seems I will not be able to find a single piece but even with 2 parts I am having problems. I found racor adapter Thread / Thread Size: 3/4 SAE x 1/4 NPTF .

Is the 3/4"-16 UNF compatible with 3/4 SAE?
You probably bought it online and it was old stock. Racor sells adapters for these to NPTF fittings.

The newer ones don't require adapters because so many people complained about the idiocy of using non-standard fittings.

Racor Fuel Fitting For 500 Series Fuel Filter / Water Separators

Of course, once you've paid for the adapters you've wiped out the savings of buying it discounted online lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor