Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 16:30   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Racor 500 Question?

Anyway, everything I say here is all just speculation. I have no knowledge of what is right or wrong, just wonderment.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 16:32   #62

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Racor 500 Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I remember reading an article by Steve D'Antonio in Passagemaker some years ago where he quoted engine manufacturers as saying that the most damage to engine fuel pumps (HP) and injectors was from particulate between 5 and 10 um. It has been stated here that most damage was caused by larger particles. If he was right (and I have no idea whether he is or not) then the finer filters should be standard, but only if the fuel has been kept very clean. I can't for the life of me understand why an engine manufacturer would void the warranty over cleaner fuel. One thing that comes to mind is misinterpretation from Japanese to English. I remember how bad the service manuals used to be for Japanese products. Note: snide remark here (Much the same as the French manuals for certain auto pilots are today.)
Given the pressures at which atomized fuel hits the injector nozzles I guess I feel better cleaning the fuel as much as possible, but that may not be warranted. I don't have enough expertise to know for sure.

I installed a bypass filter on my CAT and had conversations with people who thought it a complete waste of time, but I frankly never understood the argument against cleaner oil. Same with diesel.

Tags
racor