Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 19:54   #1

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
racor 500 filter what micron filter?

I have a racor 500 fuel filter and also the engine mounted 10 micron filter. I have a bunch of 10 micron filters for the racor and was wondering if they would be ok, or should I have 20 micron catriges for the racor?
Thanks
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:03   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: racor 500 filter what micron filter?

Normally a primary filter should run a 30µm. It's set up is for catching the big stuff and the secondary for smoothing out the fuel. If you have a clean tank the 30µm will last a long time. If the tank is dirty, carry lots of spares, and spares for the secondary (10µm).
Old 03-05-2012, 20:18   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I'd use up the 10 micron Racors then switch to 30 micron. While you're using the 10 micron Racors you will probably not need to change your engine mounted filter. A vacuum gauge in the system will let you know when it's time to change the Racor.
Old 03-05-2012, 21:20   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

why don't you check with the engine manufacturer & your manual? Just sayin'

I build and specify hydraulic systems and oil pumping systems. I tend to go for finer filtration than normally required. If this causes you to have to change elements too often, you have probably identified a problem - clean the tanks. I run 10 and 3 in most industrial applications. Some equipment is very forgiving and will pass 100 micron rocks or cigarette butts. On the diesel you are protecting the fuel pump and injectors. Hard particles erode jets and accelerate wear of other close fitting components. Most filters are rated by the Beta value. A 10 micron beta 75 filter will remove 75 % of particles 10 microns. Beta 100 elements will remove 100%. Most of the stuff we get for boats is beta 75. If you really want no particles over 10 microns you need to go for finer elements.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 22:43   #5

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Hey Hopcar. Given what Racor wants for that vacuum gauge. Think there would be a market for drilling and threading the T-handle? Maybe an exchange program? I drilled and threaded mine in less than 10 minutes. Bought a 15 dollar liquid filled vacuum gauge and off I went.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:29   #6

I run 2 micron filters in mine having 2 raycor 500 units so I can switch between them . I normally get 50 hrs from each and have not had to change the secondary 2 micron on the engine except for the annul change out.. I consider it cheap insurance,

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:48   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I run 2 micron filters in mine having 2 raycor 500 units so I can switch between them . I normally get 50 hrs from each and have not had to change the secondary 2 micron on the engine except for the annul change out.. I consider it cheap insurance,

At the suggestion of a friend who is a diesel mechanic, I have also been using 2 Micron filters in a Racor 500 for several years. When I raised the issue of clogging, he pointed out that the Racor is rated for a fuel flow of 50 GPM and that our engine uses less than a gallon. Thus far we have not had any difficulty and, fortunately for us, our filter is conveniently located such that changing the filter is a quick, relatively easy, job, if necessary. Just in case, I keep a pint of clean fuel in a container so that, in the event I do have to make a switch, I can completely fill the Racor with fresh fuel when the new filter is inserted and with that, and Racor's check-valve that prevents fuel draining back into the filter from the engine, I have had no need to bleed the engine. Thus far it has worked without difficulty.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:11   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

10 micron is adequate for that application. The last thing you will want to happen is for your on engine fuel filter to plug up in a seaway. It is much more difficult to change than the racor. The fuel coming into your tank is filtered to 30 microns. Your filter should be at least 10 microns IMHO.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:11   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

I wouldn't go any larger than a 10 micron filter element on the racor unit. I use 2 micron myself, but I have a centrifuge upstream from the racors. The secondary on my engine is also 2 micron. I don't want to take any chances of garbage getting through to my engine.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Ironhorse, I like your idea. Racor is very proud of their vacuum gage kits.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14   #11

For the gauge we used after market one Fuel fixer R2D2 now sold by racor itself, they had a special on them a few weeks back

Racor Filter 500MA and Fuel Fixer R2D2 · SV Letitgo
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use 10 micron ones. when i install a second racor, i will use a 20 in it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21   #13

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvLetitgo View Post
For the gauge we used after market one Fuel fixer R2D2 now sold by racor itself, they had a special on them a few weeks back

Racor Filter 500MA and Fuel Fixer R2D2 · SV Letitgo
That is still a 20 dollar gauge for 80 bucks.

Just saying
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 17:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I'm sorry but you will see my O-C side to this: I use 4 Racors, two in line times two. With 30u first and 2 u secondary. They are all on the suction side of the pump with a suction guage. Too much? Perhaps, but saved my hind the other night when primaries became clogged and I had to get back to port.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:41   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
At the suggestion of a friend who is a diesel mechanic, I have also been using 2 Micron filters in a Racor 500 for several years. When I raised the issue of clogging, he pointed out that the Racor is rated for a fuel flow of 50 GPM and that our engine uses less than a gallon. Thus far we have not had any difficulty and, fortunately for us, our filter is conveniently located such that changing the filter is a quick, relatively easy, job, if necessary. Just in case, I keep a pint of clean fuel in a container so that, in the event I do have to make a switch, I can completely fill the Racor with fresh fuel when the new filter is inserted and with that, and Racor's check-valve that prevents fuel draining back into the filter from the engine, I have had no need to bleed the engine. Thus far it has worked without difficulty.

FWIW...
here is our set-up. Two Racors on the left with manual switching valves, vacuum guage and water alarms. Racor on the right is Gen-Set. There is also a small electric pump for forced filling of an empty bowl. Never any bleed issues for us either. The electric fill pump is beefy enough to force an air bleed through the manual pump on the Westerbeke and through the fuel rail if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03748  Eng Room ex.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	40816  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor