Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 13:05   #1

Quick question regarding cooling system bypass?

Hello!
I have a 3JH4E yanmar , with fresh water cooling (coolant , heat exchanger, raw water intake)

Now I might have to replace the engine coolant Before winterizing the engine, but I will also need to replace the hoses going to the water heater in the spring...

My question, could I simply loop the lines at the engine to make it easier to bleed and get over with it, and have less wasted coolant in the spring? I would simply blow the coolant remaining in the water heater section..
nathan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 13:23   #2

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Re: Quick question regarding cooling system bypass?

If you are changing the coolant I would recommend no bypass. A big part of changing fluid is to flush system completely..... not just a drain job. When I changed mine I removed the thermostat, drained coolant, filled with water ran engine for 5 minutes..... repeated until water came out clear. Then put new rhermostat and added nice new shell rotella antifreeze. If you’re going to do the job, do it completely.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 18:48   #3

I totally understand, but in my case time is playing against me.. I haul out tomorrow for winterizing.

I planned on replacing the coolant (only about 1 year old since purchase of the boat) but a few weeks ago I notice the hoses going to the water heater were not looking great , so I planned on replacing them in the spring ( about 16ft of hoses ) before comissionning. This is the only reason I would bypass the heater at this monent.

And, I planned on replacing the coolant in the spring also, with a new thermostat and cap, but last week when tested the coolant density (temp protection) it was way too low (about -25 celcius) for me to leave it this way.
Old 28-09-2018, 20:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes, you can do what your asking, without harm.
Just be sure to blow out every bit you can from your heater, you don’t want it freezing and busting.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 03:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Another option is drain all the coolant now. Open the block drains and get all the coolant out. When you buy hose, it may be cheaper to buy a roll on ebay.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 03:14   #6

Indeed, but I would like to minimize corrosion risks, I'll probably just do the engine part at the moment
Old 30-09-2018, 21:56   #7

Boat: Oyster 054
Send a message via Skype™ to sailian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
If you are changing the coolant I would recommend no bypass. A big part of changing fluid is to flush system completely..... not just a drain job. When I changed mine I removed the thermostat, drained coolant, filled with water ran engine for 5 minutes..... repeated until water came out clear. Then put new rhermostat and added nice new shell rotella antifreeze. If you’re going to do the job, do it completely.

Greg
Greg,

I have often wondered about flushing when changing the oil....any way to flush other than using a lot of oil?
sailian89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling