Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-10-2014, 18:51   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Question for diesel gurus

I go with oil starvation.

Did you check the oil level? Is it on the high side or the low side?

On my fishing boat I run the level at the low end of the range marked on the dipstick.
On my sailing boat I run the level a little over the upper range marked.

Old 06-10-2014, 19:03   #17

Impeller is fine.

Oil level was closer to the low point then the high point.

Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:36   #18

This morning the engine fired up as usual. After idling a few minutes I brought the RPM's up to 1200 and the knocking started again. I brought it back down to idle and the knocking decreased and then went away. It happened once more (started knocking) while at idle. I then shut it down. Oil pressure seemed normal. Oil looks normal. Exhaust steams a little. Temp seems normal.

I did put an IR thermometer on a few parts of the engine a week back and saw readings as high as 245 degrees F on the exhaust manifold, however I have no baseline to compare this to. The temp gauge reads 175 - 180.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:12   #19

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Check your engine mounts too..
Old 07-10-2014, 08:33   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Aww man...

This sounded not so bad until I read the last knock-knock report... I was hoping for a starvation, fuel or raw water...

No... just maybe we have oil starvation as the lingering demon...

Describe your knock or clatter a little better???

Take a small put around flat water with somebody else @ the helm, you with the engine... and tell us your noises from idle to 12-1500???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Could this knock be fuel related? Is it the sort of knock a diesel makes when cold but usually goes away when warm? Dirty injectors and or just a tiny bit of water in fuel can cause a Diesel to knock.
There is the top end kind of knock like cars used to make that people call valves rattling, and there is the deep hollow kind of knock, which is yours?
The deep, hollow knock can be bearings
Old 07-10-2014, 12:10   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

If it possible to make an mp3 recording of the noise when you do your next test and post it? Other than that suggestion I can't be of any help.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36   #23

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Or you can use the old screwdriver stethoscope trick.

Take a long screwdriver, and with the engine running (and knocking) put the business end of the screwdriver against the iron of the head, down the line for each cylinder. Put the other end against your ear. You'll be amazed at the different sounds you hear, but the knock will be amplified the closer you get to it.

Do the same thing with whatever areas near the crank that you can reach. Typically
a main brg knock remains at idle, a rod not so much, but engines are notoriously atypical.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43   #24

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It never hurts to send a sample of your engine oil out for analysis, even if you don't suspect a thing at all is awry. If naught else, it helps you keep tabs on the health of your engine over time. And they can tell a LOT about an engine or transmission's health nowadays by doing this. Plus, it's quick & cheap.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 13:29   #25

Boat: Alajuela 38 and Cambria 44/46

'Had the same thing happen motor sailing up Tampa bay a few years ago. 'Sounded like the engine was going to fly apart. I shut it down and had mapped out in my mind how I would pull it and rebuild it.

Restarted just to power into the slip and it was fine. I bled the injectors. There was poor flow out of one of them. After that it ran fine for 5 more years.

'Hope that's all it is,
Dennis
Old 07-10-2014, 19:03   #26

Boat: 1978 Irwin 30'

Sounds like a fuel issue, the black smoke is usually to much fuel or bad piston rings or valve seals. Usually when the piston rings or seals go bad the smoke would be constant especially when cold.
I doubt it is the bearings or rings, as once they fail it is a constant noise and not temporary.
I would seek a professional to come to your boat and look at it. Even with a minor condition such as a clogged fuel injector, major engine damage can occur and those little diesels cost some big $$$ to replace.
Old 07-10-2014, 22:41   #27

This may be far fetched, but is there any chance that you(or the kid at the fuel dock) got some gasoline in your tank? It could lead to all kinds of unusual things. It might be OK at idle, but causes knocks under load. None of your symptoms seem normal so I am just throwing that out there as a WAG.______Grant.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:01   #28

Boat: Oyster 66

It's not water as that would have made a ton of white steam that you couldnt have missed. My guess is a broken valve spring.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:13   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
It's not water as that would have made a ton of white steam that you couldnt have missed. My guess is a broken valve spring.
It can be water, a Diesel will not pass enough water through it's fuel system to generate steam, one drop of water when it hits the hot injector can and has blown the tip off of injectors.
I doubt that it is water as of course water has to get through the separator and I'm sure he has looked to see if the cup is full of water or not.
A broken valve spring wouldn't be intermittent would it?

I'm hoping a dirty or bad injector, lifters maybe and not bottom end.

As brought up earlier, an oil analysis may help as if a bearing has spun or is excessively worn, there should be very high amounts of bearing material in the oil.

You didn't just change brands or viscosity of oil did you?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:24   #30

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It can be water, a Diesel will not pass enough water through it's fuel system to generate steam, one drop of water when it hits the hot injector can and has blown the tip off of injectors.
I doubt that it is water as of course water has to get through the separator and I'm sure he has looked to see if the cup is full of water or not.
A broken valve spring wouldn't be intermittent would it?
Momosailor said he found no water in the primary filter, so another reason why it isn't water. By the way you actually can get water into an engine without always damaging it. Probably depends on the engine. Not a good idea though.

As I read it, the noise problem isn't intermittent. It happens at higher revs and reduces or goes away at idle. I think it possible that the valve can close relatively gently without the full effect of an undamaged spring to help it at low revs, but once piston speed increases it will compress gasses much faster and will slam the valve shut with a bang, hence the noise at higher revs.

It may be possible to hear or feel where the noise is coming from and I don't know the engine, but expect that its rocker cover will be an easy thing to pull to check this.

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: