Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 15:34   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Pumping out the Diesel Tank

I drilled a hole for a tank tender a couple of years ago. I did it under sail about 50 miles off shore. One of the chores I did enroute.

Loews, plumbing dept, cutting oil. Full tank, go slow,
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 18:32   #17

Boat: Valiant 40-169

At room temperature, 70-80F, there is no possibility of igniting vapours by drilling holes. Firstly the amount of fuel in the air at those temperatures is too low to be ignitable (below Lower Explosive Limit) and secondly drilling would not generate enough heat or sparks to ignite vapours if they were present.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 18:54   #18

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If you are planing on doing this at the dock, I'd be inclined to hire someone familiar with polishing fuel and tank cleaning. The downside of DYI is contaminating your marina and surrounding waters which shouldn't cost more than $3-400K to clean up plus all the miriad of government oversight, local, state and feds. If you are in an 'environmentally sensitive' area double the cost and if there is a Seminole Indian settlement within 100 miles, it will become an Environmental Justice Site and the cost just doubled again. Good luck with your tank cleaning project!! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 20:57   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
If you are planing on doing this at the dock, I'd be inclined to hire someone familiar with polishing fuel and tank cleaning. The downside of DYI is contaminating your marina and surrounding waters which shouldn't cost more than $3-400K to clean up plus all the miriad of government oversight, local, state and feds. If you are in an 'environmentally sensitive' area double the cost and if there is a Seminole Indian settlement within 100 miles, it will become an Environmental Justice Site and the cost just doubled again. Good luck with your tank cleaning project!! Phil
No Kidding! With my luck I'd probably drop the diesel tank into the water on top of a pregnant albino manatee, causing it to go belly up, catch the attention of a cadre of visiting elementary students whom are immediately psychologically damaged and causing the several retirees to have heart attacks and drive their golf carts over the edge of the marina wall.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel