Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 00:31   #46

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
re: PSS faulty Bellows

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
I got ya ,,yes return it or even get a better one someplace else. companies change production to cut cost.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:54   #47

Boat: Valiant 42
Pss faulty bellows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Sorry my photos aren't all coming up. The first photo in this post is out of order. This is with the SS collar backed off.
In this picture with the collar backed off and the measuring tape why is there no water flowing through the cooling tube?

The rest of the pictures look like it is working ok. A PSS does not like the alignment to be that far out. Maybe that's why it leaked.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:24   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
In this picture with the collar backed off and the measuring tape why is there no water flowing through the cooling tube?

The rest of the pictures look like it is working ok. A PSS does not like the alignment to be that far out. Maybe that's why it leaked.
With the SS collar backed away the water can escape below, which it was doing, out through the bottom of the ceramic. Only when the SS collar is pushed up against the ceramic does the water have no where to go so it them flows out throught the cooling tube.

And as I said before, I confirmed on Saturday that the reason it was leaking under power was simply because there was no tension on the ceramic. Being out of alignment certainly wouldn't do it any good, but a pss seal needs 'face' alignment. As long as you have enough compression any misalignment of the engine will be taken up.
Old 09-03-2015, 14:13   #49

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
With the SS collar backed away the water can escape below, which it was doing, out through the bottom of the ceramic. Only when the SS collar is pushed up against the ceramic does the water have no where to go so it them flows out through the cooling tube.

And as I said before, I confirmed on Saturday that the reason it was leaking under power was simply because there was no tension on the ceramic. Being out of alignment certainly wouldn't do it any good, but a pss seal needs 'face' alignment. As long as you have enough compression any misalignment of the engine will be taken up.
I would think the pressure from the sea water would be high enough to force water out the cooling tube. Is there a cutlass bearing or something else inside the shaft log that limits the amount of water that can enter the bellows? I would ask PYI about that but in my experience water should escape through the vent hole whether or not the SS collar is pressing against the seal.

How well centered is the shaft in the log? There is only so much misalignment the rubber hose can handle. If the shaft is not dead center of the shaft log then the bellows will be asked to take up that offset. Any amount the shaft is off center will put more pressure on one side of the seal than the other due to the unequal compression of the bellows.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 14:49   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I would think the pressure from the sea water would be high enough to force water out the cooling tube. Is there a cutlass bearing or something else inside the shaft log that limits the amount of water that can enter the bellows? I would ask PYI about that but in my experience water should escape through the vent hole whether or not the SS collar is pressing against the seal.

How well centered is the shaft in the log? There is only so much misalignment the rubber hose can handle. If the shaft is not dead center of the shaft log then the bellows will be asked to take up that offset. Any amount the shaft is off center will put more pressure on one side of the seal than the other due to the unequal compression of the bellows.
The water has to get through two cutlass bearings. One in the rear where the prop is and another in the forward part of the stern tube where the PSS is. There is plenty of water 'flowing' through both bearings at the rate as if it was 'flowing' through an 8mm tube. No pressure at all, but a good flow. You can't see it in the pictures, but it's definitely flowing below the ceramic with ease. The slightest moving of the collar onto the ceramic stops this flow of water and then it 'flows' out the cooling tube instead. So I have no concerns that this is the issue.

The 'ISSUE' is that the bellows are holding their compression and this should not occur. Regardless of any other issues their might be, such as engine alignment, there is still a problem with the bellows holding it's compression.
Old 09-03-2015, 14:54   #51

Good morning everyone (at least it is here),

I've received a few helpful emails from the wonderful guys at PYIINC in Washington and after sending them the photo's they are sending me out a new bellows. I'm planning on sending them the old one so they can research why my bellows are 'holding compression'.

That's what I call service with a smile.

This will take a while, to replace mine with their replacement and to send off the old one to them. But if I ever hear back from them as to why it failed I'll get back and post a response. They have assured me, with what I'm hearing here, that the problem I'm experiencing is not at all common.
Old 09-03-2015, 15:02   #52

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Can the PSS people supply you with some specs? Especially free unloaded length and springback load at a specified length.
If you have this info it should give you a clear indication of the state of the bellows.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 16:03   #53
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Good morning everyone (at least it is here),

I've received a few helpful emails from the wonderful guys at PYIINC in Washington and after sending them the photo's they are sending me out a new bellows. I'm planning on sending them the old one so they can research why my bellows are 'holding compression'.

That's what I call service with a smile.

This will take a while, to replace mine with their replacement and to send off the old one to them. But if I ever hear back from them as to why it failed I'll get back and post a response. They have assured me, with what I'm hearing here, that the problem I'm experiencing is not at all common.
Excellent response
I for one will be looking forward to hear what they have to say about your bellows.
Thanks for raising the issue here on CF. It's helps us all!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 19:46   #54

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I've done business with them in the past.
They're a first class company imho.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:01   #55

Please do tell us in detail what the findings are and how you make this work.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 17:54   #56

Confirmation this morning that this wonderful company has sent me a maintenance kit via UPS, with tracking number.

They have advised it's not worth the freight to send the old one back as they have concluded it is a 'one off bad part', which rarely happens.

But, what I'll do is when the new one arrives, I'll pull the old one out and I'll place them side by side and measure the compression of both in their relaxed state. It will be interesting to see what the lenght is meant to be. I'll come back here with photo's of what I find.

I'm fairly confident that as the company advises it's a very unusal situation that has occured in such a very short period of time.

Thanks everyone for your interest and assistance.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:40   #57

Boat: Marples 37

Any more info on how your problem was caused.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:07   #58

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: PSS faulty Bellows

I recently removed a 1994 fitted bellows and fitted it with a new one. PSS called for 1" compression for the 1 1/4" shaft. The old one was 1/4" shorter than the new one, with no cracking or aging shown on the rubber. It got a spray and a wipe of Armorall every few years.
Old 06-10-2015, 14:13   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
Any more info on how your problem was caused.
Hi CGirvan, I'm not going to be able to provide any more information than what I did here. I've got the boat up on the slip now and I'll replace the PSS seal with the one they sent me. But they didn't want me spending the money to send it back to them. The company is pretty confident it was a one off odd batch. The new seal has a lot more, almost an 1 " more compression than the one in the boat. So my problem, whatever caused it will be fixed.

More than anything else I was pleasantly surprised by the willingness of the company to help out. That builds good confidence.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58   #60

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I am about the put that maintenance kit as well. I have a 1" shaft, 2" tube. My original bellow is 12 years old. I have everything out for inspection. Original bellow looks great. No cracks, gauges or any signs of warping hardening with as much if not more elasticity than the new one from the maintenance kit. Does anyone know what the deal is with this extra rubber insert? I assume its for adapting for different size tubes and i'm not a fan of it. Looks like contact cement or some kind of glue is used to keep the insert. And in terms of set-screws, mcmaster has 8-18 as well as 316. pointed tip ones are listed as high-hold which would seem to improve the issue of rotor slipping. Any thoughts? My rotor takes 5/16"-18 thread.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=101uanm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0265.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	114135  
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote