Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2006, 14:25   #1

Boat: Ensenada 20
Propulsion Purchase Guidance Needed

We have an Ensenada 20 that we sail on a nearby lake (Cave Run).

I've finally had it with the various hassles associated with the too old Mariner outboard we've been using.

I'm thinking about buying an electric trolling motor. We just need propulsion for moving around the docks, or for returning to the dock in the event of a storm and unfavorable winds (could be a few miles against the wind).

I have no experience with trolling motors, and wonder if this is a good idea. I do not see any other sailboats on the lake using one (lots of Catalina 22's, 25's, 27's and some 30's and various other assorted brands/models).

If it makes sense, what size should I get, what size and type of battery should I get, and where should I shop for them? Based on my research so far, it appears that Walmart online has the best prices.

Also, would it be OK to set up an automatic bilge pump hooked to the same battery?

Thanks much for your help!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 14:59   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Minn Kota type

Electric trolling motors are not powerfull enough in my opinion. Have a look at the Minn Kota site. I used to sell them and would not suggest you use one for anything bigger than a canoe or small boat on a lake where gas motors are not allowed. A 2hp OBM will provide more power for much longer than an electric unit. I must advise though that I have not used any of the more modern units which may have more power than I am suggesting. I would get a new gas OBM from 5 to 8hp.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 17:03   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I was just in Man-O-War in the Abacos and saw a fair sized (~20') wooden sloop motoring around the anchorage on a electric trolling motor. Seemed to work fine. I only wonder how you charge the battery.

The question of a battery powered bilge pump is related. How many amp hours is the battery and how are you keeping it charge while you are away from the boat?

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 19:20   #4

Motoring

I am suggesting that motoring around the anchorage and motoring into wind and waves can be a lot different, and even if the electric motor will move the boat it will not do it for long, and the wind and waves do not always stop when the battery gets low.
There is lots of theory on this to which I say, bolt one on the boat and try it, and please report back.
Then there is the matter of charging the batteries, probably with a generator that costs as much as a good OBM.
Michael
Old 16-05-2006, 21:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Electric trolling is for what it is designed for. You would be nuts to use it for what you suggest. Buy a new outboard or at least a good second hand one.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 18:37   #6

Thanks to those of you providing feedback and advice.

I''m heeding your advice and staying away from the electric motor.

I ordered a 5hp Briggs & Stratton ( yes, B & S!! ) 4 cycle outboard from iboat.com. They cost $690 (including shipping). Significantly less than Nissan, Mercury, Honda, etc., and I'm sure the quality is lower too, but hopefully it will meet our needs. A two year warranty is included. Apparently they are noisier than the higher quality four strokers.

After I've received and used it for awhile I'll let you know how it performs.
Old 17-05-2006, 21:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So what does a Merc or Honda cost?
And seeing as I hear about Nissan from you guys quite a bit, what other name does that come out in. I have never heard of Nissan making outboards.

Old 17-05-2006, 21:37   #8

Damn Alan.

You guys down there must have a lousy market for outboard engines? If you never heard of a Nissan outboard before!!

They have been making them for many years now!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 00:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah so I keep hearing you guys mention. But I haven't heard of it. Is it a lousy market?? well actually no and that's why I was wonderign if it had another name. Like for instance, Tohatsu make a lot of Outboards for Yamaha. Lets see, the names down here I can think of are
Mercury, Honda, Suzuki, Marina, Tohatsu, Yamaha, Johnson, Evenrude and Force. Chrysler and Seagull are old nolongers.
The Honda 5Hp is sold here for NZ$1800'ish. So I was surprised to see Lightfin buy an uncommon engine for so much. I would have thought a Honda would have been around a similar price in your country.

Old 18-05-2006, 07:39   #10

Lousy market

NZ had Hino in the 60s, the US did not have them till fairly recently, and there are many other examples.
Do you have any of the very small Mercedes in the US yet? If not you must have a lousy market down there.
Michael
Old 18-05-2006, 15:05   #11

Alan, my understanding is that the Nissan and Tohatsu are identical, the only difference being the decals on the cover, and the $25 to $50 extra they charge for the one with the Nissan decal (Nissan perceived here to be higher quality and worth more money.

The 5 hp Honda or Nissan (Tohatsu) etc. would cost about double what I'm paying for the Briggs & Stratton; of course they are much better engines, but for my purposes I think/hope the lesser engine will serve my needs.

My understanding is that the B & S is essentially a 5 hp 4 stroke lawn mower engine adapted for marine use.
Old 18-05-2006, 20:25   #12

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Because you are in a confined lake and fresh water you will probably do fine with the B&S outboard. Just take good care of it not letting it get wet where it shouldn't and you will be happy.

BTW: pay particular attention to checking that the lower end does not get water in the gear oil. If you check often and discover that it is make sure that you correct the source of the leak.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 14:03   #13

Rick, thanks much for the "watch outs;" I'll try to keep an eye out for them.

Tags
propulsion