Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 00:26   #1

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Propulsion Engine Governor for Genset

Is it practicable to convert a propulsion motor to a genset motor? I presume it involves altering the governor to suit. Is this simple or complicated for a mechanic to do. Reason being I have been given a Yanmar 4cyl but already have a propulsion motor in place and am wondering if this is a viable proposition. Thanks for genset 101 comments.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 19:11   #2

Re: Propulsion Engine Governor for Genset

Most diesel propulsion engines have limiting governors that is they control the minimum rpm and the maximum RPM. A generator governor is designed to control a set rpm no matter the load variation. You need to give more information for a better response. Just my two cents, Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 19:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

There are many mechanical belt driven governors available... I've had good luck with surpluscenter.com
Old 13-02-2012, 19:56   #4

The answer is probably Yes. The Yanmar will need to have a governed speed control, but I think most diesels do. With a 4 pole direct drive generator the engine will need to turn at 1800 rpm (for 60hz) or 1500 RPM (for 50hz). A 2 pole generator will require double the engine speed which is probably pushing it for the Yanmar, not to mention the added noise, etc. You also could set it up as a DC generator and run your AC off an inverter. With DC you would have more latitude around speed.

Do you have an exact model number for the engine?
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 23:02   #5

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree
The answer is probably Yes. The Yanmar will need to have a governed speed control, but I think most diesels do. With a 4 pole direct drive generator the engine will need to turn at 1800 rpm (for 60hz) or 1500 RPM (for 50hz). A 2 pole generator will require double the engine speed which is probably pushing it for the Yanmar, not to mention the added noise, etc. You also could set it up as a DC generator and run your AC off an inverter. With DC you would have more latitude around speed.

Do you have an exact model number for the engine?
It is an 4LH series. I have good inverters so dc generator makes more sense. Thanks for the lateral thinking.

Still curious about how to alter governor though.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 01:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
It is an 4LH series. I have good inverters so dc generator makes more sense. Thanks for the lateral thinking.

Still curious about how to alter governor though.
If it has a governor then there should be nothing to alter. Just set the speed to whatever you want. It's the same control lever that is used for propulsion control. All the governor does is cause the engine to maintain a constant RPM according to the "throttle" position. A true throttle will control engine power output, and RPM will vary based on load. A governor "throttle" control seeks to maintain constant RPM, and varies the actual throttle setting in response to load.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:49   #7

G'day,
As a general rule of thumb most propulsion type diesel engines are fitted with govenor droop of around 10% where as gen sets are fitted with a govenor droop of 3% this alows voltage and cycles to be controlled within the close parameters demaned by electrical and electronic devices etc.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, propulsion