Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 15:05   #31

Boat: Fraser 42, 42 ft
Re: Proper Electric Fuel Pump Installation - Gasoline/Petrol

Hi Captain, I have the same problem, my tanks are in the keel of a sailboat, about three feet below where I can instal a pump. I recently replaced my pump. Here is the url to clearly define what I bought.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CKS4CHH/...394800_TE_dp_1

It primes an air filled system quickly and easily. It looks to be substantial and well made. I hope it will last a long time, but time will tell. My system is diesel yours is gasoline. The pump is rated for either.

Rod
Sawleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 17:44   #32

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Chotu,

There's another problem with high suction lift of gasoline. Combining a high suction lift configuration with high ambient temperature can cause vapor lock.

At the risk of thread drift, I've had personal experience with this. I grew up hearing my grandparents talking about their vehicles stalling from vapor lock while driving in the High Sierras, but those were carbureted engines, and I didn't give it much thought by the time I started driving. But then on a road trip I experienced a mysterious sudden power loss and eventual engine shut-down in a 90s era car with a fuel injected engine. The altitude was only about 4500 feet, but it was close to 110 F. Anyway, at first I thought it was a fuel pump failure. So I crawled under the car, hoping to hear the pump run when my GF switched on the ignition. But once I was close to the tank, I could hear a gurgling noise, and when I got out from under and opened the filler cap, there was a an obvious sucking sound, followed by gas gushing out! Put the cap back on, engine started, drove away, but it happened again 30 miles later. Wound up having to finish the rest of the trip with no filler cap on, just to keep it running. Later diagnosed as a tank vent issue, part of the emission controls. The combination of the 100+ F weather and the failed tank vent control literally had the gasoline boiling in the tank.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 17:54   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Chotu,

There's another problem with high suction lift of gasoline. Combining a high suction lift configuration with high ambient temperature can cause vapor lock.

At the risk of thread drift, I've had personal experience with this. I grew up hearing my grandparents talking about their vehicles stalling from vapor lock while driving in the High Sierras, but those were carbureted engines, and I didn't give it much thought by the time I started driving. But then on a road trip I experienced a mysterious sudden power loss and eventual engine shut-down in a 90s era car with a fuel injected engine. The altitude was only about 4500 feet, but it was close to 110 F. Anyway, at first I thought it was a fuel pump failure. So I crawled under the car, hoping to hear the pump run when my GF switched on the ignition. But once I was close to the tank, I could hear a gurgling noise, and when I got out from under and opened the filler cap, there was a an obvious sucking sound, followed by gas gushing out! Put the cap back on, engine started, drove away, but it happened again 30 miles later. Wound up having to finish the rest of the trip with no filler cap on, just to keep it running. Later diagnosed as a tank vent issue, part of the emission controls. The combination of the 100+ F weather and the failed tank vent control literally had the gasoline boiling in the tank.
Can that happen with a marine tank? There is a vent to the open atmosphere by the fuel fills.

I have had odd instances of fuel failing to deliver to the engines.

I should hopefully not have 100+F temps inside the boat. Good lord I'm hoping not. Haha

To all:. Thanks for all this great information. I'm really learning a lot about what I thought was a fairly simple thing. Apparently, a lot of devil in the details stuff here. Looking to start with a very reliable displacement pump and maybe add a hand priming bulb for extra boost and to ease the pump's work on start-up.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fuel, fuel pump, grass, installation, pump, rope