Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-10-2014, 08:44   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
Propane outboard

I am considering the Lehr outboard for my walkerbay dinghy. Anyone using this product? I am looking at 2.5 hp short shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 19-10-2014, 08:56   #2

Re: Propane outboard

My friend who is a maintanence manager for a large local sailing club has very low opinion of them. Their club acquired a bunch of them when they first came out few years back for their 26' and under fleet and for the dinghies but due to frequent breakdowns and other issues such as rusted fitting etc. have now switched to pretty much all to Torquedo electrics. I was surprised myself at his opinion as I was going to add just such a 2.5 hp Lehr for my dinghy which now is just an oared operation as I hate having gasoline onboard. May just go with Torquedo instead for the next season.

He mentioned something to the effect that they go through propane like a thirsty sailor through beer and are very inefficient on more than a very short trip before the need to change the canister. And who would keep a 10 or even a 5 pounder on a dinghy not to mention a 20 pounder? Defeats the whole purpose.

Old 19-10-2014, 09:14   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

First I have to tell you that I'm a Lehr dealer.

That said, I've owned a Lehr 2.5 for about two years now and I love it.
It replaced a Suzuki 2 cycle that was a pain to start after not using it a month or more. My use pattern is that the engine will sit unused for long periods of time, then I'll use it a lot for several days.

After it's been sitting for a long time, I need to bleed air out of the fuel line which takes less than five minutes. After that it will start on the first or second pull every time.

Last week I loaned my engine to a customer. I told him I thought he'd be happier with the 5.0 but to try my 2.5 to see if he liked the propane fuel. Sure enough he came back and bought a 5.0 Lehr. He wanted the largest engine he could easily lift on and off his dinghy but he didn't need to get it up on a plane.

I think the 2.5 would be plenty for a Walker Bay, as long as you are happy at displacement speeds.

You can expect about an hour's run time at wide open throttle from the one pound cans. I use one of the 11 pound fiberglass tanks as my main fuel and carry a can as a fuel reserve.

If you decide to buy one, I'd love the opportunity to quote you on it.
Old 19-10-2014, 18:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

Thanks for the feedback. I am in Canada so doubt a purchase in Miami would work but thanks for the offer. There is a used 2.5 at a local dealer that someone traded in for a larger gas motor. I would get a larger tank and share it with my BBQ on board and the outboard if I go that direction. I have heard mixed reports but the idea of not having to worry about an unleaded fuel tank has me undecided. I read a review on the small outboards and mercury did get the best review. I had considered tohatsu before the article.

I have the rib option on my dinghy so may need a 5.0 minimum.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-10-2014, 18:20   #5

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Unless island time and I know the same club, what I've heard from friends of mine and a manager at another club with multiple lehrs echoes island time's comments exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
outboard, propane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: