Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2018, 10:58   #46

Re: Progression of fuel filters

I think the theory of using coarser and then finer filters is the coarse filter will take out the big stuff, while not stopping the flow. If you use only 2 micron, larger stuff may stop the flow entirely rather quickly. Of course if your tank is quite clean etc you will likely have no problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 13:16   #47

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

thank you
I do not think is overkill,once you had a dead engine at midnight in the middle of a shipping lane you do this and more.
Trying to visualize the setup.
You run two filters that you call fuel polishers?are then independent of the two racors that supply the engine filter?
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 13:33   #48

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
thank you
I do not think is overkill,once you had a dead engine at midnight in the middle of a shipping lane you do this and more.
Trying to visualize the setup.
You run two filters that you call fuel polishers?are then independent of the two racors that supply the engine filter?
Assuming you were asking me? I did a detailed post on this thread of my setup, post #4.

But yes, I have the standard 500 Racor that pulls from its own fitting on the tank, this supplies engine in normal mode. My engine has the normal 2 micron engine filter from Westerbeke. Probably very similar to what you have now.

My setup is completely standalone and acts as a polisher whenever my engine is running. The benefit of repurposing industrial stainless filter housings is A) they are stupid cheap B) they use huge filters that are also stupid cheap. Everything else is just piping and a fairly inexpensive ($50) diesel pump.

If needed I can bypass the Racor and supply fuel to engine using polisher. At that point I can change the Racor, and then prime filter using polisher. Then switch back to normal mode. I've run this for 3 years now and my fuel is super clean and never had a fuel issue.

I change the polisher filters every fall at haul out but that's probably overkill. What I have noticed is that the dirt load on the Racor has dropped a lot. I used to take out Racor every fall and it was darkish color but still OK. Now when I pull the Racor in fall it looks like I just put it in, still pinkish.

Let me know if you want more details.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2377890
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160313_174430.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	168983  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 14:04   #49

thank you very much,overlooked your prior posting,very nice,will print it and study in details,I like it a lot and the idea of been able to bypass the racors is also very good,there are times that any number of backup systems and redundancy dont seem enough.
When I was cruising Mexico I built a "polishing" system with huge filters that Mack trucks used on the outside,if you remember those times,the whole system just a few "pesos" but did not think about having that setup permanent,of course not those size filters!
Am very happy ran into this thread and your idead.
Definitively a keeper.
take care.
David
Old 30-04-2018, 14:24   #50

No problem let me know if you have questions.

The Shelco filter housings that I have are the FOSBN-786 and these take 9 3/4" filters. I buy these in 10 & 5 micron.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9982t13/=1cn4rx4

Shelco does make a smaller housing that looks ideal but I can't seem to find the 3-3/4" filters for it.

1 of the housings I have is plenty for a polisher, I don't think the 5 micron really does anything other than look cool

One thing I have noticed is that if you remove the filter from my housing to replace, you need to top off with fuel first to prime it. This doesn't need to be clean diesel since it will get polished anyways, but sometimes it's a pain to get 1 quart of diesel when you need it. I keep a heavy plastic juice bottle full of diesel for just this purpose. In reality it happens with boat in back yard every fall so non issue.

The last gremlin that I had to work out was creating a separate fuel pick up for polisher. Originally I just tied into existing fuel line, but the polisher pump is way more powerful than the engine pump and it would starve the engine for fuel. So that's when I made that separate dip tube for my tank and since then it's been flawless.

In fact it's been running for the last 24 hours getting ready for spring up here in MA. Call it 1500 gals I've polished in a day?
Old 30-04-2018, 16:01   #51

some time this week will stop by the car parts and see what is available,agree will be nice smaller housings for a permanent set up,when I had my system the problem after use was storage,diesel has a persistent way to drip for ever and smell forever,yf I find anything smaller w ill post
Old 30-04-2018, 17:30   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use 2 micron in my Racor primaries. When new the vacuum reads zero so I don't believe there is any flow restriction. I change after about 500 hours when the vacuum is reading about 7". I have a fuel manifold so everything runs thru the primary. The Detroit mains alone draw 70 gallons an hour.
A side benefit of running really clean fuel is items within the fuel system last longer. Like pump valves, injector pumps and the injectors. Especially Detroit 2 cycle injectors that have a lot of tight internal parts.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:29   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t understand the vacuum reading zero. I see that often, but if your tank is below the engine then the pump has to pull the fuel against gravity, and you will have vacuum. The min vacuum I see with a brand new filter, engine at idle is about 10 inches of mercury, or I think the gauge is calibrated in inches of mercury anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 13:37   #54

My tank, engine and Racor have almost no elevation change in fact my engine is probably below the Racor.

I machined this up. The handles are shrunk fit so the cross bore doesn't go thru the hex. The gage was given to me by one of my manufacturers they make high spec gauges for the military. The stock Racor one I had got all cloudy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160615_162007.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	169043  

Tags
fuel, fuel filter