Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 15:20   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Problems with raw water pump, Volvo Penta 2003T.

In this picture,

Both bearings are on this (the upper) side of the weep opening in the middle of the pump.

The water seal is on the bottom of the opening shown at center in the picture, the oil seal is at the top of the opening. Again, item 8 (spacer ring 859101, out of production from Volvo), which fits between the water seal and the oil seal in the center of the weep opening, would probably have prevented this.

If the spacer ring isn't available from Depco or the original manufacturer of the pump, probably Johnson or Jabsco, it shouldn't be too hard to make one from a piece of PVC pipe or a 3/16" or so piece of flat plastic stock (UHMW, Delrin, etc.).
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 23:54   #17

Thank you for presenting the drawing!
I have had a look at that before. But my pump is slightly different. The cover have 6 screws, the impeller have more "wings" the gasket is not a O-ring but paper as examples. I have been searching for a drawing showing the pump I have but no success. They are maybe not too different?

I will take the pump apart today and will show the results here.
Four_winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:00   #18

The bearing and seals arrangement should be virtually identical.

Your impeller looks something like this one? Notice the different cover gaskets and oring in the VP 21951346 imp kit for your engine.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:16   #19

Yes that is the impeller kit I use for my pump.

I have now managed to take pump apart.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...e993a0e4d9.jpg

There was no o-ring (11) in my pump?

I don't know if it was put together wrongly.

I will change the two seals, (gray ring is out of production) and the o-ring.

But the big question is if this will solve the problem. IF the pump was assembled correct, then it will happen again. I think I need to look at the heat exchanger as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150901_153526.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	108221  
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23   #20

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

The seal is outside the pump housing.

It's assembled wrong.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:49   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That #11 Oring is just a sling seal and not critical at all. It missing wasn't the cause of your leak.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:53   #22

Thank you for your comment!

I have to admit I struggle to see how it can be assembled differently?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:00   #23

Your pump is a Johnson p/n 10-24268-4. Found this drawing:

http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/...10-24268-4.pdf

Which seems to indicate that the seals can be installed from either end.

More important to glue the seals in, make sure they're in the correct place in the housing (i.e. exactly as shown in the drawing), and that there is as little restriction as possible in the system.

I would reuse item 8 spacer and get an oring to replace item 11 from the hardware or auto parts store. I've heard that its' purpose is to keep water from entering the engine in case of a water seal leak, but I've never seen it.
Old 01-09-2015, 16:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
I would reuse item 8 spacer and get an oring to replace item 11 from the hardware or auto parts store. I've heard that its' purpose is to keep water from entering the engine in case of a water seal leak, but I've never seen it.
Its purpose is as a sling seal to cause any water that leaks past the water seal to drip out through the weep hole when it gets to the o-ring. It doesn't seal anything.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:20   #25

Gents,
Thank you all for the contribution and comments!

I think I have solved the problem.

Between the two lib-seals there is this a gray plastic ring. I did not really understood the purpose until today. The gray ring (Item 8) is a spacer to keep the two lib-seals apart and in place. That is done with four small pins. But two of the pins a broken on my pump, hence the seal can and will move out as shown on the first picture I posted.

The following picture illustrate this:
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...902_205958.jpg

Any comments? ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150902_205958.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	108320  
Old 02-09-2015, 12:31   #26

Well... see posts 14 and 16 above.

Since item 8 is out of production from Volvo, check the drawing here:

http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/...10-24268-4.pdf

get the Johnson p/n off the drawing and contact Depco (or other Johnson supplier) and see if they have it. Or you can make one from a piece of PVC pipe or a flat piece of plastic of the appropriate thickness...

If it were me I'd still check for restriction and glue the seals in place. I've rebuilt pumps and left the spacer out with no problems.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:45   #27

Yes, and Thank you. I acknowledge that. By cementing the seals the spacer is maybe not required.

In relation to restriction. I have the feeling that the amount of water coming out is OK. It looks "normal". I have no over-heating issues.
Old 02-09-2015, 13:40   #28

While the spacer does separate the two seals, the seals should not be loose in the housing and should not work out of it that easily. I have used permatex gasket sealer to mount seals in housings with good success.

There is nothing special about that spacer - it isn't a precise fit or anything. I know Depco sells them for other Johnson pumps and suspect they will work just fine in yours.

Mark

Old 02-09-2015, 15:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_winds View Post
By cementing the seals the spacer is maybe not required.

In relation to restriction. I have the feeling that the amount of water coming out is OK. It looks "normal". I have no over-heating issues.
Regarding restriction, I have an MD2020 with rubber boots on the heat exchanger. When I got the engine it had the original exhaust riser that was clogged up with rust. I unclogged it as best I could, put it back on, and it worked fine, with what appeared to me to be normal flow from the exhaust and no overheating. Only thing was that the upstream heat exchanger blew up (expanded) like a balloon. With a clean heat exchanger. I had to put a valve on the output of the pump to modulate the flow, and then used it like that for about four years.

I recently changed the exhaust riser, now the boot doesn't expand at all, even with the valve wide open.

All engines have their own idiosyncrasies, even within the same model. It could be that in your application the pump puts out too much flow, or there could be a piece of impeller stuck in a pipe somewhere, or a restriction in the heat exchanger or exhaust elbow, or (remotely) too much exhaust back pressure.

I'm a big fan of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', so if the engine's not overheating, I'd take a chance and put the pump back together, with the seals glued in, a new spacer and o'ring (or not), and give it a try. Make sure there's no oil where the seals seat, or on the seals, when you install them.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:55   #30

Again, thank you very much for the valuable comments!

While waiting for the parts to arrive I am searching for the right Permatex product. There are so many different permatex gasket sealer. Can anyone provide my with the best product for this?

I found something called: "Permatex Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing"
Would that be the best product?

Regarding the right grease I have some volvo penta grease (it is blue) would that be OK for the bearings?

Tags
penta, raw water, raw water pump, volvo, water