Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 10:05   #76

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Re: Predatory Volvo Parts Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Posting part number crossmatches for all engines is an excellent idea.
I believe all manufacturers do this, maybe not mark it up so bad, but it's done by all.
Usually they are smart enough to put their own part number on it though, making you find the same part from another source difficult. By not changing the part number, Volvo is either pretty brazen, or not very smart.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The readers of this forum are not cross representative of all boat owerns.

volvo does it because they probably outsell the Mitsu 10 to 1.

most people, boat owners, don't even think about it. Thier mechanic is doing the thinking for them, so all they do is write out the check. It's a system that works for everyone involved; just not us, that's why we spend hours on this forum.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:16   #77
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
It would be a great idea to offer centralized "compare and match" web site of all the various marine engine parts and doodahs and their exact non-marine equivalents. I would contribute with my Fram oil filter for my Universal 5432 which I got at Walmart for $3.49. Our local Universal dealer sells same OEM filter for $20+ just because the outside is painted with Universal logo. I'll bet you Kubota prices it somewhere in between.
I'm not familiar with your engine, but are you really certain that the OEM filter is actually a Fram? Have you scratched off the paint, and found it to be painted orange underneath? :-)

Many assume that if a cross reference can be found, the filters are "identical". Not necessarily the case, the media can be quite different, one brand might lack an anti-drainback valve, for instance...

But I think the point some others are making, it's not hard to poke around a bit and find better deals that might make buying a Fram from Walmart to be false economy... For example, I've been using Fleetguard full-flow filters (OEM for Cummins), in concert with an Amsoil Bypass filter. Rare to see my filter priced below $10-12, but the last batch I ordered was from a vendor on eBay who sells them for $1.50 each. The hitch, of course, is the $10 markup for shipping... But their shipping cost for 'Each additional item' is only $0.50, so when purchasing half a dozen or so at a time, I'm getting a filter of much better quality than your Fram from Walmart, for a rough equivalent in total cost...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
The readers of this forum are not cross representative of all boat owerns.

volvo does it because they probably outsell the Mitsu 10 to 1.

most people, boat owners, don't even think about it. Thier mechanic is doing the thinking for them, so all they do is write out the check. It's a system that works for everyone involved; just not us, that's why we spend hours on this forum.
I really don't know what tack your on. I would think most boat owners do their own maintainance whenever possible.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:35   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Not to try to brand trash but I wouldn't put a Fram on my lawnmower.
Years ago Consumer Reports did a test on oil filters and the Fram did very poorly, there are several tests, and at least on the Duramax Diesel, there have been burst cans with Fram, but the Dmax engine is known for extremely high cold oil pressures too.

I stick with Mobil 1 or K&N oil filters (I believe they are the same actually except for the nut on the bottom of one)

But, the most important thing you can do for your engine is change the oil and filter, pretty much regardless of the brand, our engines just don't stress the oil, or operate in environments where the best filter is required, but they do soot up the oil as all Diesels do.

I would really like a parts cross match for things like starters, injectors, water pumps etc. for my Yanmar 4-JHBE, as Mark said, there are markups on all Marine Diesels, not just Volvo, plus maybe where I need a starter, marine parts may not be available, but a local John Deere dealer may well have the starter or injectors etc. so it's not just the money, it's availability too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:38   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I really don't know what tack your on. I would think most boat owners do their own maintainance whenever possible.

From the majority I've seen, maybe not. From what I've seen many don't even know their engine is fresh water cooled, nor do they have any idea at all what a dryer is on there refrigeration system, what a sight glass is or what it should look like, for example.
I'd bet most don't even know where their compressor is unless it's in the way.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 11:20   #81

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post

Most boat owners do not do their own maintenance. That's why there are boat yards and boat mechanics. Of course there's maintenance and there's maintenance. Some folks would change the oil or coolant but not a water pump. We all have our limits. Some of us don't know our limits.
Old 19-01-2015, 11:41   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Someone could make a ton of money (in advertising revenues) starting a website that cross references less expensive parts.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 12:31   #83

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Do most boat owners do their own maintenance? Probably not. Do most cruising sailors (the main demographic for this forum) do their own maintenance? Much more likely. Do most live-aboard long term cruisers do their own maintenance? A large proportion do.

And for the latter group, especially those cruising in more remote areas, the ability to cross reference consumables for their engines is a good feature. For those that seem to believe that the more popular engines ( Yanmar and Volvo for instance) have good parts availability in remote areas, just because there is an agent listed in the manual... well, they just haven't traveled to such places very much, for it isn't always true.

So, leaving off this quality vs price squabble, lets try to set up some sort of info exchange like many seem to want. I think it would benefit the group at large.

Jim
Old 19-01-2015, 12:33   #84

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Rognvald (troll): I'm not sure why you are attacking me personally & I certainly am not looking for sympathy. Pretty big leap there. Warning people about problems with a particular brand of marine diesel is a designed function of a boating forum & is helpful not only to owners of that brand but anyone considering buying a boat with that brand of motor. Berating people sharing information is not just mean spirited, it's counterproductive.

Scout,
I would hardly be classified as a "troll" by any reasonable person on this Forum(almost 1100 posts) but I also don't think I would be a contender for the Cruisers Popularity Award. However, this is not the point. It has never been my goal to attack people on this Forum but rather to present ideas/concepts that are either unknown, contrary or not expressed. . . some of which are controversial. Some people become defensive when challenged . . . especially when they are insecure about their positions and statements. I'm sorry if you felt berated but that's a personal confidence issue that you must resolve when dealing with those of opposing viewpoints. If you want to participate in a Forum among intelligent and knowledgeable respondents, you must be prepared, at times, to have your positions challenged. This is not an attack or a beratement but rather the process of communication and intelligent discussion. So, no apologies are needed on either end and we can both move forward hereon. So, if you're ever anchored next to me in a quiet secluded cove, I can assure you I won't offer you a cocktail and will probably move my boat . . . but that's not about you . . . it's about me(did I see a smile there?). Remember the famous words of the great English Bulldog Winston Churchill--"Whenever two people think the same about everthing . . . only one person is thinking." Good luck, good sailing. Capt. Rognvald--falsely accused of attacks, beratement and irreconcilable trollmanship
Old 19-01-2015, 12:37   #85

Boat: Scout 30

Excellent post Jim! For the 2003t the Napa Gold filter 1348 replaces the oil filter & the Gold filter 3358 replaces the fuel filter.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 12:40   #86

Boat: Scout 30

Here is a link to an Ebay seller who is selling various stainless steel mixing elbows for Yanmars & Volvos. haileyseye on eBay
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 12:46   #87

Boat: Camano Troll

Creating and maintaining a cross reference guide for boat parts would be a very big and time consuming undertaking and it would never end. There could also be some liability if someone used it to select a part and it caused damage or led to personal injury or death.

It's not something I would be willing to do for free or even for pay.

Personally, I have found the Internet provides much of this cross referencing already. It just takes a bit of effort.
Old 19-01-2015, 14:26   #88

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hi, so, what really is the Volvo Penta 2001 (single cyl 10hp)?
Gil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 15:12   #89

Hi Gil
The VP 2001 is a Volvo Penta.
The 2000 series was the last small Diesel engine range made by Volvo themselves.
VP 2001 -single cylinder
VP 2002 - 2 cylinder
VP 2003 - 3 cylinder
VP 2003T - 3 cylinder with turbo added.
Lot of the parts were interchangeable.
Harold

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Moody guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 16:07   #90

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Thanks Harold. Mine is working fine right now so I'm not even going to look at it funny until the next oil change.. I always wonder if I had to replace parts though.. I'll carry at least a couple water pump impellers..

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, volvo