Today I did the following to the outboard:
*Inspected the fuel's path from the tank to the fuel pump, cleaning
the filter with some acetone
*Took apart the fuel pump (it looked like new)
*Took apart the carb, took out the needles and float, etc... (it looked like new as well)
*Took the cylinder head
off (plug was a little bit gummy for a new one I just put in, and piston and cylinder head
dome were sooted - cleaned both up)
*Ran though entire electrical system
checking connections and WD-40ing.
*Inspected the reed (all in one piece and flexes properly)
*THEN went to fuel dock
and dumped out old fuel and bought new fuel and new outboard mix oil
The thing worked so-so on the way back. It was getting maybe 7/8 power after working well on the initial start. I think that leaves me with only the electrical
to check into. There aren't really any other parts
of the engine!!
So, if it doesn't work on Monday when we commute in to work, I'll post that up here and follow up the thread with hopes that someone will be able to learn from this problem when they Google
it. If it doesn't work, I'll be getting a new set of everything electronic (brain unit, capacitor, etc... CDI
If that doesn't work... well... I'm stumped!