Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2012, 18:57   #16

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Piece of Broken Starter in Engine

I have never seen a diesel engine kick back(just lucky i guess) and there are not that many ways in which a diesel could kick back anyway,,,you might experience something similar if there is a flat spot in the commutator of the starter motor,as this would cause a non voltage spot in the starter which would act very much like kick back on a gasoline motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
How common is kickback? In 40 years of owning diesels I have never had that problem nor heard of it. I wonder if the rebuild shop was doing a little of CYA because they didnt know what the problem was? A few years ago I had a Yanmar starter rebuilt at a local shop, and when I put it back on it sounded horrible. I took it back to them and they discovered that they had put the wrong gear on it. They were good about correcting the problem, but it could have done major damage if it had been used for any length of time. And Oh Yes, I am very familiar with kickback in old hand crank gas engines. _____Grant.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 19:36   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Many bell housings are tight quarters but often have a "sump" at the bottom to permit junk to accumulate safely. This might keep the part out of harms way. Also good points about an access port.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:52   #18

Boat: 73 pearson 35

try Harbor Freight,
Wireless Inspection Camera - Great Deals on Wireless Inspection Cameras at Harbor Freight

This is something i was given as a present and would of never bought myself.......seem to use it all the time.
My Thoughts
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 22:28   #19

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

A useful bit of kit for you long distance sailing guys where electric is precious is a Spring starter, No batteries required for starting. I used them for years with great success on big plant diesels.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 18:56   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
try Harbor Freight,
Wireless Inspection Camera - Great Deals on Wireless Inspection Cameras at Harbor Freight

This is something i was given as a present and would of never bought myself.......seem to use it all the time.
My Thoughts
Mark
I have to gem me one of those.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 13:33   #21

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I just bought another starter from Masco, a high torque gear reduction. there is no nose piece on it to crack, the gear is supported by the shaft. When talking to them they mentioned about the cheap Chineese starters braking the nose piece. It was all them I never mentioned my problems to them.This starter looks really good, different but good.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 02:48   #22

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Deborahlee, I presume you have refitted the new starter by now, if anyone else has a broken nose cone you can usually get all the broken pieces out by using a magnet on a flexispring handle(sold in most chandlers) just keep fishing until all the pieces are out of the bottom of the bell housing and accounted for.. Because it's such a critical piece of kit I only buy top quality, preferably Bosch The previous blog I posted about spring starters is well worth investigation, if you 'Google' Spring starters it will take you to the link.
I hope this helps someone.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 07:10   #23

I decided to install the Masco starter and save the Yanmar just in case. It has been in over a month now and used an average of more than once a day. It has been working extremly well better than the OEM. It bolted right up no changes had to be made. So far I would get another one but don't think I'll need to.
Old 29-12-2012, 01:38   #24

Quick update. Season is over and the new Masco started I installed has worked extremly well. Appears to have more torque and starts engine quicker. This is an aftermarket starter not a knock off. It has a different design but mounts with no problem or changes and nooo broken pieces. Over 300 starts.

Tags
engine