Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2018, 11:41   #46

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Perkins M20 - Removed head and this lovely sight presented me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbieres View Post
Thanks for your replies.

First of all apologies for getting confused with the metric vs imperial and putting the dot in the wrong place .25 over is what I am looking for. So my bore is 67.25 mm and the pistons that came out of it were marked "25" on top.

Additional research seems to indicate that this engine is used in the Ford GT75. The Shibaura egine number appears to E673L.

My issue remains with the size of my bore. Volvo Penta seem to be the only ones with the .25 oversize. I spoke with parts4engines and he was very helpful, but only has .5 for his smallest oversize. I spoke with a tractor dealer in the states about the GT75, and he sais the same thing. .5 is his smallest oversize.

It seems strange that this engine was bored out at this diameter. Any thoughts? VP couldn't have done it to insure that we can't find fairly priced pistons, could they have?
Alright. So I guess I will ask the obvious question. Why not just rebore to 67.5 and buy a rebuild kit. According to the service manual 67.5 is actually considered a "first" rebore on that motor.

Unfortunately I think your only options are to either rebore or pay Volvo. I guess you could try calling TAD diesel. I have not called them myself, but others have reported great service from them. Maybe they will be able to shed some light on your whole .25 overbore.

http://www.tadiesels.com/perkins-engines.html
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 14:16   #47

Thanks for your reply.

I only need 1 piston and 3 sets of rings, so it hurts a bit to shell out 400 and some odd E for just that. A rebore and a full rebuild kit would be at least that.

One .5 oversized piston is 30 E and then 14E a set for the rings, so I guess that's why I'm sniffing around. I agree though, it looks like I will have to either pay volvo or rebore.

Thanks for the link to TAD. They were helpful but we couldn't find any better solution with them either
corbieres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 05:37   #48

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbieres View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I only need 1 piston and 3 sets of rings, so it hurts a bit to shell out 400 and some odd E for just that. A rebore and a full rebuild kit would be at least that.

One .5 oversized piston is 30 E and then 14E a set for the rings, so I guess that's why I'm sniffing around. I agree though, it looks like I will have to either pay volvo or rebore.

Thanks for the link to TAD. They were helpful but we couldn't find any better solution with them either
I hear ya.. but call me crazy, if you are going that far, why not a complete rebuild.

I know you read tons of bad crap about Volvos here on CF, but those Shibaura blocks are a great engine. In fact, they are some of the most common diesel engines in the world. In the oilfield we find those engines used in all kinds of equipment (pumps, compressors, even skidsteers). Hell I used one compressor with the 30HP version of that block that had 20,000 hours on it.

Anyway.. Thats just me.

Good luck.. Post back at once you solution turned out to be.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:31   #49

Just a quicknote to jimbunyard as I went looking for the Perkins engine number after reading his post(I have the 103.07 also). No Perkins number, but behind the header tank I found the Shibaura engine number(E673).
Not big news and probablt ground that has already been covered, but it confirms the relationship between the MD2020D, Perkins 103.07, and the Shibaura E673.
corbieres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, perkins